What's new

My wife lovingly thinks I'm nuts over my growing collection!! How about you?

I've got all synthetics except one horse hair brush. No badgers and no Boars!
Honestly, the synthetics are so good that I don't see the need for using anything else.
yeah, I have used the RR Plissoft exclusively for a long time, then I got a couple of other brushes, a 2band finest SOC badger and lately a PAA synth. After 2 weeks of PAA I tried today the badger again. Face feel is better, in everything else the two synths win by a mile. At least we don't need to drop the big bucks on badgers.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
would a man need more than 10 razors?? I have 10. :)

You are right. I try to keep it to 10 razors…….. of each model. When I get to 10 Wolfman and 10 Charcoal Goods and 10 Blacklands I may stop getting those brands. Same with Gillettes. I try to keep it to 10 Techs, 10 Slims, 10 Aristocrats, etc. But I’ve had to segregate by country too with some. So I allow myself to have 10 English Techs as well. So yeah, 10 razors. 🤪😜😎

Just seems that way based on the threads I read vs. don't read. But I would be very pleased to think that most guys still prefer traditional boar and badger brushes.

Not me either. As much as I love a super luxurious shave with a Paladin badger from time to time, I still prefer the convenience, lathering prowess, efficiency, and face feel of a high end synthetic for most of my shaves.

We're all a little nuts, talking about shaving online. My wife just frames my shaving hobby as it's got to be healthier than hookers and blow

1661360732116.gif

My fiancée knows I'm prone to dive into hobbies head first, and that I'm generally pretty nutty 🤷🏻‍♂️

That said she doesn't mind as long as I keep a fairly small collection of razors, and promise to pay for new razor acquisitions by selling old ones as I work through to find my preferences. We're working towards 5ish razors, 3ish brushes, and free reign to continue buying blades, soaps, and balms. Let's see how well I can keep coloring in the lines...vintage razors don't count, right?

I’ve said it before; I have no other hobbies that I spend money on. I go for a while not buying anything except blades/soaps/creams as I run out and then a for a short time I pickup a razor or two. Fiddle with the new lineup for a bit and then let go of the ones that don’t agree with my ugly face.

I’m averaging about 3.5 razors, 1.8 brushes so I absolutely do not have a problem.

(86.3% of statistics are made up on the spot)

Up to now she has been very forgiving and from time to time she reminds me of the maximum space I get for storing everything in the bathroom. I have been able to stretch now a couple of times, but as long as I keep the number of razors down she is ok. A new vintage one is underway (no, actually three 😓🙄😳

Blades on the other hand is were my nuttiness surfaces more easily - luckily for me those are stored in my cabinets and not in the den. I have over a 1,200 (and counting 😉😜)

I cannot say anything about her shoes or bags, because I can rival with her in that department. So I stick with the razors I have and go nuts with blades and soaps. And brushes perhaps.

And yes @LRod - your acquisition speed did flare up some of my RAD, but I just enjoy your enthusiasm in these posts that it almost feels like I have bought them myself.

Best,

Guido

The only thing my wife questions is my "need" for so many shaving brushes (35). I tried telling her they need to thoroughly dry out in between shaves but she is not buying that explanation.

Recently, we packed up to move from Arizona to Florida. Prior to the move, I sold off some razors and soaps. She was actually encouraging and said I should keep what I needed! We have been living in hotels for almost a month and she has seen me using the same razor and brush for that month. She now appreciates my need for variety since her selection of various soaps, creams, etc. has been limited.

Yesterday she noticed that I was using the same shaving soap (Seaforth Sea Spice Lime) for some time (today was the 62nd day in a row to use this soap) and she asked when I would be using something different!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You are right. I try to keep it to 10 razors…….. of each model. When I get to 10 Wolfman and 10 Charcoal Goods and 10 Blacklands I may stop getting those brands. Same with Gillettes. I try to keep it to 10 Techs, 10 Slims, 10 Aristocrats, etc. But I’ve had to segregate by country too with some. So I allow myself to have 10 English Techs as well. So yeah, 10 razors. 🤪😜😎

Not me either. As much as I love a super luxurious shave with a Paladin badger from time to time, I still prefer the convenience, lathering prowess, efficiency, and face feel of a high end synthetic for most of my shaves.
LOL, Brad.... Guitars, razors and brushes, oh my. <eg>

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I started out with one very good synth brush (a G4 ESC Ultimate.... amazing two tone anodized aluminum handle that is just perfect). I tried to find a second synth I liked as much and that took way too long and I wasted some money.

I read the May Mistura Madness thread every day and that started my buying frenzy into natural fiber brushes. I had a blast buying the Misturas, boars and finally, a few badgers. My little collection is complete now, unless something special comes along but not $500 special. I'm basically referring to the Semogue limited editions that are sometimes done for group buys. Some of them are reportedly very nice.

