What's new

Performance challenge: TOBS Avocado

So, I have been at this a little while, and have tried a few different creams. So far, I think that TOBS avocado is the nicest, and best performing lather. I would not mind spending more for a cream that actually performs better, but so far I can't imagine a nicer cream.

I ask people who have actually used the TOBS avocado and think there is a better performing cream, please let me know, and tell me why. I am NOT talking about smell. I agree that smell plays a part in the experience, but here I am only talking about lather and moisturizing, and feel.

I would say that trumpers coconut oil cream is up there with it in terms of performance. I enjoy both products very much.

I also think Trumpers Coconut as well as Trumpers Rose is better than the Avocado offering from ToBS. Why? Because they both make better performing lather....and they smell better too.

I also think Trumpers Coconut as well as Trumpers Rose is better than the Avocado offering from ToBS. Why? Because they both make better performing lather....and they smell better too.

My experience is exactly the opposite...I prefer the TOBS to the Trumpers. Both creams are excellent and the scent of the Trumpers is fantastic. However, based on performance only, the nod goes to TOBS. YMMV

The Taylor's avocado was one of my first acquisitions, and i ran into a similar question. it wasn't until i tried a few soaps that i realized how much more dynamic they can be.

within the cream world, i would put Santa Maria Novella several notches above Taylor's Avocado.

Speick is pretty fun, and Musgo takes a little getting used to IMHO, but would still put up a good fight against Taylors.

and lastly La Toja is just phenomenal! definitely a winner and although much different, up there with SMN for performance.

Last edited:
I have samples of both the Avocado and the new Jermyn St. Sensitive. I find the Jermyn St. to be a shade better in the protection department.

it took some getting used to for me
works great, gives me a good shave but i am not crazy about the smell
i liked TOBS almond better
as far as TOBS vs. the world it is fifth or so on my list of favorites

I would say that trumpers coconut oil cream is up there with it in terms of performance. I enjoy both products very much.

Maybe I'm still too much of a newbie, but I don't notice much difference in 'performance' of a cream. BUT!!! I just got a tub of the Coconut oil cream, and I love it.

Took the words right out of my mouth a big +1 on Trumpers rose and coconut

Nancy Boy Replenishing performs well, but is a bit more finicky on the amount of water. Taylor's Rose kicks serious ***, and Musgo Real rules as well. It's a tough call...I love them all. They all give me exceptional shaves with great feeling skin afterwards, and they all smell awesome (Avo too...not my fave of the bunch, but I DO like the smell).

Nancy Boy is the only cream that I've yet tried that really rivals Avocado. I mostly alternate between those two.

I don't know why people hate on the smell of the TOBS Avocado so much. At first whiff, it is a bit green and strange but takes no more than a use or two to really enjoy for its all around freshness.

I will have to put Trumper's coconut on my wish list.

Taylors Avocado and Trumpers Coconut are my two absolute favourites. I think J.M Frasers regular and Trumpers Violet follow up in the 3rd and 4th positions for me. I also like Art of Shaving Lemon, oh and.......

Hmm, I think I need to try some Nancy Boy. Although, their website claims Taylors costs $30 a tub ("Nearly twice as much as ours!") which is an outright falsehood, especially considering a Taylors tub costs less than their $18 tub. Oh well, won't stop me from getting one.

Yeah, but if you register on their website you get a discount which knocks off a couple bucks and brings it in line with taylors.

I also love Musgo; it is my number two right now. I prefer the avocado's lather and moisturizing properties, but Musgo smells fantastic and is also an excellent cream.

So, I have been at this a little while, and have tried a few different creams. So far, I think that TOBS avocado is the nicest, and best performing lather. I would not mind spending more for a cream that actually performs better, but so far I can't imagine a nicer cream.

I ask people who have actually used the TOBS avocado and think there is a better performing cream, please let me know, and tell me why. I am NOT talking about smell. I agree that smell plays a part in the experience, but here I am only talking about lather and moisturizing, and feel.

To be honest, in my opinion it is all about the smell. If I would cancel out that factor, I'd probably be using the regular Nivea shaving cream in the blue tube a whole lot more. My point is that it is not so hard to create a good quality cream. What sets the high end creams apart from the drugstore stuff, is the scent (and maybe the packaging). I love the TOBS Avocado cream a lot but if I cancel out the scent, performance-wise, a lot of cheap drugstore creams perform equally well. Examples are Nivea, De Vergulde Hand, Proraso and Palmolive. So to answer your question; there are a lot of cheap options that perform equally well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom