What's new

Was This Supposed To Happen?

I'm a relative newbie to DE shaving. I started out with a Merkur Classic (which I actually purchased many years ago, but never used) and I've been using it with my new soaps, creams, etc. with what I consider to be good, albeit novice-level, results.

I then tried using a vintage Gillette DE that I had also purchased many years ago from an antique store, but had never used, and I think I the like the Gillette more than the Merkur.

This wasn't supposed to happen, was it? Is there something wrong with me??

Yes, Billy, there is something wrong with you...an addiction of wet shaving. Many here prefer the old Gillettes to the new Merkur. I personally prefer the Merkur when I use a DE. No, nothing wrong, you are just determining your preferences.

Randy

The important thing here is that you found what you like and what works for you. Like Randy, I prefer the Merkurs but I have a 1953 Gillette superspeed that I can get a great shave with and is part of my rotation. Part of the enjoyment for me is trying different equipment to see what works best for me personally. There have been rave reviews on this forum and others of products that just didn't work for me at all. Now, what brush is going to work best for you?:biggrin:

Jerry

Interesting as last week I used a Gillette superspeed from the late 40s and couldn't get a close shave compared to my Merkur HD Classic. I used it all week and still have spots of stubble where my Merkur always gets them. So, today I was back on the Merkur wagon and clean as a whistle. Guess I just have to try those other three DEs I got in the lot...

I have a selection of "old" Gillettes and a selection of new Merkurs. Personally I find that I get acceptable shaves with the Gillettes....and great shaves with the Merkurs. May be something to do with the different blade exposures.

Regards
Brian

Billyjeff,

What kind of Gillette are you using? I have a a Gillette adjustable that makes it into my rotation which I really enjoy. It isn't as easy to get a great shave with it as some of my other razors, however, there is something I find truly classy about this razor.

Kyle

R

rainman

Yes. To each their own. Offcourse, gillette has far more head/handle varieties and are generally much less expensive and hold their value. The Merkur safety bar is designed to wipe of the shaving cream before the blade swipes over your face. Maybe that is why you prefer the Gillette shave.

I have a Merkur 38C and several different Gillettes. I get my best shaves with the Barberpole, but I have the most fun with the Gillettes. I just use whichever I feel like on any given day.

Just enjoy it and don't worry about it.

:batman:

I love my merkurs but recently have had a bout of RAD and have acquired several gillettes which i am finding I also love.
I think it is possible to have many loves in our lifetime.:lol:

I'm a relative newbie to DE shaving. I started out with a Merkur Classic (which I actually purchased many years ago, but never used) and I've been using it with my new soaps, creams, etc. with what I consider to be good, albeit novice-level, results.

I then tried using a vintage Gillette DE that I had also purchased many years ago from an antique store, but had never used, and I think I the like the Gillette more than the Merkur.

Yes. You didn't start out with the Merkur Slant. :biggrin: Seriously, use whatever razors works best for you.

One thing I took to heart here was that you have to try A LOT of stuff to find your favorite.

Which is why I have so many razors..... yeah, thats it. :biggrin:

I have a Merkur 38C and several different Gillettes. I get my best shaves with the Barberpole, but I have the most fun with the Gillettes. I just use whichever I feel like on any given day.

Just enjoy it and don't worry about it.

:batman:

bada bing, bada boom!

marty

The important thing here is that you found what you like and what works for you. <snip> Part of the enjoyment for me is trying different equipment to see what works best for me personally. There have been rave reviews on this forum and others of products that just didn't work for me at all. Now, what brush is going to work best for you?:biggrin:

Jerry

I agree. I'll take the contrarian position to the majority here, in that I'm pro Gillette over Merkur. They just work better for me. Even more oddly, I've recently discovered that I've been getting my best shaves from a 60s Flair Tip, which doesn't often top the "favorite/best razor" polls. (Not that anyone thinks they're awful; they just don't top the list. Except for me!) So, relax, enjoy what works for you, and press on to that brush acquisition disorder Jerry mentioned. :biggrin:

Why wouldn't it? You should experiment. I love Merkur razors, but think that many of the old Gillettes yield a superior shave. Find what works for you, even if it means going through a bunch of razors. You can always resell the ones that did not work out.

Love the Merkur 38C & Love the Gillette Aristocrat as well as the 40's Super Speed.
Plenty O' love to go around :biggrin:

Top Bottom