What's new

Looking to purchase first higher end razor help.

Hey everyone so im looking to make my first higher end razor purchase that i primarily use for awhile looking for opinions on afew.

Alittle about me just started wet shaving back in april, i started with a Leaf Twig which i used for afew months to get used to before switching to a merkur 34c. I have also tried afew very cheap ones from walmart which tore me up. I tend to like a more mild/medium razor.

Was looking at afew options a Karve christopher bradley with B plate and would probably at some point try C plate. 2nd option is a Karve Overlander when it comes out in stainless steel. 3rd option is a Tatara Masamune and probably at some point would get Nodachi top cap to try out. Or just wait down the road and get a Tatara Muramasa.

Curious peoples thoughts on these razors that have tried and how efficient they are would they be good for newer people.

Thanks in advance

Hey everyone so im looking to make my first higher end razor purchase that i primarily use for awhile looking for opinions on afew.

Alittle about me just started wet shaving back in april, i started with a Leaf Twig which i used for afew months to get used to before switching to a merkur 34c. I have also tried afew very cheap ones from walmart which tore me up. I tend to like a more mild/medium razor.

Was looking at afew options a Karve christopher bradley with B plate and would probably at some point try C plate. 2nd option is a Karve Overlander when it comes out in stainless steel. 3rd option is a Tatara Masamune and probably at some point would get Nodachi top cap to try out. Or just wait down the road and get a Tatara Muramasa.

Curious peoples thoughts on these razors that have tried and how efficient they are would they be good for newer people.

Thanks in advance
Hi @Ktrain608 and welcome to Badger & Blade!

I tend towards vintages (old razors) but I'm sure someone with knowledge of current razors should be along to assist with your question soon!

Can you give a bit more information, like what kind of blade(s) you use, soap, and how you think your technique (way of shaving) so far is? That can help often.

Hi @Ktrain608 and welcome to Badger & Blade!

I tend towards vintages (old razors) but I'm sure someone with knowledge of current razors should be along to assist with your question soon!

Can you give a bit more information, like what kind of blade(s) you use, soap, and how you think your technique (way of shaving) so far is? That can help often.
Favorite blades so far voskhod, wilkinson sword india, persona red, gillette nacet. Occasionally will use a feather if have had lazy shave week. I tend to shave every 2-3 days. As far as soaps my rotation at the moment is A&E peach and cognac in kaizen, BM 43 in omnibus, Paa the beach in ck6, and hoffmans the great reset. As far as technique id say im pretty proficient with merkur. Rarely ever nick myself or get weapers if i do they usually not to bad. And usually able to get bbs.

I don't have any experience with Karve or Tatara razors, so if you want to stick to those options, I wont be much use to you, hehe.

But I would suggest taking a look at either a RazoRock Game Changer 84, or a RazoRock Lupo (I prefer the 95 OC, but SB and 72 options are also great). Both excellent razors.

I don't have any experience with Karve or Tatara razors, so if you want to stick to those options, I wont be much use to you, hehe.

But I would suggest taking a look at either a RazoRock Game Changer 84, or a RazoRock Lupo (I prefer the 95 OC, but SB and 72 options are also great). Both excellent razors.
Will take a look at them dont know much about those ones. Am open to suggestions though

I'm in much the same stage you are, experience-wise, and have been using the Razorock Lupo DC for a few days and love it. I was worried about it's purported aggressiveness and pfft, it was no sweat. Super smooth and not bitey at all. Highly recommend the RR GameChanger or any of the Lupos.

Although I think the Karve CB is a reaaaaaly good looking razor! I've read the B or C plates are good to start with.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Karve CB razors are excellent and as you have already realized ... if you decide to up your game, another baseplate won't break the bank. I have a C plate OC in brass. However, that's the one razor that gets used the least. As has been suggested above, the RazoRock Lupo or Game Changer are good razors that have SB and OC plates. I have no experience with the Tatara razors, but continually read nothing but good things about them. Looking at pictures of the head, I like the profile!

Best of luck with your selection!

Since you’re looking at options with swappable base plates, you may as well throw the Rockwell 6 series in there too. I’ve had a 6s for years and love it.

Thanks in advance
Quick story:
When I started wet shaving (with a 34C & 23C), they quickly became obsolete for me. I realized that I preferred a more aggressive/efficient razor and I went nuts buying different razors. Eventually I got into higher end razors when I finally found exactly what I liked & needed in a razor and just recently I've been buying and using vintage ones. Head size/geometry, blade gap, blade exposure, handle size, weight, material and the blade you use are some of the variables to finding what you really like. So usually just going for "one" will not be what gets you there.
The reason I say this is because of I had to do it over, I'd buy an adjustable first. (A true adjustable, not something like a Karve or Rockwell where you have to switch plates). An adjustable makes it easy by just twisting the knob to your desired setting. With an adjustable you can try different settings day by day and at the same time try new blades (buy a blade sampler online). With an adjustable you can learn exactly what you like with one razor and then take it from there.
Good "new modern" adjustables are: The Merkur Progress, Parker Variant and the Pearl Flexi. The Pearl Flexi is made of brass!
And if you want to try vintage ones, you can look for a Gillette Slim, Fatboy or Super adjustable!
Lots of choices!
Just another possible option for you.
Good luck,
LRod

Spending in an high end razor worth only if it will fill specifics needs.

