What's new

Connaught Shaving and Rising U.S. $/U.K. Pound Exchange Rate = Amazing Shave Soap & Cream Pricing for U.S. Buyers

Straight up credit card. Per many B&Ber posts Connaughts is a reputable retailer so no reason to add another middleman to the transaction. You should be able to call your credit card company to confirm the transaction charges that would be applied.
During checkout on Connaughts site if using credit card straight up, will you see the exchange rate fees before purchase like I did with PayPal? I wouldn’t like it if I didn’t see any fees during checkout, and then when I see my credit card statement at the end of the month and then bam!!! Surprise!!!!!

During checkout on Connaughts site if using credit card straight up, will you see the exchange rate fees before purchase like I did with PayPal? I wouldn’t like it if I didn’t see any fees during checkout, and then when I see my credit card statement at the end of the month and then bam!!! Surprise!!!!!
The Connaught's transaction is entirely in British pounds. It's your credit card company that translates that into dollars and adds any fee so any retailer will not typically have visibility to that. The current exchange rate is roughly $1.16 U.S. per GBP so just multiply the Connaught price in GBP by that factor to get a rough idea of the U.S. $ cost. 420 GBP should come out to something around $490 U.S. based on the above exchange rate. A foreign transaction fee would be in addition to this.

If you have a phone app for your card you can quickly see the price in dollars for the pending transaction. Any credit card foreign transaction fee will be per your credit card contract terms and you won't see that until Connaught ships and turns the pending transaction into an actual charge. I can only tell you the $2.14 Chase charged me as a foreign transaction fee per my earlier post above. Hope this helps.

P.S. Guessing given the 420 GBP cart mentioned above you were buying more than just some shaving software. What caught your eye at Connaught?

The Connaught's transaction is entirely in British pounds. It's your credit card company that translates that into dollars and adds any fee so any retailer will not typically have visibility to that. The current exchange rate is roughly $1.16 U.S. per GBP so just multiply the Connaught price in GBP by that factor to get a rough idea of the U.S. $ cost. 420 GBP should come out to something around $490 U.S. based on the above exchange rate. A foreign transaction fee would be in addition to this.

If you have a phone app for your card you can quickly see the price in dollars for the pending transaction. Any credit card foreign transaction fee will be per your credit card contract terms and you won't see that until Connaught ships and turns the pending transaction into an actual charge. I can only tell you the $2.14 Chase charged me as a foreign transaction fee per my earlier post above. Hope this helps.

P.S. Guessing given the 420 GBP cart mentioned above you were buying more than just some shaving software. What caught your eye at Connaught?
Actually I forget what the cost was in pounds, but when I went online and did the pounds to USD conversion, the USD price was $420. Then when in PayPal after the exchange fee it pumped up to $456 USD.

They had either a 15% or 25% discount on Fatip razors and Semogue brushes, and I had a bunch of both. Then a bunch of SV soaps in tins and refill pucks, a bunch of Dr Harris soaps, MWF soap refills, MFW in wooden bowl and ceramic bowl, then other misc soaps Lea, Tabac, Cella etc. The price in the cart shot up pretty quick lol

Last edited:
Actually I forget what the cost was in pounds, but when I went online and did the pounds to USD conversion, the USD price was $420. Then when in PayPal after the exchange fee it pumped up to $456 USD.

They had either a 15% or 25% discount on Fatip razors and Semogue brushes, and I had a bunch of both. Then a bunch of SV soaps in tins and refill pucks, a bunch of Dr Harris soaps, MWF soap refills, MFW in wooden bowl and ceramic bowl, then other misc soaps Lea, Tabac, Cella etc. The price in the cart shot up pretty quick lol
Agree it took a lot of self control not to run up the total - decided to max out Mitchell's and stick to a 60 GBP order budget. My new items to try are the D.R. Harris and Mitchell's Bath Soap. Would have added a Tabac instead of stocking up on Arko if they had the original tallow formula. Have you used the Lea before? Thought about it and demurred as the refills were out-of-stock and I did not need a wood bowl.

P.S. Took a look at the Paypal site, they have a whole range of different fixed and variable fees they tack on international transactions and charge both the customer and merchant. Their currency conversion "spread" fee alone is 4% of the transaction value. My $2.14 Chase Saphire fee represents roughly 3% of the purchase price. If you have a newer Chase Sapphire Preferred card there may be no transaction fee.

I know from a few recent transactions that my AmEx charges $6 foreign transaction fee. I also know that depending on who the merchant uses for processing that it will still run through PayPal, even without signing in, at a rather unfavourable rate! Sometimes you can't out manoeuvre PayPal, it is ubiquitous even in EU.

(Yes I know the UK is not in the EU, put the torches and pitchforks down.)

Well I checked online and it seems Discover cards don’t get charged the exchange fee. Got a total of £343.12 when I paid and when I checked on Discover online there’s a pending fee of $394.08. Would it show the exchange fee or would it show later like in 24 hours? Thanks for giving me a heads up on checking my credit cards to find one that didn’t charge exchange rate fees. You guys rock!!!

EDIT: I just re-read @Lane101 ‘s response in post #22. Seems it’s too early to celebrate as I wouldn’t see the exchange rate fee until after Connaught ships.

Last edited:
Posted this in another forum, but there was no additional charge. FWIW, my PayPal account is linked to my AmEx card.

Posted this in another forum, but there was no additional charge. FWIW, my PayPal account is linked to my AmEx card.
Weird thing is the Jade Omega Boar brush was one item I was getting and now it’s sold out. I’ll have to try again with that one.

Good to know about no exchange rate fee with your AMEX

Weird thing is the Jade Omega Boar brush was one item I was getting and now it’s sold out. I’ll have to try again with that one.

Good to know about no exchange rate fee with your AMEX
I felt that was a great value for the brush, really like it.
My cart for my November Visit is now filled with items no longer in stock :facep:

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the restock reminders, really only looking for a MWF puck or two while there as well as the attractive wooden bowl kit. If the Jades are restocked, I may as well have another shipped to the hotel while I'm there :LMS

I had an order ready to go and noticed about a $30 PayPal currency exchange rate fee. Anyone know if paying w/ credit cards, which ones will not charge a fee? AMEX, Discover, Capital One, Citibank, Chase etc.? Thanks.
I believe that the Discover More Card will not charge a fee and their currency exchange rate seems to match what I am finding on the web for GBP and USD.

I just purchased some from Connaught for a cheaper price than here in the U.S..
Besides possibly being fresher / newer stock of MWF from Connaught Shaving in the UK than from vendors that have older inventory in the US, the cost truly is more favorable in the UK due to the current exchange rate as mentioned in the OP of this thread.

My Connaught Shaving order just arrived today. Everything ordered was included with nothing damaged including the Mitchell's Wool Fat ceramic container with soap. All the soaps appear to be fresh recent production. The order included a D.R. Harris Windsor Shaving Soap, Mitchell's Wool Fat pucks, Arko sticks, Arko pucks and two Derby sticks. The Arko soaps have more recent production dates (2021) than those purchased over Amazon a few months ago.

Note that the two Arko pucks have 2018 production dates versus a 2016 date on my first puck purchased over a year ago. This indicates that there may be ongoing production of the pucks. Earlier posts indicated these were from a one-off production run for a special event/promotion a few years ago.

Will definitely consider purchasing from Connaught again once I 3017 some soaps.

Top Bottom