What's new

My Shaving Brush Ranking

I shared this with David aka @dmshaver and Dan aka @Hannah's Dad , Dan suggested I post it so here it is:

Non-Gelled:

1). Morris & Forndran Finest, no contest
2). Shavemac 2 Band, Silvertip, great knot a little more face feel

Gelled/Non-Gelled of knots I have tried/own:

1). Varlet (very slightly gelled) do not own one, Yet?
2). Declaration Grooming B14 (very slightly gelled)
3). Morris & Forndran (not gelled)
3). Simpsons Chubby 2, 2 Band Silvertip, (not gelled) do not currently own one. Would go Duke 3 for the handle size
4). Mozingo ZT3 (Slightly gelled)
4). Leonidam HD (Gelled not real heavy, but is a little stiff when dried until you brush hand over knot).
5). Shavemac 2 Band, Silvertip (not gelled) 28mm Fan set at correct height, will probably get another one from Rudy
6). Elite Razor 26mm Manchurian Fan (pretty good buy for the cost)

Synthetic:

1). @Graydog w/ Muhle 25mm STF knot

Have tried a lot of synthetic knots this is the best

Probably the only one I will add for sure would be a Rudy Vey Shavemac 2 Band, Silvertip

Would love a Varlet but do not think I would be able to justify the cost compared to other great knots.

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday.

Please add any input you have on your experience with various knots 🪢

Doug

Thanks for the write-up, Doug. The #1 in my den now is the Varlet. I liked it so much, I immediately commissioned a second one after trying it. I still can’t believe that I’m paying so much for these brushes.

The current #2 slot is my Declaration Grooming B14.

I don’t think I can really rank the others, but the ones that still make the cut for me are:
  • Simpson Duke 3 Manchurian
  • Shavemac Beagle 2-Band Silvertip
  • Rudy Vey/Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip
  • Simpson Chubby 2 Super
  • Simpson Duke 3 Best
I have a Mozingo ZT3 on the way from Dan, and I’m looking forward to trying it out and seeing how it compares to the others.

-Trey

BTW, I have often been tempted by the Morris & Forndran brushes. The general opinion seems mixed on whether Lee’s current knots are as good as the Rooney knots. Have you tried a Blonde Badger knot, Doug?

Those Brad Sears handles are stunning.

BTW, I have often been tempted by the Morris & Forndran brushes. The general opinion seems mixed on whether Lee’s current knots are as good as the Rooney knots. Have you tried a Blonde Badger knot, Doug?

Those Brad Sears handles are stunning.
I have not tried the blonde badger, from what I was told before ordering was that Finest wold be what I would like, and it is, In fact right now you can order a Finest then on your order substitute Blonde Badger.

May do that at some point, I was thinking about the Chalice shape in the true blood acrylic, I think that would be stunning.

Doug

I had a Duke3 Manchurian it had to much face feel for me, you also would love the
2 band Silvertip, almost as much backbone as the Manchurian but much softer tips.
I’m thinking the same thing. I still need to try Simpson 2-band Silvertip. I expect I may like it more than the Manchurian.

I'm assuming you guys are more collectors? I thought I had some decent brushes but Varlet??? Holy smokes. I'll turn around now. ;)
Funny, I don’t consider myself a collector. I’m just putting together a small set of high performing brushes. Ultimately, I expect I’ll have 6-10. I need to sell some of my brushes.

Are you ranking for face feel? Or for the lather generated? Do you find that different soap bases make different brushes excel?
It’s really an overall ranking for me, but as a face latherer, face feel counts a lot for me. All the brushes I listed are great at generating lather, although the larger knots tend to be lather hogs. The 2-bands and the Manchurian probably generate lather a little easier because of their stiff backbone.

I have a collection of about 15 brushes including badger, boar, horsehair, and synthetic.

My favorite brush is a Saville Row 24mm. One day I hope to add a 26mm. Shavemac produces the brushes for Saville Row.

