What's new

"Shave ready" razor pulling?

If you have too steep of an angle, the shave will feel rough, no matter how keen the edge.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again right here & now:

KEEP THE RAZOR SPINE CLOSE TO YOUR FACE!

Don't try and triangulate the mystical "30 degree" angle often refered to in beginner guides, more likely than not that will get you too steep. Trust me, I've been down that road.....

Instead, keep it simple--keep the razor's spine off of your face by only the width of the spine, no more. Really, keep it pretty flat against your face.

The shave will feel much nicer, it will reduce the chance of cuts, and your edge will last much longer as well.

I did get improvement the first few shaves, the tugging wasn't as bad when I had the spine about 1/8" off my face. Thanks for reminding me about that, since I honed it myself I have been maintaining that 30 degree angle. I just got done shaving this morning with a DE but I'll be sure to try that tomorrow.

If you have too steep of an angle, the shave will feel rough, no matter how keen the edge.

Don't try and triangulate the mystical "30 degree" angle often refered to in beginner guides, more likely than not that will get you too steep. Trust me, I've been down that road.....

Instead, keep it simple--keep the razor's spine off of your face by only the width of the spine, no more. Really, keep it pretty flat against your face.

The shave will feel much nicer, it will reduce the chance of cuts, and your edge will last much longer as well.

And the tighter and tauter you can stretch your skin, the easier the razor can glide along.

---And don't nobody be saying nuthin bad about dem DAs!:cool:
:wink:

That's good advice. I listened to those of you on the forum that said to keep the blade FLAT on my face and tilt it until it cuts hair, and leave well enough alone. At least for me, 30 degrees is a suicide angle except under the nose where it's required...

And how can they claim these blades are honed by Lynn when they are factory sharp? Seems pretty misleading IMO.

Like I said the best my shave has felt is when the hollow grind creates a type of suction against my face as the razor glides. It just doesn't seem like it's cutting all that much. I've checked the blade and there is stubble. Is it normal to need at least four passes to get a clean shave with straights? I had to go four yesterday, and there were still patches that needed work when I was done.

Like I said the best my shave has felt is when the hollow grind creates a type of suction against my face as the razor glides. It just doesn't seem like it's cutting all that much. I've checked the blade and there is stubble. Is it normal to need at least four passes to get a clean shave with straights? I had to go four yesterday, and there were still patches that needed work when I was done.

Oh well that's a different problem. I'm also a straight shaving newbie and some days it looks like I've just come out of hiding. Other days my face is sore. And on a few rare occasions, I'm actually clean shaven :lol:. IMO it's a game of patience, but it's such an enjoyable shave I don't care if I can never get as close as I can with a DE. BTW there is no indication that that will be the case, and I have confidence that a straight shave can be >= a DE shave in due time.

Oh well that's a different problem. I'm also a straight shaving newbie and some days it looks like I've just come out of hiding. Other days my face is sore. And on a few rare occasions, I'm actually clean shaven :lol:. IMO it's a game of patience, but it's such an enjoyable shave I don't care if I can never get as close as I can with a DE. BTW there is no indication that that will be the case, and I have confidence that a straight shave can be >= a DE shave in due time.

So true... the learning curve does require patience.

That is similar to what I thought when I first started last Oct, now the str8 gives a far better, smoother, more comfortable shave compared to a DE for me...

the patience of Job...:lol:

So true... the learning curve does require patience.

That is similar to what I thought when I first started last Oct, now the str8 gives a far better, smoother, more comfortable shave compared to a DE for me...

the patience of Job...:lol:

Lucky for me I'm very stubborn :biggrin:

That doesn't sound like Lynn's honing. It sounds like Vintage let it fall through the cracks. Sounds like it was factory honed. IMHO

Lynn makes his razors scary sharp.

And how can they claim these blades are honed by Lynn when they are factory sharp? Seems pretty misleading IMO.

We claim they are honed by Lynn Abrams because they are in fact all honed by him. Our Lynn Abrams honed razors are significantly sharper than those that we receive directly from the Dovo factory as testified by the thousands who have purchased them from us. So, I do not feel that statement is in anyway misleading. Also, somehow overlooked in this whole discussion is the fact that this service is being provided at no charge.

I can assure the membership that we take extreme measure to ensure that things do not "fall through the cracks" as was stated above. We only sell razors that are professionally honed. I want to state that another way. Every razor that we ship has the edge professionally honed to a standard that is far over and above that of the factory edge. All this work is done by Lynn Abrams.

Lynn tests the edge of every razor he hones. They do not come back to me unless they are honed to perfection. Upon completion, these razors are marked by Lynn as honed. Upon receipt back in our shop, they are color coded and labeled by us and segregated in our storeroom from the other razor inventory. There is absolutely no way any of our customers can receive a razor that has not been honed.

On the very rare occasion that we receive a complaint that a customer has received a razor not honed properly, we do not dispute that claim. We direct the customer to return the razor to Lynn (only after contacting us and receiving an RMA number) and we have the razor re-honed at no charge.

Last edited:
We claim they are honed by Lynn Abrams because they are in fact all honed by him. Our Lynn Abrams honed razors are significantly sharper than those that we receive directly from the Dovo factory as testified by the thousands who have purchased them from us. So, I do not feel that statement is in anyway misleading. Also, somehow overlooked in this whole discussion is the fact that this service is being provided at no charge.

