What's new

For my first synthetic brush purchase??

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I currently have a cheap, worn out badger brush and want to upgrade to something better in a synthetic. I mostly use shaving soap and occasionally cream, like Body Shop Maca Root. I lather in the soap container or a bowl, then apply to face. (not sure about the 'face lathering' business?)

I've only been wetshaving about a year with DE safety razor and started with my dad's old Gillette Blue Tip TTO. Since then I've graduated to EJ and Maggard DE razors. I don't have a heavy beard and only shave three times a week, so shaving isn't as challenging for me as it may be for some guys.

I have a $50 allowance and want to buy a decent quality, but not too expensive of a brush. Any suggestions for brands and models I should consider, given that price range? Muhle STF, Simpson, Omega, others?

I'm not opposed to collecting a few different brushes, but I don't necessarily want to end up with dozens of them. :redface-new: (famous last words)

Since I'm retired, I seem to have too much time on my hands nowadays, so this shaving obsession is taking hold. lol

Thanks in advance,
-Phil
Kansas native, Vietnam era vet

Last edited:

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
Not sure, to be honest. I'm thinking 20 to 22mm should be fine. Maybe 24mm??

Don't care to have something so huge it won't fit on my razor/brush stand. The Fendrihan FEN-R1506 seemed to big to me.

I like a decent lather but don't need mountains of it.

-Phil

Last edited:

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Razorock BC Silvertip for the win. And you can spend remaining $30 on other goodies.

Not sure, to be honest. I'm thinking 20 to 22mm should be fine. Maybe 24mm??

I like a decent lather but don't need mountains of it.

-Phil
Given that range I would say you have a number of choices. I am a bowl latherer as well and out looking at another synthetic acquisition. There are many who have more brushes and experience, but I would suggest considering a bulb or hybrid knot in the 24mm range with reasonable backbone to efficiently produce lather. Handle material and customization are probably more of a cost driver for synthetics than the knot itself.

Thank you for your service to our country.

There are tons of good brushes at or below your budget. I tend to agree that the Razorock 24mm plissoft brushes are a fantastic value at under $20. I have two, an aluminum handle 400 model, which splays well and is great for face and head lathering (if you're a head shaver), and the shorter handle model with a resin handle. Either are good for bowl lathering. They also have a faux ivory keyhole handle with a 22mm knot, if you prefer something a bit smaller.

Many of the RR synthetic brushes sell for $9.99-$12.99, with the most expensive being $21.99, so they are a great value with little risk in trying one.

For the same money, you could get a boar brush from Omega but synthetics seem to be all the rage with a lot of people here - no break-in and low maintenance. I have a Trafalgar T2 synth which is well withing your price range and many people like them. I find it meh. OK for $22, lathers well, but designed for painting lather.

You'll get opinions telling you what the writer would buy. You may not end up agreeing and whatever brush you buy is yours unless you shop Amazon (and even then you might not be able to return it if it's not defective).

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I currently have a cheap, worn out badger brush and want to upgrade to something better in a synthetic. I mostly use shaving soap and occasionally cream, like Body Shop Maca Root. I lather in the soap container or a bowl, then apply to face. (not sure about the 'face lathering' business?)

I've only been wetshaving about a year with DE safety razor and started with my dad's old Gillette Blue Tip TTO. Since then I've graduated to EJ and Maggard DE razors. I don't have a heavy beard and only shave three times a week, so shaving isn't as challenging for me as it may be for some guys.

I have a $50 allowance and want to buy a decent quality, but not too expensive of a brush. Any suggestions for brands and models I should consider, given that price range? Muhle STF, Simpson, Omega, others?

I'm not opposed to collecting a few different brushes, but I don't necessarily want to end up with dozens of them. :redface-new: (famous last words)

Since I'm retired, I seem to have too much time on my hands nowadays, so this shaving obsession is taking hold. lol

Thanks in advance,
-Phil
Sent you a PM, sir. Thanks for your service, btw.

Thanks in advance,
-Phil
Hi Phil, First thank you for your service.

