What's new

What's a (how to get a) good base?

I'm heavily influenced by this Michael Freedbreg Youtube video about a good lather. He lathered up for quite a while and got a nice thick base but that he said was "sticky" and not the best. So he sprinkled a few drops of water onto the brush and got back to face lathering. He did the sprinkling/face lathering quite a few times. Finally, he'd arrived at what he called "slick." Ready to shave.

Attempting to emulate him, I seem to go from the initial good thick "sticky" base to beyond "slick," nearly runny.

I'm not dousing the brush with water. The thick base I've built up just doesn't seem to hold.

Any suggestions for keeping the base?

Nearly runny is good.

Just make sure it always stays 'nearly.'

My lathers have become progressively thinner. I now believe a thick lather is the enemy of a great shave. I had been obsessing about razors and blades, but now I am really homing in on my lather.

A 'wet' and quite thin lather, if it is slick, will provide an excellent shave.

Arko! is very good at producing a thinnish yet slick result.

Last edited:
Base to the guy you are talking about could mean having enough soap to proceed to face lathering. The "base" isn't expected to remain there...it gets incorporated into the slick lather. As you work in water and move around your face you should be picking up soap and the lathering continues. Add water slowly.

Load more soap and add water slowly, some drops at a time or gently dip the tips of the brush in water. Beware thatnot every soap is the same, some benefit with more water some others with less. The structure of the lather might be fine on your face visually but you could still be losing out on slickness and/or protection If you've added too much or too little water. Experiment with your soaps to find what's their optimal hydration level.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Nearly runny is good.

Just make sure it always stays 'nearly.'

My lathers have become progressively thinner. I now believe a thick lather is the enemy of a great shave. I had been obsessing about razors and blades, but now I am really homing in on my lather.

A 'wet' and quite thin lather, if it is slick, will provide an excellent shave.

Arko! is very good at producing a thinnish yet slick result.

This is a great and very insightful post. I think many, way overload their brushes with soap and then wonder why it dries out in the middle of their pass with the razor.

People own so many different soaps, they almost have to overload product just to make a dent in their soap collections. I bet I don’t swirl my brush but 3 to 4 times on top of any puck of soap I have; and I get 2 passes and touch ups with lather left in the brush to spare.

It took me 8 years just to get thru a puck of triple milled soap because it was in a rotation with 3 other soap pucks. Only 4 soaps and 8 years just to finish one?

How many are out there that own way more then 4 soaps? :)

Last edited:
I've used way more product then needed and found no benefit to it. I see many wet shavers coating their faces with thick mayo-like lathers and its simply throwing money down the drain. Though it is nice to lather your face with lots of product, I prefer lighter lathers that are super hydrated.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I agree with "thinner is better" but I always start out very dry and thick (in the brush) and then thin it out. Seems like a good amount of product (not so much that you waste it, though) is the best way to start.

I can see where this can help in bowl lathering when you want a full bowl of lather for 4 or 5 passes. I have loaded a brush so heavy when face lathering the lather falls off my face and into the sink. :)

I’m pretty sure I would load my water soaked badger and boar brushes much heavier than my synthetic brushes.

+1! I developed my preference for slick lather (with a ‘sheen’ from the water) during my straight razor days. For me, this works much better than the thick ‘yogurt’ often shown in photos/videos. :thumbup1::thumbup1:
Your correct, when you see advertising the shaver looks like father Xmas 😂

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't really see any purpose in trying to develop a thick "base" only to have to wet it to make a decent slick lather.
I like and shave with a very runny wet lather, so I don't overload my brush at all, and I don't have to "come back" from too thick.
Though different soaps are absolutely different in terms of how much you need to load to get that good slick lather, through experience you will develop a pretty keen eye after a while and can get to where you need to be pretty quickly without going past the perfect spot. Meaning, you don't load too much soap and need to wet it a lot after the fact.
That "Whipped Cream" lather may look great on a slice of pumpkin pie, but it's garbage to shave with.

I don't really see any purpose in trying to develop a thick "base" only to have to wet it to make a decent slick lather.
I like and shave with a very runny wet lather, so I don't overload my brush at all, and I don't have to "come back" from too thick.
Though different soaps are absolutely different in terms of how much you need to load to get that good slick lather, through experience you will develop a pretty keen eye after a while and can get to where you need to be pretty quickly without going past the perfect spot. Meaning, you don't load too much soap and need to wet it a lot after the fact.
That "Whipped Cream" lather may look great on a slice of pumpkin pie, but it's garbage to shave with.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm often tempted to shave with that initial slick lather (before I turn it into a base). It would definitely save time. I'm so ingrained with the idea of having a good base it'll take a mindset adjustment, but I'll give it--cautiously--a try.

Top Bottom