What's new

How would you describe the smell of Old Spice?

There are certain splashes (B&M - Seville, Clubman, Proraso, Bay Rums, Floid Blue, Tabac) that I feel like I can give one a solid description on its scent. That said, Old Spice, a splash I love, I'm at a loss at how to describe it and its notes.

How would you describe the scent? The versions - Shulton, P&G - doesn't matter.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Basenotes says:

Screenshot_20220808-141031_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Old Spice is spicy and old. Smells like I imagine bubonic plague to be, when the buboes are bursting and the patient is close to death - sort of a sickly sweet smell with a sinister undertone. It’s pretty good. Inexpensive and widely available, so worth a blind buy. Or I’m sure you can find it in your local supermarket or pharmacy, and have a sniff there.

Recommended.

Not easy to answer as there is a fair bit of vintage Old Spice around and the newer stuff. I usually use the old stuff as I have a pretty good stash. The newer stuff smells good too but I think there's more of a baby powder note to it. It's the only thing I've ever used that smells like Old Spice so if you haven't smelled it, get to your local pharmacy, Target, Walmart, or wherever and take a sniff. The chart posted above doesn't compute for me as I have no idea what some of those scents smell like! The problem with vintage is trying to have an olfactory memory that goes back decades. Mine doesn't. I don't know if the fragrance changes over time because a couple of my bottles are probably pushing 40-45 years old. I think it smells like it used to but who the hell knows?

exactly what it is :) old and spice the old being my memories and the spice well just that :)

I worked on boats a good chunk of my life and truly fit that lifestyle fits with the boat life and sea spray

59 so in the 80s for me cant remember how dif it was sadly ? wish I had known to buy ahead :)

am getting some seaforth spice today :) some say its kinda like old spice ? if I like the soap going to order the splash and see what I think

old spice is my #1 fav though if I could only have one and the price cant be beat I need to pick up the cologne in the spray top bottle next time !

not to into colognes yet but so far its creed aventus BUT that will change if I get into them more
I also love the spice bomb stuff big time spice and vanilla kinda things

I do think the modern version is dialed down, in a good way, and it has a faint powdery smell that I don't get from the Shulton version. The Shulton/older versions are a good bit stronger as well.

It's just such a unique fragrance. I love it and don't think you can go wrong with it. Unlike some others (Brut and Clubman, in my opinion), you can wear it anytime of the year.

I try the current version that is sold in Europe from time to time but it doesn’t make klick.

Old Spice sounds earthy/medicinal, sweet and pungent like an aged rum. What comes out of this bottle is anemic and artificial with a bit of talcum powder, orange? and a hint of cinnamon.

E8C4DACF-EA83-4555-834F-585C4F6CC4DC.jpeg

I prefer the Greek Lavish Care Exotic Spices even though it has no longevity to speak of.

4AEEFC4F-C16A-43FB-8902-9F54609E6BDC.jpeg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I try the current version that is sold in Europe from time to time but it doesn’t make klick.

Old Spice sounds earthy/medicinal, sweet and pungent like an aged rum. What comes out of this bottle is anemic and artificial with a bit of talcum powder, orange? and a hint of cinnamon.

View attachment 1501969

I prefer the Greek Lavish Care Exotic Spices even though it has no longevity to speak of.

View attachment 1501970

Ya'll have the coolest bottles over there! :)

The OS? Isn’t it the same everywhere?
No, it isn't. In Europe it is called Old Spice Original. Usually 100 ml in a white glass bottle (rarely 150ml). In North America it is called Old Spice Classic. Plastic bottle (125ml and 188 ml I think). Ingredients are quite different. The European has many more ingredients compared to the North American.

European Old Spice Original AS (made in Italy):
  • Alcohol Denat.,
  • Aqua,
  • Propylene Glycol,
  • Parfum,
  • Benzyl Alcohol,
  • Linalool,
  • Limonene,
  • Eugenol,
  • Geraniol,
  • Citronellol,
  • Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone,
  • Cinnamyl Alcohol,
  • Citral,
  • Benzyl Benzoate
North American Old Spice Classic AS:

Alcohol Denat, Water/Eau, Fragrance/Parfum, Propylene Glycol, Benzyl Alcohol.

And I have seen one made in Canada that adds castor oil besides those 5 ingredients.

Last edited:
Top Bottom