What's new

Alum

How does everyone use Alum for/after shaving? Is there a more proper way to apply it to the face? I have switched from wetting the block and wetting my face before applying. I never felt a difference, just the same small sting on occasion.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Potassium aluminum sulfate is aluminum, @CCS. It may be less toxic than other aluminum-based compounds or have a more difficult time entering the bloodstream, but it’s as aluminum as the day is long.

Last edited:
Potassium aluminum sulfate is aluminum, @CCS. It may be less toxic than other aluminum-based compounds or have a more difficult time entering the bloodstream, but it’s as aluminum as the day is long.
Please provide evidence. It's not the stuff used in antiperspirants. And alum is used for a variety of cooking, water treatment, and health issues. It's far more complicated than what the press has scared people with. My advice is if you think you're going to get cancer and die from using potassium alum (a salt for all intents and purposes), don't use it.

Last edited:
I used it after every shave. I rinse my face with water and then I pass the crystal over the wet face without rinsing it in water. I use it also to monitor the quality of the shave. After a year in wet shaving I have more and more shaves in which I feel very little feedback from alum.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
How does everyone use Alum for/after shaving? Is there a more proper way to apply it to the face? I have switched from wetting the block and wetting my face before applying. I never felt a difference, just the same small sting on occasion.

I follow the recommendations of the manufactures on alum blocks. They all usually state to, wet the block, then apply it to your face. This is because the alum block is a natural product from the Earth, and as such, it needs to be wet, in order to activate it. Think of it like activated charcoal in that way, charcoal would do no filtering in your Britta container, if it was not activated by water first.

I also follow recommendations and apply alum to my face after the shave, this is because alum does a great job of tightening up your skin, sealing tiny nicks and weepers, and as a natural astringent, tons the skin a bit. After I am done with my alum block, I bring it to a hand towel and dry it off before putting it back in its container.

I then use aftershave splash which usually contains whitch hazel, which tons the skin even further. However, if I am using an aftershave balm instead, then I will use my Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel prior to aftershave balm application. Lots of good products out there to help tone the skin. BTW, I love my Stirling 125G Alum Block. I got one shot of it with the container open.

proxy.php

How does everyone use Alum for/after shaving?...
Like that:
i use it right after i rinse my face with cold water. Face is already wet, pass the block under the cold water and then apply it all over my face...
Alum solubility increases dramatically with temperature so, to avoid applying too much of it on skin, use cold water.
Very easy. As always, use at your own risk. If life doesn't get you in the end, Al in alum or Cl in salt could eventually kill you. Ha.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Like that:

Alum solubility increases dramatically with temperature so, to avoid applying too much of it on skin, use cold water.
Very easy. As always, use at your own risk. If life doesn't get you in the end, Al in alum or Cl in salt could eventually kill you. Ha.

I always do a cold water final rinse, weather it is winter time, or summer time. Also according to many manufacture instructions, alum should be rinsed off after 30-seconds of the application. I personally agree with this, because after about a minute, my face and neck begin to tingle/itch, this is because I am starting to have a reaction to the alum in the dry down. So follow directions, rinse after 30-seconds. Your not gonna die folks sheesh lol.

Top Bottom