What's new

The Frankenrazor Thread

My favorite "frankenrazor" right now is the black aluminum Lupo head with a stainless West Coast Shaving handle.

IMG_20220609_203644315.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20220611_093236~2.jpg

Razor: R41 Frankenrazor (Mühle R41 Plate, Yintal Bronze Cap, GSC R41+ Rose Gold Handle)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (5 and retired)
Brush: Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E (TNS 26mm Quartermoon Knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: PannaCrema Nuàvia Blu
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Fragrance: Belcam Volatile EdT Spray
20220611_093333~2.jpg

Decided to take another spin with the R41 Frankenrazor (with thanks to @BradWorld, original discussion here: First time with the dreaded R41 - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/first-time-with-the-dreaded-r41.608718/). Looks good and shaves great! :thumbup:
20220608_211718~2.jpg

Superb shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11803580

Hello fellow shavers!

Quite by accident I created my Frankenrazor as my Piccolo dropped with all it's weight on bathroom tiles (no damage to floor, lucky me) but thread post on Fatip got loosen. It wiggles, although not seen as damaged yet, but some structural corruption is there, no doubt. So just for an experiment, I tried to see whether the base plate might fit to R89:

1655365559150.jpg

1655365559155.jpg

Blade pins fits perfectly (strange or not) and to be honest blade alignment is great. For the first look, it seems that blade is exposed bit more, compared to Piccolo cap, so it's up to see how well would it shave. One thing is for sure - I wish I got R89 in chrome as these gold-shades now make it look like a true gipsy-razor, my eyes hurt a little bit :D

Feather ASD1/Ikon Deluxe oc. 12/13 years old and always works well. Like a beefed up open comb Tech. I’ve had brief affairs with other razors but this is the one I always return to. Constantly 8/10 shaves with little or no chance of a bite. The cut down handle made me love it even more.
68EF56DA-F192-4B8F-96A1-BEF5848CE442.jpeg

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
8ve paired the base plate of my DSCosmetic Z0, a stainless steel Muhle R41 clone, with the top cap of my Karve Brass CB widebody...shaves like a dream. More blade is exposed on each side as the top cap is more narrow than the one that ce with the DSCosmetic Z0, but rather than making the razor more aggressive, it seems smoother and easier to me.

My only issue with it is the different metals. I ordered a stainless steel top cap that I'm hoping will have the same more narrow configuration that will hopefully fit in the DSCosmetic Z0...will know this week.

Hello fellow shavers!

Quite by accident I created my Frankenrazor as my Piccolo dropped with all it's weight on bathroom tiles (no damage to floor, lucky me) but thread post on Fatip got loosen. It wiggles, although not seen as damaged yet, but some structural corruption is there, no doubt. So just for an experiment, I tried to see whether the base plate might fit to R89:

View attachment 1473006

View attachment 1473007

Blade pins fits perfectly (strange or not) and to be honest blade alignment is great. For the first look, it seems that blade is exposed bit more, compared to Piccolo cap, so it's up to see how well would it shave. One thing is for sure - I wish I got R89 in chrome as these gold-shades now make it look like a true gipsy-razor, my eyes hurt a little bit :D

I've been trying the same thing, but with my Edwin Jagger top cap and handle. Seems to work great. The performance is essentially the same as with the Fatip top cap, although it is easier to align the blade using the EJ top cap.

IMG_3151.JPG

I've been trying the same thing, but with my Edwin Jagger top cap and handle. Seems to work great. The performance is essentially the same as with the Fatip top cap, although it is easier to align the blade using the EJ top cap.

View attachment 1473191
If I would judge by image only - would easily say it's made that way 🤗 glad for your positive exp. and hope I'll report the same.
EJ/Mühle caps seems to be narrower than Fatip MK2 but more curved, by first look I'd say that it will clamp blade better

Hello fellow shavers!

View attachment 1473006

View attachment 1473007

Unexpectedly - seems that it inherited more of the R89 features 🤔 not even a 'f' out of Fatip...
However shave was nice and mild, R89 mild to be exact. OC didn't contribute much, no special blade feel, far less than with Fatip so it tricked me into applying more pressure couple times, but no nicks however. I see this as example of "mild open comb" razors and why some people dislike it. I'll rather go with either - mild safety-bar razor or agressive open comb, even slant. This combo just higlighted too much of the mild features of both razors:
- mild as R89 but not for R89 daily use
- mild as Fatip but less efficient (+1 pass needed)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I really like this concept and I'd like to share my Frankenrazor. It's my EJ89L head with the Razorock UFO handle.

razor ball end.jpg

My goal was to recreate the look and feel of my late Dad's Gillette Tech with ball-end handle. I think this fits the bill nicely. Though I do have a Parker open-comb razor on the way and will replace the head with that. After trying my first slant razor this week I have a renewed interest in this hobby and I'm excited to experiment!