I can assure the membership that we take extreme measure to ensure that things do not "fall through the cracks" as was stated above. We only sell razors that are professionally honed. I want to state that another way. Every razor that we ship has the edge professionally honed to a standard that is far over and above that of the factory edge. All this work is done by Lynn Abrams.

Lynn tests the edge of every razor he hones. They do not come back to me unless they are honed to perfection. Upon completion, these razors are marked by Lynn as honed. Upon receipt back in our shop, they are color coded and labeled by us and segregated in our storeroom from the other razor inventory. There is absolutely no way any of our customers can receive a razor that has not been honed.

On the very rare occasion that we receive a complaint that a customer has received a razor not honed properly, we do not dispute that claim. We direct the customer to return the razor to Lynn (only after contacting us and receiving an RMA number) and we have the razor re-honed at no charge.

You know maybe some of us were too quick to judge the product in this thread. My apologies if what I said came out the wrong way. Clearly you are a merchant standing by your product and that is what counts the most to me. I would have no qualms buying a straight from Vintage Blades, and I hope no one else who reads this thread would feel differently.

There are so many variables that go into making a great straight shave. Shave-readyness is only one factor.

As mentioned, too steep of an angle, not enough skin stretching, too much pressure, inneffective lather/beard prep can all give a less than satisfactory shave.

I do not know how much experience the OP has with shaving with a straight. If he is coming direct from a DE, well there will be a definite difference in cutting feel/glide between a PTFE coated DE blade and a straight edge.

Getting a great, effortless, smooth, comfortable straight shave is like hitting a golf ball well--there are lots of wrong ways to do it that give crappy results. But when you finally do get it all right, the feeling is quite satisfying:biggrin:

I will also say that Jim at Vintage is one of the best vendors I've ever dealt with, in any field. Really. He sells great stuff, and has bent over backwards to help me in the past.

In that regards, I would urge members of this forum to show some restraint before naming names in a negative way. If anyone has an issue with any vendor, please, the first thing you should do is to contact that vendor, not just post it up in the forums. Until you do that you can keep it annonymous, such as: "I recently recieved a shave ready honed razor from a reputable dealer, but I'm still having, yadda, yadda, yadda...."

I fully agree with you on this one; there is no reason that Jim would not have helped you out. It would have only taken an email to get it straightened out. I say this out of personal experience from being a patron of Jim's. Hands down the best service I have gotten anywhere for any type of product! There is comfort in spending your money where you know things just get done; no BS! For example, the first time I ordered from Jim I opted for express shipping. The same day my card was refunded the difference in price between standard and express; the reason being that standard takes the same amount of time from VA to NY. How honest is that?

Men like Jim and Lynn want to see more guys enjoy this hobby; I cant think of how much Lynn himself has done for the art of the shave. All that aside; I am a straight newb myself and have the same issues. There are many variables in a straight razor shave. It takes time!

I will also say that Jim at Vintage is one of the best vendors I've ever dealt with, in any field. Really. He sells great stuff, and has bent over backwards to help me in the past.

Wow, I did not mean for this to get blown out of proportion. I never accused Jim of not selling razors honed by Lynn, I was just trying to pinpoint the exact problem, and of course it's my lack of experience. I even mentioned several times it might be my lack of experience. I didn't e-mail Jim about the issue as I wanted to make absolutely sure it was my fault in this situation instead of hassling everyone and having to ship the razor back and forth for apparently no reason than my piece of mind, and reassuring me that I suck with a straight blade :lol:

Jim I had a fantastic experience with your store, your prices are more than fair, your shipping insanely fast (and free!), and I really appreciate your above and beyond attitude with your products and customers. I will definitely be ordering from you again in the future. If I've caused you or anyone else any trouble, I sincerely apologize.

And the tighter and tauter you can stretch your skin, the easier the razor can glide along.

---And don't nobody be saying nuthin bad about dem DAs!:cool:
:wink:

+ 10,000!

Except the part about the DA. Never used one so I can't comment.

No offense was taken by any post in this thread. The intent of my post was to just clarify for those who may not know our business, the care we take to ensure that the razor you receive is indeed "shave ready". In rereading it, the "tone" may come across a bit defensive. This can be such a tough medium.

I recently received a Dovo 5/8 Special in faux tortoise this is normal. This could be my inexperience talking though, so who knows.

Vintage is top notch but they are at the mercy of an outside vendor. They will always stive to make their customers happy. Where are you located? If you are close to me I would be happy to give you back a razor that was ready and able to shave a bear. Gratis of course!:biggrin: One has to assume that you are preping correctly because if you are not there is not a razor that will give you a good cut till about the 2ndpass.

I have had the same problem as you have had and it is just the way it is. I have never recieved a razor that was to my liking from someone that has honed it for me, if he did not shave with it and that is not a reasonable expectation from a vendor. My beard is tough, tough, tough! All that I ask from a honing job is that the bevel be set, I will do the rest but I may be to particular. I go Coticule, then 8k, then 16K stones then 0.5, 0.25 diamond then Chromium. I can not shave off an 8K no matter what. I personally think you need to get a razor that is not only shave ready but silly sharp and smooth. That is the only way that you can find out what this is all about.

Take Care,
Richard

Top Bottom