1. Efficiency

Do you want a closer shave? Have a particular coarse beard? Have a super sensitive skin?

If you have regular whiskers, probably a mid tier razor will be good enough. High end razors in other way can be offered in a wide range of gaps, so if you need a super mild or extra aggressive, that’s the way.

2. Finish

Do like a polish look, a industrial look, a exotic material, patina, a specific colorway?

There a lot of options in terms of material, finish, etc.

3. Shave angle

That’s is not mentioned often. Do you shave steep, neutra ou shallow?

Karve CB is a shallow angle razor, Overlander neutral to steep. Get a razor that works in the angle you like is important. I like shave steep, if I buy a shallow I‘ll be constantly “fight” with the razor.

4. Handle

Do you like short, medium or long handles? Do you want a specific aesthetic?

5. Weight

SS or brass razors are heavy if compared to Zamak razors.

6. Exposed blade tabs

Do you prefer covered blade tabs or not?

7. Adjustability

Personally, I think adjustability is overrated. Few people really change the setting during shave. It have more moving parts to fail and are more expensive.

Final thoughts

a) Maybe it’s wise to play with some mid tier razors before buy a over $200.00 razor. A Gamechanger 84 or a Lupo will step up your game. It’s more efficient than a 34HD and you can try a SS razor without spending too much. Karve is a good option too (the B plate maybe is too mild), if you don’t like, you can sell without a big loss. Although, I didn’t like adjustables, a vintage adjustable Gillette could be a good one to find what you like.

b) High end razor are fun if you get exactly what you want. They shave well and are well built. Try a mid tier first. Maybe you will stop there, or not. I would try some razors first before get a really expensive one 😁

I own only one high end modern razor and that's the Blackland Blackbird solid bar in polished stainless steel and I really like it. Other modern razors razors that I really like, but I wouldn't call them high end are the Lupo DC and the Game Changer .84p. The thing with razors is that you have to try a lot of them before you find out what you like and dislike.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Your blade selection came from buying a bunch of blades and finding your favorites. If you're able and willing to do the same with razors have at it. If not you may want to consider a company that offers returns. The last I knew ATT had a trial period, and they are a very helpful company for questions. I also think they make very nice razors for a very reasonable price.

But I'm no help with all the others: I've been shaving daily at home for the last 6+ years with the same Wolfman.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Based on some recommendations here from people who either have the razors I have or who value the same things I do, I just ordered a Blutt BR-1 with both the .86 and 1.2 base plates.

It is a risk, however. I hope I like it, but you can never really know until you try it for yourself.

I think Muhle Rocca V4 is a safer option for you. Very smooth, feels similar to R89 but a little bit more efficient. :shifty:

And it is cheaper than many other options!

Buy whatever tickles your fancy…they all do the same thing at the end of the day. I just spent a week using a freebie pot metal razor…it worked beautifully. Side note, I was thrilled to get back home to my daily driver DE; but only because I prefer shaving with a beautiful razor.

The RazoRock options will be a little bit less expensive than Karve, but the machining is second to none and the finish is (despite their disclaimer) quite nice.
I have to agree with this guy. In terms of high end, it may not be what you imagine, but the quality is certainly that of any other stainless steel razor; it's made to last a lifetime and their razors are on the more mild/medium side vs a Timeless .95 or a Blackbird. You really can't go wrong with a RR stainless GC .68.

You haven't told us, what you are seeking to change with your upcoming razor (other than having a more luxery shaver), have you?

If you just seek to find a similar razor (in terms of aggressiveness) the Karve CB with both plates mentioned is a great option imo. You'll be able to adjust your needs in the future by adding some more aggressive plates if you might "need" it or want to try it.

As an alternative, you might perhaps want to consider an adjustable razor for the very same reason.

Here's my suggestion:
20220907_152612-01.jpeg

The picture shows a "Pearl Flexi".
Similar pricepoint as the Karve CB, flawlessly build like a tank (brass). Provides pretty shaves on all settings, from mild to wild... 😉

The Flexi is well regarded by many reviewers. Pearl had some issues with the very early batches of this razor, nowadays the quality is perfectly fine.

In any case I wouldn't recommend you a "single gap" razor right now.

It appears to me you just have started out with your DE journey - perhaps you happen to find out that an even more aggressive razor IS in fact right down your alley, say, in a year or so... (your technique likely will improve further in course of time)

An adjustable razor will offer you some flexibilty on the long run (as the Karve CB system does as well. Besides, the Karve is a very good razor, too!).

That's my 2 cent 😀

Last edited:
Top Bottom