2 razors.jpg

Several years ago I jumped on the bandwagon & got 2 Russian "Military" razors. The main feature was a spacer to enable using 2 DE blades for a smoother double edge shave. What I got was razors with handles I put onto other razors, and 2 of the stainless spacers.
The problem was that the crappy heads wouldn't hold the blades straight & they bowed & warped enough to make them unshavable.
Rummaging thru the "junk" I rediscovered a Bali 3 piece and a "Black Tiger" 3 piece razor. Neither shaved worth a darn, but the Russkie spacers will fit.
I put in a couple of used blades, and everything aligned properly, so I shaved a patch of arm hair - works fine.
Next test will be a real shave. I've got some carbon steel blades I'm not satisfied with (not as good as Treet Black Beauties). If they work as well as my old Trac II, I can burn thru a buncha blades that now just take up space.
Of course there are a combination of possibilities beyond using 2 matching blades - maybe a sharper blade atop a milder blade ...

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Sunday Frankenrazor Shave
20220821_114454~2.jpg

Razor: Frankenrazor SLOC/R41 Rosegold
Blade: Personna Med Prep (5 and retired)
Brush: @apshaveco Black Green (AP Shave Co 26mm G5C Fan)
Bowl: Face Lathered
Lather: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Aftershave: Floïd The Genuine
Fragrance: Pino Silvestre Oud Absolute EdT Spray
20220821_114543~2.jpg

Superb shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11896607

Several years ago I jumped on the bandwagon & got 2 Russian "Military" razors. The main feature was a spacer to enable using 2 DE blades for a smoother double edge shave. What I got was razors with handles I put onto other razors, and 2 of the stainless spacers.
The problem was that the crappy heads wouldn't hold the blades straight & they bowed & warped enough to make them unshavable.
Rummaging thru the "junk" I rediscovered a Bali 3 piece and a "Black Tiger" 3 piece razor. Neither shaved worth a darn, but the Russkie spacers will fit.
I put in a couple of used blades, and everything aligned properly, so I shaved a patch of arm hair - works fine.
Next test will be a real shave. I've got some carbon steel blades I'm not satisfied with (not as good as Treet Black Beauties). If they work as well as my old Trac II, I can burn thru a buncha blades that now just take up space.
Of course there are a combination of possibilities beyond using 2 matching blades - maybe a sharper blade atop a milder blade ...
I found a Chinese Gillette Tech Clone that I put a Russian aluminum handle on, and used it instead.
2 Treet New Edge carbon steel blades,separated by the Russkie spacer.
BBS results, but still not as smooth as other carbon steel blades.
I'll try a 2nd shave with the blades tomorrow to see if they work in tandem for multiple shaves, or are the same 1 and done as with other razors.

Last edited:
I found a Chinese Gillette Tech Clone that I put a Russian aluminum handle on, and used it instead.
2 Treet New Edge carbon steel blades,separated by the Russkie spacer.
BBS results, but still not as smooth as other carbon steel blades.
I'll try a 2nd shave with the blades tomorrow to see if they work in tandem for multiple shaves, or are the same 1 and done as with other razors.
Actually, the spacer also fits a RazorRock Tek, so I'll try it tomorrow
Dual Blade Spacer to post.jpg

Moving on, I finally used that cheap Chinese Gillette razor today with the same blades + spacer for their 3rd use.
It was an unprecedented shave for me, since usually my "lesser" carbon blades only do a one-and-done shave.
I'll likely do a future shave with a set of "better" Stainless or Platinum blades, but meanwhile plan another shavectomorrow to see if the blades are up to another BBS shave.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Friday August 26th 2022

Razor : Razorock Wunderbar slant + a modified Micromatic handle(very comfortable handle), Mfg 2016> excellent upper mid range, well built of 316 and machining quality is very accurate for this complicated slant head. Good QC, this razor works well with a steep approach(riding the bar) & light touch with a short handle and results are very good + a joy to use when mastered.
Blade : Gillette Polsilver SI (5) Sharp & smooth with great longevity.
Soap : Razorock Lavender
[IMG]
, nice mid range scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi Mountain lake 24mm 2 band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, great splay scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=
[IMG]
Excellent shave with my RR Wunderbar slant with a Gillette Polsilver SI blade.
[IMG]

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Schick Shave, Aug28th 2022, Shave #1 with a Twin blade in normal seated position in a Gem Micromatic Flying wing. I have used normal Schick injector blades in these great razors but why not try a Twin2 blade in to experiment with. This razor is the mildest of the 3 different variants of the Micromatics and there is 2 ways to use this blade in this Micromatic normal or reversed and I tried both with very good results. When blade is reversed it bumps up efficentcy and slight increase in aggression because blade & spacer increase gap. It did not feel like a injector razor because of weight and smooth handling ease!

Razor : Gem Micromatic Flying wing(AKA, bullet tip, Guiding eye, MMBT)Mfg 1947-50, nice mild to tame mid range, this was the final model of these 3 different main variants. Heaviest of all the 3 models and a joy to use for mild shaves!
Blade : Schick Twin2 injector, excellent blade for longevity + Sharp & Smoooth. I have gotten over 30 shaves with 1st blade. They seem pricy now then when I bought them and they have very long life for a blade at least these ones.
Soap : Gillette Pure cream, nice sweet clean scent with excellent lather protection + makes great ubber lather with remnants of previous soap.
Brush : Yaqi black marble 24 silvertip badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrub + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Nivea refreshing aftershave + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS+ no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Gem MMBT with a Schick Twin 2 injector blade. One of the most comfortable shaves + different and enjoyable IMO.
Schick twin blade in a MMBT hack blade normal..jpg
Schick twin blade in a MMBT hackblade reversed..jpg

Schick twin blade in a MMBT hack..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom