What's new

First SE Injector shave with an E1(?)…thoughts.

I am assuming a miscommunication then.

I do write hazy and incoherent posts most of the time.:letterk1:
I am afraid this is my fault for hijacking his thread to try to get you blades quickly! He clearly wasn't responding to my post above as the previous ones were asking about markings on the razors not visible in his original photos. :)

By the way, those blades should be good for 15-30 shaves each! :eek2:

Last edited:
I am afraid this is my fault for hijacking his thread to try to get you blades quickly! He clearly wasn't responding to my post above as the previous ones were asking about markings on the razors not visible in his original photos. :)

By the way, those blades should be good for 15-30 shaves each! :eek2:
Yes, that’s correct, I think we got crossed wires. 😉
Sorry for the confusion. 😊

Well I finally had a shave with a Schick Injector.
I got what I think is an E1 in the case, and it came with an original Injector and a second more well-used razor, possibly an E2.
Being a DE shaver for years, I wanted to try a Schick to compare the experience.
I know there will be a learning curve with these, and I had to inject a vintage blade since my new blades aren’t in yet, so I’m sure these will be factors. 😉
The E feels very aggressive. Gives a very good close shave but is aggressive to the point of being a little rough.
Holding the blade flat to the face helps this a lot, but not entirely.
It felt very light in the hand compared to any of my DE razors so the tendency is to put pressure on it, but this wasn’t necessary at all.
I tried an L1 on part of my face and it was much milder and more forgiving, quite pleasant to use, but not as effective (again, a new blade might fix that). 😉
I really like the L1 as it is as pleasant to use as my Tech.
I will give the E some time too, just to see if my technique improves. The quality of shave is certainly great on that one. 😃
No nicks or cuts, but I could feel that it would be easily possible if one wasn’t careful.
It will be fun to see if I can get acquainted with these. 😊
View attachment 1511149
View attachment 1511157
a93f487a-0370-4bf6-8016-c881fe43b5ec-jpeg.1511158

View attachment 1511159
Great photos. Thanks for sharing. I have been shaving for the last week with a Schick E injector and a modern Personna blade. One of my favorite razors. I don't find it aggressive, but I have a coarse beard and my skin is not sensitive. Also, I've been using Schick injectors off and on for 2 years and have the muscle memory for them. YMMV. I definitely would wait until you have modern injector blades before using the E again. I've used vintage blades for different types of razors and they don't meet modern standards of closeness and efficiency.

Whiterook is a renowned expert on identifying vintage razors, they can be fascinating and every so often an unusual one turns up. I’ve had this one for several years, used it this morning with a Personna blade. Note that it has one serial number and others pending so that makes it an E, but it also has a seam on the handle which makes it a G. My guess has always been that it was built during the transition from the Bakelite E handles to the plastic G.
C566806F-2748-4625-B34B-3C095E1D1029.jpeg
6DC13676-BAD5-4C1A-8D05-4DC5F730633C.jpeg

Whiterook is a renowned expert on identifying vintage razors, they can be fascinating and every so often an unusual one turns up. I’ve had this one for several years, used it this morning with a Personna blade. Note that it has one serial number and others pending so that makes it an E, but it also has a seam on the handle which makes it a G. My guess has always been that it was built during the transition from the Bakelite E handles to the plastic G.View attachment 1511641View attachment 1511642
Nice photo. Always love the vintage appeal of Bakelite.

I am puzzled now. The package clearly is marked 'Made in Sweden.'

Can anyone clarify their origins?

I am uninterested as to what the blades national origin is, as the chicks appear to be Chinese (great reports) the Connault Personnas US (great reports from many) or these apparently Swedish vintage blades (recommended by an experienced brother shaver)
I think he meant his razors, so one E and a G1.

Yeah, I tried that a long time ago and no smell. Appleby shows plastic handles with seams starting with the G1, and I recall some speculation in the past that plastic was cheaper and/or easier to work with than Bakelite.
Probably another byproduct of war time manufacturing. They were probably making everything out of modern plastics and those are the machines they had at the end of the war to make consumer goods with. I thought some '50s cars still had Bakelite knobs though... 🤔

I guess cheap and easy might be the explanation.

I just got a Canadian E3, black bakelite handle and bright nickled head. The spring is marked Eversharp Schick. It has tabs on the spring and the 1937 patent date. I haven't taken photos yet. There are lots that happened during and after that Eversharp buyout.

Cool, thanks for the info, so a Bakelite E in the case, and a G with the plastic handle I’m betting is what I have here then. 😉
The new yellow-card Schick blades came in, so I loaded up the G, tried it on half my face and…..it made it a bit smoother, but it made it even more aggressive, turning my face into hamburger, even though I was extremely careful.
However, I loaded another new blade into the L, did my other half and re-shaved the rest. Very pleasant shave.
In fact, I think I found my new daily razor!
It was as smooth, mild, and blood-free as my Tech, but left as clean and smooth a face as my Adjustable on about setting 5.
Really nice. 😊
So, while the E and G are historic beautiful looking additions to my collector’s shelf, the L is just a great shaver that will be pressed into service. 😉
54FC9BDB-1F40-492A-AFAE-56EDBEFB5793.jpeg
A2FD7DF8-7429-48DA-B16F-B22441A5A14D.jpeg

Cool, thanks for the info, so a Bakelite E in the case, and a G with the plastic handle I’m betting is what I have here then. 😉
The new yellow-card Schick blades came in, so I loaded up the G, tried it on half my face and…..it made it a bit smoother, but it made it even more aggressive, turning my face into hamburger, even though I was extremely careful.
However, I loaded another new blade into the L, did my other half and re-shaved the rest. Very pleasant shave.
In fact, I think I found my new daily razor!
It was as smooth, mild, and blood-free as my Tech, but left as clean and smooth a face as my Adjustable on about setting 5.
Really nice. 😊
So, while the E and G are historic beautiful looking additions to my collector’s shelf, the L is just a great shaver that will be pressed into service. 😉
View attachment 1512077View attachment 1512078
Well that's actually a very worrying post.

You seem to be saying, Brother Retro, that the type G is way too aggressive and unforgiving for daily or even occasional use, and you will be using the much later L type?

The problem is, I buy razors to use, and I have just snagged a type E, which would appear to be way up there in the Schick effectiveness scale.

So how do I use it without getting a hamburgered face?

What is the best technique to use, in terms of angle, pressure, and anything else which would bear on getting an effective and enjoyable shave, and not an unpleasant experience which means it just gets left in it's case?

Anyone?

There are a lot of daily users and fans of these models, so I’m sure it’s mostly me. 😉
I do prefer a milder razor, and I’m new to Schicks, so I have no real technique yet.
BUT
I have heard from many that the Es and Gs are more aggressive than later models and therefore less forgiving, requiring a well-honed technique, but I can only speak based on my own very limited exposure so far. 😉
I had my second shave with the L today (another great shave, but still requiring more care and attention than most DE razors I’ve used), but I’ll put that in its own separate post. 😃
I’d say don’t let this discourage you from trying them! 😊

Top Bottom