I also have a Maggard Super High Density brush that has gel tips. I got a 28mm brush, but the SHD knot blooms so much after contact with water that I wish I had gotten a smaller knot. Something between 24-26mm would be perfect for me.

My favorite boar is an Omega 10098 that I broke in the tips using hot water. It is super soft, yet has lots of backbone. It is superb for lathering hard soaps.

My favorite synthetic is the 26 mm Alexander Simpson Trafalger T3. I found the T2 to be a little too small for my liking

I have a collection of about 15 brushes including badger, boar, horsehair, and synthetic.

My favorite brush is a Saville Row 24mm. One day I hope to add a 26mm. Shavemac produces the brushes for Saville Row.

I also have a Maggard Super High Density brush that has gel tips. I got a 28mm brush, but the SHD knot blooms so much after contact with water that I wish I had gotten a smaller knot. Something between 24-26mm would be perfect for me.

My favorite boar is an Omega 10098 that I broke in the tips using hot water. It is super soft, yet has lots of backbone. It is superb for lathering hard soaps.

My favorite synthetic is the 26 mm Alexander Simpson Trafalger T3. I found the T2 to be a little too small for my liking
Thanks for your input , that is great information to know.

Doug

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I shared this with David aka @dmshaver and Dan aka @Hannah's Dad , Dan suggested I post it so here it is:

Non-Gelled:

3). Simpsons Chubby 2, 2 Band Silvertip, (not gelled) do not currently own one. Would go Duke 3 for the handle size
4). Leonidam HD (Gelled not real heavy, but is a little stiff when dried until you brush hand over knot).
5). Shavemac 2 Band, Silvertip (not gelled) 28mm Fan set at correct height, will probably get another one from Rudy

Synthetic:

Probably the only one I will add for sure would be a Rudy Vey Shavemac 2 Band, Silvertip

Would love a Varlet but do not think I would be able to justify the cost compared to other great knots.

Doug
Doug, what is your ratio of face lathering to bowl lathering?

Non-Gelled:

Synthetic:

Doug

Great comparison!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

My personal preference is smaller/mid-sized badgers. That said, I agree with your preference for Shavemac knots (especially their 2-band) and Simpsons!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I haven't put in the time or money many of you have in brushes. I'm also a newbie who is really just determining his likes and dislikes.

With those qualifiers, here is my very limited collection of badger brushes.

1. SV Manchurian brushes. I have 4 of them.... one purchased used from @SgtCrppls. That one is fully broken in and is spectacular. I'm rotating the other three and they are developing quite nicely, thankfully.
2. Zenith M23 Manchurian with the 506 copper handle. For roughly half the price of the SV brushes, it holds its own.
3. Elite Razor Manchurian with a Bloody Basin Jasper handle. I've only used it a couple times. The knot feels a bit too soft for me, perhaps because the other Manchurians I have have a bit more backbone.

Honorable mention: The Semogue Owner's Club Mistura brushes. They are very inexpensive and readily available so I'm taking the two I own with us for our month long trip. They just edged out any of the fine synths I have.

The badgers:
All the BadgersResize.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use only Simpson and Semogue brushes and have no interest in trying other brands. This is my current line up and I doubt I will add to it any time soon:

20220314_163541.jpg

Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic Badger, this is an early Chubby lofted at 54mm compared to the current 50mm Synthetic Bristle. Chubby 1, Chubby 2, TSN M6, Duke 3 Manchurian, Wee Scot Best.

20220816_185405.jpg
Semogue Finest Limited Editions - TSN 2018, 2011, Foro Afeitado 2016, Foro Afeitado 2019.

Finally I have a Simpson Coates Fitzwilliam for when I want a bit of Pure prickle:

coates.jpg

I prefer a short lofted scrubby brush around 24mm which has no noticable gel qualities to the knot. The Chubby 2 is a bit large but adds variety, fortunately it is low lofted so the face feel is smaller than the size might suggest. The M6 does not get much love here due to an apparent glue bump but I love it. If I had to pick one brush then the Duke 3 wins 👍

Last edited:
Top Bottom