What's new

Alum

It's NOT aluminum! Not even a little close so if you don't know, learn what Potassium alum is. I use it daily and this article from a touchy feely 'green' site seems to explain it well:

Alum Bloc
Ok here is the bad and the ugly. I wish there was good. I used to use antiperspirant with an aluminum compound. I than got these weird tender swelling on my armpits. I decided to stop using my antiperspirant and switch to a non aluminum based deodorant. I knew the aluminum compounds had a way of stopping your sweat glands from sweating. I thought I would try this before going to the doctor. The deodorant without aluminum worked the swellings went away. Back when this happens some 20 years ago aluminum free deodorant wasn't easy to find. Every deodorant at the grocery store or wherever had aluminum. I had to go to Wholefoods to find Tom's of Maine deodorant. That one was aluminum free. Now I can find aluminum free deodorant at any store.
I avoid aluminum compounds for any skin care except if I nick myself

Ok here is the bad and the ugly. I wish there was good. I used to use antiperspirant with an aluminum compound. I than got these weird tender swelling on my armpits. I decided to stop using my antiperspirant and switch to a non aluminum based deodorant. I knew the aluminum compounds had a way of stopping your sweat glands from sweating. I thought I would try this before going to the doctor. The deodorant without aluminum worked the swellings went away. Back when this happens some 20 years ago aluminum free deodorant wasn't easy to find. Every deodorant at the grocery store or wherever had aluminum. I had to go to Wholefoods to find Tom's of Maine deodorant. That one was aluminum free. Now I can find aluminum free deodorant at any store.
I avoid aluminum compounds for any skin care except if I nick myself
Completely different ingredient in an antiperspirant (aluminum chloroyhydrate) than alum and works differently as well. Glad you found something that worked for you. I don't use antiperspirants and the Old Spice deodorant I use has no aluminum chlorohydrates either. But Tom's of Maine antiperspirants do. Regardless, potassium alum is a natural occurring salt compound and is not at all the same thing (even though most is made in labs now due to finding enough in locations where it occurs naturally).

Completely different ingredient in an antiperspirant (aluminum chloroyhydrate) than alum and works differently as well. Glad you found something that worked for you. I don't use antiperspirants and the Old Spice deodorant I use has no aluminum chlorohydrates either. But Tom's of Maine antiperspirants do. Regardless, potassium alum is a natural occurring salt compound and is not at all the same thing (even though most is made in labs now due to finding enough in locations where it occurs naturally).

I didn't buy that one it was the straight deodorant.

I didn't buy that one it was the straight deodorant.
Understood. My point was that even Tom's continues to use aluminum chlorohydrate in its antiperspirants. It's not an evil compound although some people, like you, are sensitive to it but it's also not potassium alum. Most people seem to have sensitivities to something. You constantly read about soaps, creams, blades, aftershaves, splashes, etc., etc. giving someone a problem but not others.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I'll use an alum block on my face right after shaving if it's been a "rough ride". Maybe once a month. Cold water run over the stone and then glide round my mug. Then I'll splash to rinse it off, pat dry and continue with my aftershave regimen. My understanding is that the potassium alum in a block sits on your face rather than being absorbed.

I cannot use antiperspirants with aluminum in any way, shape or form as they do cause me irritation. But those are different as they contain Aluminum Chloride, Chlorohydrate or Zirconium vs. the block which is essentially a block of salt.

I've yet to try Spam on my face. But if @Arbor Man vouched for it then it's solid.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I'll use an alum block on my face right after shaving if it's been a "rough ride". Maybe once a month. Cold water run over the stone and then glide round my mug. Then I'll splash to rinse it off, pat dry and continue with my aftershave regimen. My understanding is that the potassium alum in a block sits on your face rather than being absorbed.

I cannot use antiperspirants with aluminum in any way, shape or form as they do cause me irritation. But those are different as they contain Aluminum Chloride, Chlorohydrate or Zirconium vs. the block which is essentially a block of salt.

I've yet to try Spam on my face. But if @Arbor Man vouched for it then it's solid.
Just don't use the 25% less sodium Spam, Chef. ;)

I was re-reading the posts here. I didn't read one post that said any of the aluminum compounds mentioned were bad. Just one person (me) said it was an irritant. That can happen to anyone. Most products say stop using if irritation occurs.

I used to use it but have found that it doesn’t do anything for me. It’s not bad but doesn’t seem to have any benefit either. I’ve put it in the same basket as pre-shave. A non-essential extra step.

I used to use it but have found that it doesn’t do anything for me. It’s not bad but doesn’t seem to have any benefit either. I’ve put it in the same basket as pre-shave. A non-essential extra step.
I think there are two benefits, at least for me. 1) It lets me know how well I did as it's almost literally rubbing salt into a potential wound/s. So if there's no sting, you done good. And 2) It makes my skin feel tighter which, with my advancing age, makes me feel younger, even if only a couple minutes. It's also antiseptic. I suppose one could get the same benefit from alcohol. In any event, if I didn't do a moisturizing aftershave routine, I don't think I'd end a shave with just alum.

Top Bottom