Edit: For me... the "secret" to benefitting from B&B's collective knowledge is to find people who enjoy the same things you do... the same feel for a razor on their face, you know... mild, medium or aggressive... with brushes... the same face feel you enjoy.. soaps... what they value in a soap... and follow their suggestions. It saves a lot of time and money, at least, that's what I've found to be helpful for me.

I started out with one very good synth brush (a G4 ESC Ultimate.... amazing two tone anodized aluminum handle that is just perfect). I tried to find a second synth I liked as much and that took way too long and I wasted some money.

I read the May Mistura Madness thread every day and that started my buying frenzy into natural fiber brushes. I had a blast buying the Misturas, boars and finally, a few badgers. My little collection is complete now, unless something special comes along but not $500 special. I'm basically referring to the Semogue limited editions that are sometimes done for group buys. Some of them are reportedly very nice.

Edit: For me... the "secret" to benefitting from B&B's collective knowledge is to find people who enjoy the same things you do... the same feel for a razor on their face, you know... mild, medium or aggressive... with brushes... the same face feel you enjoy.. soaps... what they value in a soap... and follow their suggestions. It saves a lot of time and money, at least, that's what I've found to be helpful for me.
Yup, never take advice from people who don't know what they're talking about. You know, the ones who don't agree with you! ;) I don't listen to people who shave with straights, buy boutique/artisan soaps and razors, and vote differently than I do... :D

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
LOL, Brad.... Guitars, razors and brushes, oh my. <eg>
It was the guitars that led me to collecting lots of razors. I was good for at least one guitar a month. It got out of hand. So I fell into the wet shaving game at a time when I was looking to ween myself off the guitar habit big time. Razors are much smaller and much less impactful on the wallet. But now a bunch of years later I’m trying to ween myself off the shaving madness. Maybe next I’ll collect grains of sand. That’s pretty small. 😜😜🤪

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It was the guitars that led me to collecting lots of razors. I was good for at least one guitar a month. It got out of hand. So I fell into the wet shaving game at a time when I was looking to ween myself off the guitar habit big time. Razors are much smaller and much less impactful on the wallet. But now a bunch of years later I’m trying to ween myself off the shaving madness. Maybe next I’ll collect grains of sand. That’s pretty small. 😜😜🤪
I bought my two Petros guitars when Matt wasn't that well known.... his guitars start at $10k now... I paid $3500 for my Rosewood Dreadnought and $7500 for my Ebony body Dreadnought... and that was with a Sunrise pickup in each of them.

If you take out the 50mm f1.8 lens I have, the cheapest lens after that is $600 for a refurbished 24-105 lens..... Razors are a much less expensive hobby, as you just noted.

Edit: I don't have enough razors to know this for a fact, but I do know.... every guitar has its own voice.. even if they are the same model.... and I suspect the differences in musical instruments if far greater than the differences in how various razors perform.

I understand you guys - guitars (13ish - acoustic and electric, mandolin, banjo), amps (9-10), cameras (lost count), telescopes, eyepieces, binoculars (too many), books (around 2000 last count), homes (one too many), cigars (I don't smoke anymore; what do I do with them?), guns, ammo, reloading supplies? (fuggediboudit).

I understand you guys - guitars (13ish - acoustic and electric, mandolin, banjo), amps (9-10), cameras (lost count), telescopes, eyepieces, binoculars (too many), books (around 2000 last count), homes (one too many), cigars (I don't smoke anymore; what do I do with them?), guns, ammo, reloading supplies? (fuggediboudit).
Drums & Cymbals! Lots of them!
I've got a room just for that and my recording equipment. Been playing for 39 years and the collecting bug hit me in the last 5 years.

Drums & Cymbals! Lots of them!
I've got a room just for that and my recording equipment. Been playing for 39 years and the collecting bug hit me in the last 5 years.
I've been playing since before I was shaving. Started around 1963ish. Heck, I built what we call "the studio" when my kids were little. There is a little Yamaha 4-track cassette recorder in there and a drum kit but I've lost interest in playing the last couple years and now, I have no idea what to do with all this crap! Don't live in a major metro area and am loathe to ship something like a '61 Fender Concert or a Martin D-42.

I've been playing since before I was shaving. Started around 1963ish. Heck, I built what we call "the studio" when my kids were little. There is a little Yamaha 4-track cassette recorder in there and a drum kit but I've lost interest in playing the last couple years and now, I have no idea what to do with all this crap! Don't live in a major metro area and am loathe to ship something like a '61 Fender Concert or a Martin D-42.
Craigslist!

Top Bottom