What's new

Looking back on first year with DE - Spacemonkey42

Emulating @T Bone, I'll share as well... This is about my third run at DE shaving and I stuck with it for much longer this time. The last two times I just used one razor, a Merkur 34c and I learned the basics of DE wet shaving. I watched all the Mantic59 videos several times.

This run at DE shaving I took it on as a pandemic project. I hate shaving, so I wanted to turn it into a game and a learning experience. I wanted to try it all. :) I'm in my second half-century, so I have a lot of time to make up for! Also I wanted a distraction from all the stress and bad stuff going on.

Razors

In the other two rounds of wet shaving I got the basics of DE shaving. This round I wanted to try it all. I still have razors I haven't yet shaved with! I tried everything from vintage Gillette through the Leaf. From a Supply through the Henson.

I now know I can shave with most razors. At this point I am tending towards mild-medium razors with sharper blades. Anything with duller blades won't cut my whiskers. I really like my Henson medium and Supply SE. I'm just a few shaves into a Blackland Era and it is looking like a great tool!

I haven't liked my vintage gear that much, but I'll get back to trying it. I hated the OneBlade Genesis, what an awful, inconsistent, proprietary blade. That is the only razor I have returned. (and no, I do not want to hear about using GEM blades)

YEAR 2: I'm going to keep trying lots of razors. I even have more in the drawer I haven't used yet. I've got some adjustables and some more vintage. You only live once. It is a relatively inexpensive hobby. Maybe I'll sell/PIF some of them, maybe just keep them for fun.

Blades

I really did not expect to find so much difference between blades, especially those from the same company and plant. Boy was I wrong and of course you all were right! I learned I need a sharp blade - Voskhod, RK, or Astra SP are too dull for my whiskers. I wish they weren't! Having softer facial hair would be much nicer than my sandpaper face. Oh well, that's what I've got.

My current top 2 blades:

1. Perma-Sharp
2. Nacet

YEAR 2: I'll try different blades now and then, but that isn't a priority. I have more types that I threw into various orders, but I've been spending more time with razors. I know I'm going against the grain here (pun intended, naturally), but there isn't one right way to do this hobby, right?

Brushes

With tougher whiskers I like boar brushes so far and enjoy the light scritching. I've got a couple of inexpensive Omega brushes that I am enjoying. Plus they can really whip up a lather from most soaps.

YEAR 2: I'm trying not to go into this rabbit hole. As long as it can lather well, that's good enough for me. Let's see if I can hold back.

Soaps and creams

I've used a few soaps, but also not trying to dive too much into this rabbit hole. I like Proraso green, Colonel Conk worked well for me, as did older pucks of Williams.

YEAR 2: I've got plenty, I'll use money saved here for more razors. ;) I've got two pucks of Razor Rock and a stick of Arko to try.

Aftershave

I use astringent, then Nivea sensitive balm right now.

YEAR 2: Not looking to go nuts here either.

Technique

I'm not looking for a challenge when I shave. That is what makes me like the Henson, Winning, Supply SE, etc..

YEAR 2: I'll keep experimenting with razors. Right now I've been wondering how much firm blade clamping of a DE or the rigidity of the thicker injector blades are a factor. I've got other razors with more angle options that I'll keep working with to make sure I continue to work on my technique.

Last edited:
Congrats on a successful first year, @spacemonkey42! I've enjoyed our conversations over in the Henson Club thread.

I'm in my second half-century, so I have a lot of time to make up for!
I just hit 1/2 century a few months ago and feel the same way. My uncle gave me a Braun electric when I graduated from high school. I've been thinking that if I'd gotten a DE starter kit instead - maybe a 34c, a brush, a puck of something - and I'd actually learned to shave with it then, then I wouldn't be trying to find what I like so quickly because I wouldn't have had to. I'd have had a 30-year head start!

I now know I can shave with most razors.
Doesn't that feel good? 😃

I hated the OneBlade Genesis, what an awful, inconsistent, proprietary blade. That is the only razor I have returned.
Interesting, Mantic59 and others raved about it and I very nearly started with that instead! I went with the Henson in large part because it wasn't a proprietary blade.

I know I'm going against the grain here (pun intended, naturally), but there isn't one right way to do this hobby, right?
That's something I find really interesting at B&B. You have vintage folks, modern folks, and all-of-the-above folks. You have collectors, and people just looking for great daily drivers. Fast shavers, and those who want a long, luxurious experience. Those who chase BBS, others who are more than happy to get a DFS. And of course, you can pick and choose any combination of shaving gear rabbit holes to explore, or all of them!

Technique

I'm not looking for a challenge when I shave. That is what makes me like the Henson, Winning, Supply SE, etc..
👍🏻👍🏻 Couldn't agree more. It's nice to feel like I can pick up most safety razors and get a pretty good shave, but that doesn't make me want to seek out a challenge just to push myself.

Congrats, and happy shaves in Year 2!

Emulating @T Bone, I'll share as well... This is about my third run at DE shaving and I stuck with it for much longer this time. The last two times I just used one razor, a Merkur 34c and I learned the basics of DE wet shaving. I watched all the Mantic59 videos several times.

This run at DE shaving I took it on as a pandemic project. I hate shaving, so I wanted to turn it into a game and a learning experience. I wanted to try it all. :) I'm in my second half-century, so I have a lot of time to make up for! Also I wanted a distraction from all the stress and bad stuff going on.

Razors

In the other two rounds of wet shaving I got the basics of DE shaving. This round I wanted to try it all. I still have razors I haven't yet shaved with! I tried everything from vintage Gillette through the Leaf. From a Supply through the Henson.

I now know I can shave with most razors. At this point I am tending towards mild-medium razors with sharper blades. Anything with duller blades won't cut my whiskers. I really like my Henson medium and Supply SE. I'm just a few shaves into a Blackland Era and it is looking like a great tool!

I haven't liked my vintage gear that much, but I'll get back to trying it. I hated the OneBlade Genesis, what an awful, inconsistent, proprietary blade. That is the only razor I have returned. (and no, I do not want to hear about using GEM blades)

YEAR 2: I'm going to keep trying lots of razors. I even have more in the drawer I haven't used yet. I've got some adjustables and some more vintage. You only live once. It is a relatively inexpensive hobby. Maybe I'll sell/PIF some of them, maybe just keep them for fun.

Blades

I really did not expect to find so much difference between blades, especially those from the same company and plant. Boy was I wrong and of course you all were right! I learned I need a sharp blade - Voskhod, RK, or Astra SP are too dull for my whiskers. I wish they weren't! Having softer facial hair would be much nicer than my sandpaper face. Oh well, that's what I've got.

My current top 2 blades:

1. Perma-Sharp
2. Nacet

YEAR 2: I'll try different blades now and then, but that isn't a priority. I have more types that I threw into various orders, but I've been spending more time with razors. I know I'm going against the grain here (pun intended, naturally), but there isn't one right way to do this hobby, right?

Brushes

With tougher whiskers I like boar brushes so far and enjoy the light scritching. I've got a couple of inexpensive Omega brushes that I am enjoying. Plus they can really whip up a lather from most soaps.

YEAR 2: I'm trying not to go into this rabbit hole. As long as it can lather well, that's good enough for me. Let's see if I can hold back.

Soaps and creams

I've used a few soaps, but also not trying to dive too much into this rabbit hole. I like Proraso green, Colonel Conk worked well for me, as did older pucks of Williams.

YEAR 2: I've got plenty, I'll use money saved here for more razors. ;) I've got two pucks of Razor Rock and a stick of Arko to try.

Aftershave

I use astringent, then Nivea sensitive balm right now.

YEAR 2: Not looking to go nuts here either.

Technique

YEAR 2: I'll keep experimenting with razors. Right now I've been wondering how much firm blade clamping of a DE or the rigidity of the thicker injector blades are a factor. I've got other razors with more angle options that I'll keep working with to make sure I continue to work on my technique.
Congrats on your milestone!! Keep looking ahead, rabbit holes are easy to fall into :biggrin:

This whole exploration was to try to find a way to enjoy something that I have to do every day and really do not like at all. The challenge of learning has been fun. Right now, I think the most enjoyable part is lathering up. Next would be that first easy pass, not trying anything special. Third would be showing off the shave to the wife. Least favorite is touching up and occasional nicks.

This whole exploration was to try to find a way to enjoy something that I have to do every day and really do not like at all. The challenge of learning has been fun. Right now, I think the most enjoyable part is lathering up. Next would be that first easy pass, not trying anything special. Third would be showing off the shave to the wife. Least favorite is touching up and occasional nicks.
I used to be an electric razor guy. Extremely minimalistic. I would shave first thing in the morning before a shower, I did this because I didn't want to wash the oils off my face. That was my lubrication for the electric razor. Anyways I got tired of never having a close shave so here I am. My favorite part of the shave is lathering, aftershave splash followed by seeing what my wife thinks of my aftershave selection. I like mild moderate as well.

Great thread!

I used to be an electric razor guy. Extremely minimalistic. I would shave first thing in the morning before a shower, I did this because I didn't want to wash the oils off my face. That was my lubrication for the electric razor. Anyways I got tired of never having a close shave so here I am. My favorite part of the shave is lathering, aftershave splash followed by seeing what my wife thinks of my aftershave selection. I like mild moderate as well.
And I gotta say, I really enjoy it when the LOTH tells me she loves the various scents!

And I gotta say, I really enjoy it when the LOTH tells me she loves the various scents!
Same here. I grind menthol crystals in a pepper grinder to add to my soap and/or aftershave. I've gotten comments that this is a good thing, so I think I will keep doing it...

Top Bottom