What's new

Help Needed - Semogue Boar or Badger

Hi All,

I am interested in purchasing a brush from Semogue. I have the following option

SOC Boar at 40 euros
SOC Finest Badger at around 70 euros
SOC Silvertip Badger at 100 euros

From the posts i have read, there is a lot of love semogue boar. Would like to know how good their badger range is? Are they comparable to Simpson / Shavemac?

Any help will be appreciated

The Semogue SOC Finest Badger is a great brush. Sometimes, they go on sale so you might not need to pay full price. Excellent size and handle shape, versatile for all types of soap, face lathering or bowl lathering. It can do everything well. You must like a brush that has a bit of scrub. It is not harsh, though.

For the Semogue Boar experience, I'd suggest getting the C5 Torga. This is a more compact brush than the SOC but has the same type of bristles and a solid resin handle. It is quite a bit less expensive than the SOC boar. It will retain its firmness after breaking-in, while the SOC boar can become a bit floppy.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The reviews of the SOC boars are mixed. I think for a premium boar brush, the Zenith offerings seem to be more highly praised. I love my SOC Mistura brushes but could live without the two SOC boars I purchased. Of course, this is just one man's opinion.

My personal favorite among my boar brushes is my Zenith B33 with the 506 copper handle, though I also have a Zenith unbleached boar with the black resin handle that is quite nice:

For some reason, here in Bali, I can't access the "yourshaving.com" site. As far as I know, they are the only ones that currently stock the Zenith unbleached boar brushes.

This is the model I ordered from them: ZENITH unbleached bristle black resin handle 506N XSE

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have four 2 band Finest Semogue brushes and they are superb. They have firm backbone and a little scrub which is, to me anyway, somewhere between Simpson Best and Manchurian. I suspect that Semogue Silvertip would be closer to Simpson Super which I do not care for but which many enjoy, with a softer face feel and less backbone. Good luck.

Mistura for the win!

A67F1119-3A98-4789-84E8-7450A3B83C25.jpeg

I have a SOC Taj 2band finest. This is my only badger, so I'm not going to compare it to anything. The handle is excellent, just fits in the hand perfectly. Many say it is scrubby, but once wet, it has a very good face feel, no scritch at all, I would even call it soft. It splays nicely too.

Where did you see those silvertips? Which exact model? I did a lot of research when I got my brush, and I think the silvertip might be a leftover from long ago. Today, afaik, all badgers are 2band finest. But I might be wrong...

I have a SOC Taj 2band finest. This is my only badger, so I'm not going to compare it to anything. The handle is excellent, just fits in the hand perfectly. Many say it is scrubby, but once wet, it has a very good face feel, no scritch at all, I would even call it soft. It splays nicely too.

Where did you see those silvertips? Which exact model? I did a lot of research when I got my brush, and I think the silvertip might be a leftover from long ago. Today, afaik, all badgers are 2band finest. But I might be wrong...
Hi, I saw the silvertip on the Portuguese factory site! Is there any other vendor who sells Semogue? Do they have their own site?

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
The reviews of the SOC boars are mixed. I think for a premium boar brush, the Zenith offerings seem to be more highly praised. I love my SOC Mistura brushes but could live without the two SOC boars I purchased. Of course, this is just one man's opinion.

My personal favorite among my boar brushes is my Zenith B33 with the 506 copper handle, though I also have a Zenith unbleached boar with the black resin handle that is quite nice:

For some reason, here in Bali, I can't access the "yourshaving.com" site. As far as I know, they are the only ones that currently stock the Zenith unbleached boar brushes.

This is the model I ordered from them: ZENITH unbleached bristle black resin handle 506N XSE
The Zenith boar is my favorite brush above all others, badger, boar, or synthetic.

Hi, I saw the silvertip on the Portuguese factory site! Is there any other vendor who sells Semogue? Do they have their own site?
there seem to be one semogue silvertip, the torga c5. that is available in both finest and silvertip according to the website. I didn't find any SOC silvertip though. interesting...

there seem to be one semogue silvertip, the torga c5. that is available in both finest and silvertip according to the website. I didn't find any SOC silvertip though. interesting...

There is a silvertip 2051 HD:

1662543995988.png

A silvertip C5 Torga:

1662544117720.png

Silvertip 2040 HD:

1662544486628.png

Silvertip 730 HD:

1662544208381.png

There are probably other ones in addition to these.

I prefer the Finest aka Two-band badger overall.

Last edited:
There is a silvertip 2051 HD:
Silvertip 730 HD:

There are probably other ones in addition to these.

I prefer the Finest aka Two-band badger overall.
when I bought my brush, I wanted a silvertip, all the above were on my list. However, Semogue has rebranded their brushes, the Excelsior line isn't available anymore. They are now called "Hereditas" and most brushes became "finest", although they have not changed the product name. I.e. the 2015HD:

Hair Grade: Semogue Finest Badger​

Handle Material: Cherry Wood​

Knot: 22mm​

Loft: 55mm​

I have 6 misturas from Semogue and like them all. My favorite brush is the Torga C5. I also have 2 boars: one Semogue Galahad C3, and one Omega Premium Jade. They are both relatively new, but so far I like them. I think the misturas are well worth it.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
For me the SOC boar is one of the best bowl lathering brushes available. Plenty of shavers face lather with them, but they do eventually break in to a pretty soft feel - too soft for many.

The SOC TSN LE is a good bowl or face lathering brush. It doesn't have a ton of backbone, but if you like soft tips it does a fine job. The handle is a little bit small for me, I much prefer the wood SOC handle.

If you face lather I would recommend either the Mistura or the 2 band badger. Both do a great job. The Mistura has a little more backbone with a little scritch, but the 2 band has plenty of backbone as well.

These SOC brushes are excellent value for the money.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a small collection of very nice brushes.... I brought my two SOC Misturas with me for our month stay in Bali.... I rest my case. <eg>

when I bought my brush, I wanted a silvertip, all the above were on my list. However, Semogue has rebranded their brushes, the Excelsior line isn't available anymore. They are now called "Hereditas" and most brushes became "finest", although they have not changed the product name. I.e. the 2015HD:

Hair Grade: Semogue Finest Badger​

Handle Material: Cherry Wood​

Knot: 22mm​

Loft: 55mm​

Some of those older brushes are still in stock. I see I could add them to my cart, so they might not being made anymore, but you might still be able to find one if you wanted.

Some of those older brushes are still in stock. I see I could add them to my cart, so they might not being made anymore, but you might still be able to find one if you wanted.
not sure which site you are checking, but I'd make sure before sending the order that it is indeed the old one and not just an old image that they were lazy to update.

Top Bottom