What's new

Got Bic Chrome blades today - wow!

Today I loaded the R41 from yesterdays DE89 loaded BIC. Four passes W, X, A, A and no issues at all, this blade is plenty sharp and with the blade forward R41 quite smooth.. Awesome blade in the R41 👍

20220902_090852b.jpg

If you haven't thrown out the blade yet, switch it back to the DE89 and see how it performs.

Perhaps the tech is just too mild, which forced you to work to much and get that burn.
The blade seems OK from the sounds of it.
I think the Fat Handle Tech and EJ DE89 are probably pretty close in mildness. Very different weight, however. Regardless, blades are too cheap and I'm not overly interested in comparing and contrasting them in different razors. I've said in different topics that I tend to use a blade 3-5 times regardless of how it's performing on the shave I decide to toss it. I can send you the jar of used blades if you'd like to take it further. :D

I think the Fat Handle Tech and EJ DE89 are probably pretty close in mildness. Very different weight, however. Regardless, blades are too cheap and I'm not overly interested in comparing and contrasting them in different razors. I've said in different topics that I tend to use a blade 3-5 times regardless of how it's performing on the shave I decide to toss it. I can send you the jar of used blades if you'd like to take it further. :D

I'm fairly well stocked up but thanks for the offer.

I don't take price into account when assessing blades...

At one stage, feather was all I used and got only 2 shaves. Then I found polsilver which were much smoother for my skin.

They are all budget blades compared to $5 a pop for carts.

For me, it's more about wastage...
I want to use a blade to maximum potential.
I also conserve water as much as possible (my entire shave process takes under 1L including clean up).

I'm fairly well stocked up but thanks for the offer.

I don't take price into account when assessing blades...

At one stage, feather was all I used and got only 2 shaves. Then I found polsilver which were much smoother for my skin.

They are all budget blades compared to $5 a pop for carts.

For me, it's more about wastage...
I want to use a blade to maximum potential.
I also conserve water as much as possible (my entire shave process takes under 1L including clean up).
I'm an American, we don't care about waste... ;)

Hehe

There's a minimalist movement happening in the US. I hope it's not just a fad as it's gaining traction.
It's not gaining traction. There are very few people who truly want to be minimalist. Sounds good on social media but it's not really a thing in spite of what you hear or read online. I don't think it's a bad thing but it's nothing more than a lost whisker in a gallon of bay rum. Sort of like vanlife is petering out. Fun to do for the 'gram. For awhile...

BTW, have you looked at the photos of shave dens on sites like this? Exactly.

Used the BIC astor in the blackbird and as expected, it wasn't rough at all.

I truly believe the sharper blades make a superb combo with the blackbird!

The astor doesn't have that butter smooth feel of the BIC CP, but that's expected from the stainless version.

The shave was wonderfully close and comfortable. But I don't think I would choose the astor over the CP...although I may still add a couple of hundred to my stash.

@StratMan

Attachments

• IMG_20220902_081040~(1).jpg
    IMG_20220902_081040~(1).jpg
    1,011.4 KB · Views: 14
It's not gaining traction. There are very few people who truly want to be minimalist. Sounds good on social media but it's not really a thing in spite of what you hear or read online. I don't think it's a bad thing but it's nothing more than a lost whisker in a gallon of bay rum. Sort of like vanlife is petering out. Fun to do for the 'gram. For awhile...

BTW, have you looked at the photos of shave dens on sites like this? Exactly.

Good point...all the SOTD pics do not paint a picture of minimalism! 😄

Used the BIC astor in the blackbird and as expected, it wasn't rough at all.

I truly believe the sharper blades make a superb combo with the blackbird!

The astor doesn't have that butter smooth feel of the BIC CP, but that's expected from the stainless version.

The shave was wonderfully close and comfortable. But I don't think I would choose the astor over the CP...although I may still add a couple of hundred to my stash.

@StratMan

after the successful shave with the r41/BIC combo, and todays purchase of a SS BlackBird I decided to add another 300 blades to the 200 ordered the other day giving me a grand total of 900.

If these are as good as you say in the bird i'll be stocking up on some more shortly 😎

I have full intention to teach my kids to shave using DE razors, brush and soap.

So I'm sure my blade stash will get used up. I store them in a sealed box with moisturiser absorber so they remain fresh.

Good luck with that, my boy wants nothing to do with shaving.. pair a clippers is all he needs but hey if he ever changes his mind he's git the keys to the thrown

I have full intention to teach my kids to shave using DE razors, brush and soap.

So I'm sure my blade stash will get used up. I store them in a sealed box with moisturiser absorber so they remain fresh.
I had that thought too. Have photos of my boys when they were little all lathered up and shaving with a bladeless razor. Today? They both shave with electrics and are askeered of wet shaving. Sigh.

• Sad
Reactions: nav

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Yeah you can slip the used blades into the back of the pack. It’s very secure as the blades have to flex slightly to go in. Once they’re in, they’re not coming back out.

I was horrified to find my four year old using a sealed blade bank like a rattle. She proved that with a bit of work you can indeed shake the odd blade back out of the slot of a traditional blade bank. Luckily no injuries. It would normally be stored out of reach but I took it to the garage to stick some Stanley knife snap offs into. She insists on helping me out there. I was so focused on what I was doing that I didn’t register what she was playing with.

Probably not worth the premium but it’s a nice touch. Their artist club packs have a similar compartment.
I quite like the Feather AC blades. Well, the ProGuards. I have two others to try this SEptember.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’ve only tried King C Gillette and Wizamet DE blades with a modicum of success. As I’ve mentioned, I had one outing with a Kai DE blade: I wasn’t prepared. I should do better next time. I bought 50 of them to get the price per blade down so I feel obligated to learn how to use them successfully.

I reserve the right to change my mind, however.

Reactions: nav
I had that thought too. Have photos of my boys when they were little all lathered up and shaving with a bladeless razor. Today? They both shave with electrics and are askeered of wet shaving. Sigh.

I have a 4 year old daughter, hopefully when she's old enough, she'll take up DE shaving.
She loves watching me shave and smelling all my soaps.
Fingers crossed!

Top Bottom