What's new

Boar, Badger, Synthetic - oh my!

This is a post for us newbies - new to using a certain material, new to wet shaving, new to the forums, or even new to a particular brush...one way or another that should cover just about all of us, right?

What has been your experiences with your brushes so far? What differences have you noticed in loft, bristle material, breaking them in, etc.? Let us know, share your thoughts, pros, and cons, and maybe most importantly, pictures!

I can get us started.

This is my Omega 10066. It was fairly cheap on Amazon at $9.99, and I think that price point has helped me feel much more comfortable experimenting with it. It has a 24mm boar bristle not and a plastic, faux ivory handle.

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 2.03.42 PM.png

(Picture was taken between 1st and 2nd repetition of the break-in process)

When I first got the brush, I used several of the break-in methods as described in various wikis and threads found here. My process was:
  • soak the brush in warm water
  • wash it thoroughly with dish soap
  • Wash out the soap, then let it soak in soapy warm water
  • Wash it out one final time and let it dry; then
  • dip about a half inch of the brush into near-boiling water for a few seconds, then transfer it immediately into colder water
  • squeeze the cold water out of the brush
  • repeat the above two steps several times (I think I did it about ten times over)
  • Let the brush dry; then
  • work a lather into the brush, and let it dry with the lather for eight hours
  • wash the lather out
I completed this whole process three times over the span of 9 days, shaving with the brush in between. I understand that this might not be something you want to subject a more expensive brush to, both for the sake of the knot or the handle, but let me tell you - this softened the bristles right up and totally replaced any smell with the smell of my soap. At this point, a majority of the bristles have split, and the brush is an absolute pleasure to use.

I'll restate again, you likely won't want to take all these steps with a more expensive brush. If you've done any kind of process to help break in a higher-end brush, please share!

Cool topic!

I only have experience with synthetic brushes so far. Of the inexpensive variety I really like the RazoRock Plissoft. I recently picked up a Rudy Vey with a Muhle STF knot and it’s blown me away with how soft it is. The only other synthetic I have any desire to try is An AP Shave G5C.

I’ve ordered, but not yet received, my first non-synthetic - a Semogue Mistura which is a mix of boar and badger. They get excellent reviews and from what I’ve read basically require zero break-in. I’m excited to try it.

I also want to try a badger brush of some kind. The Zenith Manchurian and Shavemac Silvertip are two on my radar.

Here are my current brushes.
5800EE29-697E-4E2A-82EF-6D0F9A08CD55.jpeg

95B4094A-0612-4F5A-8C46-73BD556D9E8D.jpeg

I’ve ordered, but not yet received, my first non-synthetic - a Semogue Mistura which is a mix of boar and badger. They get excellent reviews and from what I’ve read basically require zero break-in. I’m excited to try it.

I’m definitely going to be contacting Mr Vey before too long with a brush order, I’ve seen that on your shaving journal and it’s flat out beautiful. I’m thinking I’ll ask if he can do the cobalt blue that was used in the 2022 contributor brush (if only I had been here in time!)

I hadn’t heard about a mixed brush before, but that sounds really cool. Im looking forward to your getting it! Fun fact, “mistura” literally means “mixture” in Portuguese, so very fitting from the Portuguese company Semogue to produce that idea haha. I’m looking at getting one of their matching stainless steel brushes they sell through Tatara when I eventually grab one of their razors!

Excellent topic for a thread! I'll be reading with interest.
I’m very tempted to get a couple of cheaper brushes of varying materials, just to experiment with this process further. Because who doesn’t need another rabbit hole?

I’m definitely going to be contacting Mr Vey before too long with a brush order, I’ve seen that on your shaving journal and it’s flat out beautiful. I’m thinking I’ll ask if he can do the cobalt blue that was used in the 2022 contributor brush (if only I had been here in time!)

I hadn’t heard about a mixed brush before, but that sounds really cool. Im looking forward to your getting it! Fun fact, “mistura” literally means “mixture” in Portuguese, so very fitting from the Portuguese company Semogue to produce that idea haha. I’m looking at getting one of their matching stainless steel brushes they sell through Tatara when I eventually grab one of their razors!

Awesome! Yeah, I can’t recommend Rudy enough. Do you have any idea what kind of knot you might get? The cobalt handle looks awesome and I love the shape of that contributor brush too; probably what I will ask for if/when I get another.