Optimal brush choice may be driven by the types of soaps you prefer to use. For most of my soaps and two croaps I use a couple Razorock plissoft synthetic brushes with excellent results. For my really hard tallow based soaps (Williams and Mitchell's) i've found that a stiffer boar brush works best. I initially build my lather on the puck and finish building via face lathering so our techniques may be similar. The Razorock brushes are high quality and hold up well. Specifics include:

• Razorock Monster Brush - 26mm synthetic knot with a 63mm loft. Have used as my primary brush for almost 3 years and still going strong. $13.99 often on sale for $8.99.
  • Razorock Big Bruce - Just purchased and used for the first time. Exact same knot as the Monster with a simpler handle. Same pricing as the Monster. This also comes in a smaller 24mm Bruce version.
  • Razorock Blondie Boar - Rebranded Zenith 80N. 26mm knot with a 63mm loft. Has worked well over the past year with one or two uses per week for my hard tallow pucks.
Razorock also has synthetics with smaller 22 mm knots if that is your preference.

Note that the synthetics work well with my slightly less hard soaps such as Arko and Razorock What the Puck as well as croaps like Proraso. No need for a boar if you only use soaps like these. Budget wise you could easily purchase any or all of these and stay within your $50 target including the shipping charge to the U.S. The above three brushes provide the optimal tools for most soaps or creams while generally allowing each brush a day off to fully dry out.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
What about the Razorock Plissoft BARBER handle? Is that one good?
I do not have any of the regular plissoft brushes, mine is a Plissoft BC Silvertip. Many others really like the plissoft knot. I like the BC Silvertip because it has a very decent backbone for a synthetic brush. I sure do like a barbershop handle though.

My feeling is don't overthink it. Razorock puts out really good synthetic knots at great prices. And if you're not absolutely happy with one I'm the Buy Sell Trade is a great option to recoup some of your $ in order to move forward with something different.

I’ll throw in a vote for the RazoRock Plissofts. I’ve got the 24mm Bruce and it’s excellent for a little more than $10.

For around the $20-25 mark there are some good choices from AP Shave Co (SynBad, G5A or G5C, Cashmere) or Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements that get very good reviews.

The Mühle STFs are amazing brushes and probably my favorite synth but would be out of your budget new.

One shave with a RR Bruce after 15 years using a best badger and I’m sold on synthetics. Come on in, the water is fine.

Attachments

• AE37A8BD-0E74-443C-B614-E655157A9ED6.jpeg
    AE37A8BD-0E74-443C-B614-E655157A9ED6.jpeg
    684.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 79C6449B-8C11-4ECB-B35C-13ED16B86B4C.jpeg
    79C6449B-8C11-4ECB-B35C-13ED16B86B4C.jpeg
    578.1 KB · Views: 15
50 bucks should easily yield a nice Synth and an Omega boar. Just for reference I quickly looked at Maggards if you could go for 3 brushes - other vendors will be similar:

22mm 2 Band Badger 24.95
24mm Synth 11.95
23mm Omega Boar 7.75

I just recently stumbled onto a SimFix SF1 24mm brush at Maggards for $20 that’s really nice. Nice backbone and not too huge.

If you like a large brush check out the PAA Amber Aerolite. Great brush.

I have a couple of Yaqi brushes that I really like. However, you can look at the scratch and dent handles on AP Shave Co. and then choose the G5A knot and you will be well within your budget and have a really fine brush. Just select the option that tells Andrew to set the knot in the handle for you or email him and ask him.

If you can get a 23mm Muehle silvertip fiber knot within your price range, that is the first choice I'd make. Really good and feels like top quality badger without the scritch.

I hear great things about Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements brushes, also, though I have no personal experience with them.

Razorock Big Bruce - Just purchased and used for the first time. Exact same knot as the Monster with a simpler handle. Same pricing as the Monster. This also comes in a smaller 24mm Bruce version.

I’ll throw in a vote for the RazoRock Plissofts. I’ve got the 24mm Bruce and it’s excellent for a little more than $10.

One shave with a RR Bruce after 15 years using a best badger and I’m sold on synthetics. Come on in, the water is fine.
I have the RR "Big Bruce" and love it!

Top Bottom