What's new

Penhaligons or Truefitt and Hill?

Guys,

I'd like to try Penhaligons or Truefitt and Hill Shaving Cream but for some reason I don't like SC that smells like cologne :confused: I like what I consider natural type smells (Omega, Proraso, Musgo, LaToja, TOBS Avocado....etc.) Can you recommend a Penhaligons or Truefitt and Hill SC that has a natural type smell that doesn't smell like cologne? It's hard to describe what I'm saying here but if you catch my drift let me know if you have any recommendations. thanks :biggrin:

well if you don't like sc's that smell like cologne then get T&H 1805...it doesn't smell like cologne it will actually leave you paralyzed for 3 minutes if you get too much of a whiff of it it's so infinitely amazing...

but seriously, I've never tried the other stuff...but the T&H ultimate comfort unscented is a good light lavender scent that's not too too lavender to deter the casual lavender user...

*i didn't know that I would ever use the word 'lavender' so many times in one sentence...*

I think the biggest reason to pay the big bucks for Pens is their great scents, so if you don't want a scented soap I'm not sure Pens is worth it (no flaming please). I personally love many of their scents.

PS: Have you tried MWF yet? It's lightly scented and excellent.

well if you don't like sc's that smell like cologne then get T&H 1805...it doesn't smell like cologne it will actually leave you paralyzed for 3 minutes if you get too much of a whiff of it it's so infinitely amazing...

but seriously, I've never tried the other stuff...but the T&H ultimate comfort unscented is a good light lavender scent that's not too too lavender to deter the casual lavender user...

*i didn't know that I would ever use the word 'lavender' so many times in one sentence...*

1805 is astounding. I recently snagged a 95% full bottle of the AS balm for $25!:eek::eek::eek:

I think Pre de Provence would fit what you're looking for. It's has a very clean, soap smell with a fairly faint underlying sage not. Very nice, and gets good reviews.

Unlike Pen's, T&H does offer 4 single note creams: rose, almond, sandalwood and lavender.

If you can still find it, Pen's Castile shaving cream doesn't smell particularly like Cologne (Castile Cologne excepted). It smells fresh, crisp and soapy. Probably my favourite Pen's shaving cream after Endymion.

Regardless, having tried decent sized samples of all the Pen's creams (and gotten what i believe is the correct water ratio), i think T&H's creams are superior in performance, slickness and cushion.

Try the WIL, Sandalwood, Rose or Almond.

If you can still find it, Pen's Castile shaving cream doesn't smell particularly like Cologne (Castile Cologne excepted). It smells fresh, crisp and soapy. Probably my favourite Pen's shaving cream after Endymion.

Regardless, having tried decent sized samples of all the Pen's creams (and gotten what i believe is the correct water ratio), i think T&H's creams are superior in performance, slickness and cushion.

Try the WIL, Sandalwood, Rose or Almond.
Hate to be contradictory, but to me Castile (EdT) is sweet and perfumey; it's my least favorite Pens scent. Of course, YMMV, plenty of people love it, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who doesn't want a cologne smell in their SC unless they know that they like it.

I would suggest considering the T&H SC sampler set or SC and cologne sampler kit if you want to try their colognes too. http://www.truefittandhill.com/items_fragrance_samples.html

Hate to be contradictory, but to me Castile (EdT) is sweet and perfumey; it's my least favorite Pens scent. Of course, YMMV, plenty of people love it, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who doesn't want a cologne smell in their SC unless they know that they like it.

I would suggest considering the T&H SC sampler set or SC and cologne sampler kit if you want to try their colognes too. http://www.truefittandhill.com/items_fragrance_samples.html

I love the Castile shaving cream but hate the cologne. The cream smells like the top notes of the cologne, neroli. It's very fresh. The drydown of the cologne, rose, gives me a headache and smells like a old lady.

I love the Castile shaving cream but hate the cologne. The cream smells like the top notes of the cologne, neroli. It's very fresh. The drydown of the cologne, rose, gives me a headache and smells like a old lady.
I agree, it smells old ladyish. I wonder if I'd like the SC too. May have to find myself a sample eventually.

I concur that there is a distinct difference between the two. Folks shouldn't necessarily pass on the shaving cream if the EdT smells too flowery on them, because the shave cream really is different. However, the rose note on the EdT is very understated on me, to the point of being nearly undetectable. Castile is my favorite Pen's scent accordingly. :)

Thanks for the recommendations guys! T&H 1805 is en route. If it doesn't work out for me it'll probably end up on the B/S/T. I'll report back soon :thumbsup:

I'll agree with Penhaligon's Castile. It doesn't smell very perfume-y or cologne-y to me at all. It smells mostly of bergamot and neroli. Awesome stuff.

Great call!! I shaved with my new tub of 1805 for the first time this morning... Without question, the single best shave I've ever had!! It does smell like the cologne, but to me that's a positive thing. Let us know whatcha think when you get it!!

Top Bottom