Awesome! Yeah, I can’t recommend Rudy enough. Do you have any idea what kind of knot you might get? The cobalt handle looks awesome and I love the shape of that contributor brush too; probably what I will ask for if/when I get another.
Since I've only had experience with my boar brush, I think I'll try a few different kinds of fibers first to figure out what role I want my "king brush" to fill haha

This is a post for us newbies - new to using a certain material, new to wet shaving, new to the forums, or even new to a particular brush...one way or another that should cover just about all of us, right?

What has been your experiences with your brushes so far? What differences have you noticed in loft, bristle material, breaking them in, etc.? Let us know, share your thoughts, pros, and cons, and maybe most importantly, pictures!

I can get us started.

This is my Omega 10066. It was fairly cheap on Amazon at $9.99, and I think that price point has helped me feel much more comfortable experimenting with it. It has a 24mm boar bristle not and a plastic, faux ivory handle.

View attachment 1510201
(Picture was taken between 1st and 2nd repetition of the break-in process)

When I first got the brush, I used several of the break-in methods as described in various wikis and threads found here. My process was:
  • soak the brush in warm water
  • wash it thoroughly with dish soap
  • Wash out the soap, then let it soak in soapy warm water
  • Wash it out one final time and let it dry; then
  • dip about a half inch of the brush into near-boiling water for a few seconds, then transfer it immediately into colder water
  • squeeze the cold water out of the brush
  • repeat the above two steps several times (I think I did it about ten times over)
  • Let the brush dry; then
  • work a lather into the brush, and let it dry with the lather for eight hours
  • wash the lather out
I completed this whole process three times over the span of 9 days, shaving with the brush in between. I understand that this might not be something you want to subject a more expensive brush to, both for the sake of the knot or the handle, but let me tell you - this softened the bristles right up and totally replaced any smell with the smell of my soap. At this point, a majority of the bristles have split, and the brush is an absolute pleasure to use.

I'll restate again, you likely won't want to take all these steps with a more expensive brush. If you've done any kind of process to help break in a higher-end brush, please share!
The Omega 10066 is one of my favorite brushes. It IS a pleasure to use. There are excellent performers in almost any price point. Phoenix synthetic brushes are excellent and ~ $20. And then there is the deep end. Enjoy the journey.

I've only ever had one brush: my little Bambino. I bought it for it's versatility. It's shaved in my bathroom, various hotels, truck stop shower-rooms, my camper home, and visited multiple countries with me, easily. Fits inside a prescription bottle, which can be had for the asking from any pharmacy (drill holes for airflow). It's small, but well enough for doing my face, which is all I shave.
It's a boar, but I never did anything to break it in except shave with it. I never had an issue with lingering smells or irritation, or any other problems. I do have occasional shedding for whatever reason, but there isn't anything I can do about that.
It's a trooper. I'd recommend it.
I've been looking at the Stirling artificial brush, but I don't really NEED it...
Viva la Bambino.

Great thread!

Here are my $0.02:
1. Synthetics provide great value and are especially attractive as travel brushes because they dry quickly.
2. Natural brushes (horse, boar and badger) have marked variability because hair comes from individual animals. The best ’value’ for the $ is either horse or boar. I have little experience with horse hair brushes. However, a well broken in boar brush is a real pleasure!
3. Badger brushes are my personal favorite! My preference is for anything ’higher’ than the ‘pure’ grade.

Hope this helps!

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Cool topic!

I only have experience with synthetic brushes so far. Of the inexpensive variety I really like the RazoRock Plissoft. I recently picked up a Rudy Vey with a Muhle STF knot and it’s blown me away with how soft it is. The only other synthetic I have any desire to try is An AP Shave G5C.

I also want to try a badger brush of some kind. The Zenith Manchurian and Shavemac Silvertip are two on my radar.

Here are my current brushes.
View attachment 1510239

View attachment 1510240
Curious to know your take on the Stirling. I’ve always liked the look of the handle, but synths are not my really my thing. That being said, how would you rate it compared to your other synths pictured?

Curious to know your take on the Stirling. I’ve always liked the look of the handle, but synths are not my really my thing. That being said, how would you rate it compared to your other synths pictured?

I really like the handle but overall it's my least favorite and lacks flow-through. For similar money I would definitely recommend the RazoRock Plissoft.

My experience so far with brushes include the Mühle “Vivo” Black Fiber synthetic, 4 PAA synthetics, the Zenith Black Synthetic N1, an AP Shave Co G5B knot on a custom Trotter Handcrafts handle, a Simpson Classic 1 synthetic, the Simpson Trafalgar T3, the Rudy Vey 2022 Contributor Brush with the Mühle STF knot, a Paladin with a 2-band Silvertip, and a Zenith Manchurin “chubby”. I have a Shavemac 2-band Silvertip Fan shipped and awaiting delivery, and a M&F custom with Finest Fan on order.

