What's new

Looked at a S&W 10-6 today

I went to a gun show today. I haven't been to one in a while. I couldn't believe how packed it was, and prices were a bit hard to believe also. I ran across a table with private sales (not a dealer). He had a S&W 10-6 with 4" heavy barrel, manufactured in 1978. It was in very good condition, original grips, no scratches, and little ware on the bluing. I almost made an impulse buy like I normally do but the guy was packing up so I figured I could go back first thing in the morning if I decided I want it.

So what do I need to know about it? Is the heavy barrel common? Is it too heavy and not desirable? The use will probably range and nite stand on my wife's side.

I bought this NIB unfired heavy Model 10 a few years ago. I kept it awhile and then moved it along. I probably should have kept it.

$20160220_133501-2-1.jpg

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, you helped spend some more money 😉.

I had forgotten that I had to take my wife to the airport this morning so I didn't make it back to the gun show as soon as I wanted. When I got there, I went straight to the table where the gun was at yesterday and it was gone. I asked the guy if he had sold it and first he said yes then he said, well I actually decided to keep it. I talked with him for 5 or 10 minutes about some other stuff then walked off.

I started to leave but I had a pocket full of money so I decided to walk around a bit.
About 10 minutes later he came up to me and said he would let me have it if I still wanted it. We went back to his table, I looked it over again, handed him the money, shook his hand then I went home.

I made a mistake yesterday on the manufacturer date, it was made in 1976.

20220814_125925_resized.jpg

I wouldn't replace those grips. I would add a Tyler T grip.

Hmm, I've seen those somewhere before, probably at a gun show but I don't remember when or where. I didn't realize they were really a thing. I thought it was something homemade but when I did a search, it brought them up on ebay for about $115. It also brought up some alternatives that I may look into.

I went through the Police Academy with a Model 10. I was 18 years old. After starting work, I carried its .357 equivalent in stainless, the 65. Carried it for years and years until the Dept. made us change out to Glock because everyone else was doing it. The K frame revolver will always be my favorite shooting gun of all time. It looks great. Enjoy it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Wow, the price of T-grip adapters has at least doubled since I last bought any, but still cheaper than a nice pair of replacement grips. Plus, it's an iconic piece of gear often used with revolvers of that era, kinda goes together.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Congrats! To me, K-frames are the best.

The neat thing is that classic "magna" stocks, or whatever the smaller K-frame stock grip is called, was easily found at gun shows for like $10 in the 80s-90s, as everyone put the rubber Pachys on. What's old is new again! Love that grip.

Altamont makes a slight improvement on the comfy, smaller grip. I do have a couple sets.

AA

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You might want to look into putting some Pachymar's on it because of the value of those original grips.

I did it with that tiny model 63 of mine when I found out they had gone up to half of the price I paid the gun!

Of course, with prices today compared to 22 years ago they probably aren't worth as much?

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Though I always preferred the looks of pencil-barreled S&Ws, when I noticed minty heavy-barreled Model 10-10s from Victoria, AUS selling for $300, I snatched one up. The Chevy 350 c.i. small-block of revolvers (the pencil-barrel variant, being the 327 c.i. 😬), IMO no collection, nightstand, truck or tackle box is complete without a Model 10 … a decade later & it’s still a frequent companion at the gun club.

Review:

ModelYearModifications
101957Introduction
10-11959Heavy barrel introduced
10-21961Change extractor rod thread for standard barrel
10-31961Change extractor rod thread for heavy barrel, change front sight width from 1/10" to 1/8"
10-41962Eliminate trigger-guard screw on standard barrel frame
10-51962Change sight width from 1/10" to 1/8" on standard barrel
10-61962Eliminate trigger-guard screw on heavy-barrel frame
10-71977Change gas ring from yoke to cylinder for standard barrel
10-81977Change gas ring from yoke to cylinder for heavy barrel
10-91988Replace yoke retention system, radius stud package, floating hand hammer nose bushing for standard barrel
10-101988Replace yoke retention system, radius stud package, floating hand hammer nose bushing for heavy barrel
10-111997MIM hammer/trigger and floating firing pin for standard barrel and HB heavy barrel Model M10 Park police model.
10-121997MIM hammer/trigger + floating firing pin for heavy barrel
10-132002Limited production 1899 commemorative edition
10-142002Internal lock added
10-142010Discontinued
10-142012Reintroduced as part of the Classic Line

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Congrats! To me, K-frames are the best.

The neat thing is that classic "magna" stocks, or whatever the smaller K-frame stock grip is called, was easily found at gun shows for like $10 in the 80s-90s, as everyone put the rubber Pachys on. What's old is new again! Love that grip.

Altamont makes a slight improvement on the comfy, smaller grip. I do have a couple sets.

AA
If I get a wheel gun, it will be a K frame.

Top Bottom