What's new

Tips for lathering Tabac

I have been using shaving creams for several years, but recently decided to try Tabac as I have seen it recommended several times. I have used it a few times now, but I am not getting a good lather and it isn't lubricating the razor. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting a better lather and ultimately a better, smoother shave with Tabac?

For reference, I am using a best badger brush that is soaked in hot water while I shower. I then put some hot water in the soap dish with the puck for a couple of minutes before starting to shave. The first time I tried Tabac, I tried getting some soap in the brush and then creating lather in a bowl, but that didn't work well at all. The next couple of times I tried creating the lather right on the puck which was better, but the shave still felt very dry.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Nick

Tabac requires copious amounts of water to lather properly.

When you think you’ve added enough, add water again (and again).

As several have already mentioned, Tabac lathers well right on top of the puck with plenty of water. I also only use one of my Omega boars with plenty of backbone. Lathers right up without messing around.

If you're used to shaving cream, a hard soap takes longer to load and needs more water added. I'd suggest a brush with some backbone to load the soap easier. You want the brush tips to be saturated with soap, then begin mixing in more water in stages, usually about three stages. Tabac is really easy compared to some other hard soaps out there.

Remember, plenty of soap + plenty of water = plenty of lather

If you don't have enough water added, the lather will not be as slick as it should be.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Tallow Tabac will lather if you bring a brush into the same room.
As suggested, try more water than you've been using.
That picture perfect lather that looks like whipped cream? It shaves like whipped cream too.
I like a very wet lather and find it's much slicker than white foamy cool whip.

whip-cool-whip.gif

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Of course you should do whatever works for you, but I do not think that it is correct to build the lather on the puck itself. To me that would be wasteful of soap and difficult to control the amount of soap used. I suggest it is better to bloom the soap if you prefer - I do not, then load the damp brush with soap from the puck, and finally face lather as I do, or transfer to a separate lather bowl wherer you actually build the lather proper. You can add water at that stage to get the consistency you prefer. I like a wet, thin, slightly translucent lather, not that creamy yogurt stuff which I find awful to shave with. I would experiment with blooming, and changing the water to soap ratio rather than lathering on the puck. Of course, if lathering on the puck works for you and you like it then carry on doing it 👍

Of course you should do whatever works for you, but I do not think that it is correct to build the lather on the puck itself. To me that would be wasteful of soap and difficult to control the amount of soap used. I suggest it is better to bloom the soap if you prefer - I do not, then load the damp brush with soap from the puck, and finally face lather as I do, or transfer to a separate lather bowl wherer you actually build the lather proper. You can add water at that stage to get the consistency you prefer. I like a wet, thin, slightly translucent lather, not that creamy yogurt stuff which I find awful to shave with. I would experiment with blooming, and changing the water to soap ratio rather than lathering on the puck. Of course, if lathering on the puck works for you and you like it then carry on doing it 👍
Agree. The puck is for loading, a bowl or face is for lathering.

lasta

Blade Biter
Tabac lathers every time I give it a wink.

Well I have to rub some on the eyelids first. Pre-shave is important.

Thanks for all of the tips. I'm going to try with more water tomorrow. As some have mentioned, I would prefer to lather in a bowl (but may try directly on my face). It seems like lathering directly on the puck would just waste a lot of soap.

Top Bottom