Of the synthetics, I’ve traded/sold all the with the exception of the PAA Atomic Rocket, the Mühle Vivo, and the RV with Mühle STF knot. I found the Zenith N1, the Trafalgar T3, and the G5B knot to be too stiff. The Simpson Classic 1 was too small and too stiff, the worse brush I’ve ever used. Of my current 3 synthetics, the Mühle STF knot is my favorite. The Atomic Rocket with its Plisson knot is a beast and will make a great travel brush. The Mühle Vivo is pure luxury. The only other synthetic I may want to try is the AP Shave Co G5C knot.

Of my 2 current badgers, I prefer the Paladin over the Zenith Manchurian because the knot is softer/more luxurious. That said, I still like the massage and scrub afforded by the Manchurian fibers. The Shavemac and M&F knots will probably feel similar to the Paladin, but will hopefully complete my collection. If my addiction disorder kicks in again, I may look into a Paladin Micarta.

My experience so far with brushes include the Mühle “Vivo” Black Fiber synthetic, 4 PAA synthetics, the Zenith Black Synthetic N1, an AP Shave Co G5B knot on a custom Trotter Handcrafts handle, a Simpson Classic 1 synthetic, the Simpson Trafalgar T3, the Rudy Vey 2022 Contributor Brush with the Mühle STF knot, a Paladin with a 2-band Silvertip, and a Zenith Manchurin “chubby”. I have a Shavemac 2-band Silvertip Fan shipped and awaiting delivery, and a M&F custom with Finest Fan on order.

Of the synthetics, I’ve traded/sold all the with the exception of the PAA Atomic Rocket, the Mühle Vivo, and the RV with Mühle STF knot. I found the Zenith N1, the Trafalgar T3, and the G5B knot to be too stiff. The Simpson Classic 1 was too small and too stiff, the worse brush I’ve ever used. Of my current 3 synthetics, the Mühle STF knot is my favorite. The Atomic Rocket with its Plisson knot is a beast and will make a great travel brush. The Mühle Vivo is pure luxury. The only other synthetic I may want to try is the AP Shave Co G5C knot.

Of my 2 current badgers, I prefer the Paladin over the Zenith Manchurian because the knot is softer/more luxurious. That said, I still like the massage and scrub afforded by the Manchurian fibers. The Shavemac and M&F knots will probably feel similar to the Paladin, but will hopefully complete my collection. If my addiction disorder kicks in again, I may look into a Paladin Micarta.

I will definitely be interested in your thoughts on the Shavemac and how it compares to your synthetics.

I will definitely be interested in your thoughts on the Shavemac and how it compares to your synthetics.
They’ll both be top performers, I’m certain. It’s hard to beat any Silvertip 2-band, especially in fan, for face lathering. But the Mühle STF is no slouch, comes in a very close second to my Paladin for face feel, drys quickly, and is better suited for bowl lathering. It’s also more “humane”. If you were to invest in only 1 brush, I’d recommend the Mühle STF knot with a custom RV handle of your choosing.

They’ll both be top performers, I’m certain. It’s hard to beat any Silvertip 2-band, especially in fan, for face lathering. But the Mühle STF is no slouch, comes in a very close second to my Paladin for face feel, drys quickly, and is better suited for bowl lathering. It’s also more “humane”. If you were to invest in only 1 brush, I’d recommend the Mühle STF knot with a custom RV handle of your choosing.
It's definitely much higher on my acquisition list than mostly anything else right now. And this thread isn't helping!

My experiences with brushes are as follows:

One Simpson T2, one RazorRock Big Bruce, and one Omega 48 Boar.

I gave away the Simpsons, it was nice, but a little too small perhaps. The RazoRock Big Bruce is great. Still learning how to get the most out of it. The Omega 48 is also very nice, I rotate between the Omega and the RazoRock. I have no want for anything else. If and when the Boar bites the dust, I wont replace it. I will be synths from here on out I think.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
As far as natural hair brushes are concerned-

Boar- TERRIFIC bang for your buck. I prefer them used. I like someone else to break them in and take the initial $ hit.

Badger- go big(ish) or don't bother. I do believe that badger hair brushes have certain luxurious qualities associated with them. Lesser badger brushes not so much. In my experience if you're not dropping in the realm of $100 for a badger you won't be reaping the benefits of the brush. Lesser badgers shed, stink, lack backbone, scritch and density.

Horse- limited experience here, I've only owned one and it was an inexpensive brush at that.

Top Bottom