What's new

Dedicated bowls for specific soaps and creams?

I have a cream which I like to bowl lather.

It's been over a decade since I last used a shaving soap and that was Williams. So I just bought 4 shave soaps at Pasteur's: Ogallala Bay Rum, Stirling Bay Rum, Mike's Natural Soaps Coconut and Mitchell Wool Fat. Stirling and Mike's each came with a bowl. Mitchell Wool Fat was a puck / refill and I put it in a TOBS bowl. That leaves Ogallala Bay Rum which is a puck. That leaves me with only one vacant bowl. If I put the Ogallala puck in it, I won't have a bowl available for the DSC cream.

What to do? I know, buy another bowl. Is it necessary to actually install the Oballala soap in the bowl?

Attachments

• DSC_8041__1.jpg
    DSC_8041__1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Nope. You can hold it in your hand and use a brush to lather or use the puck as a shave stick and rub it on your beard and then face lather with a brush. Let it dry out in a soap dish. If you're concerned about losing scent, after it has dried out, stick it in a tupperware container or zip-lock bag.

I don't think you need a Bowl for Ogallala as the lather disappears as soon as you apply the lather. :w00t:
A two buck stainless steel bowl at Walmart will work just fine for lathering. Doggie water bowl. :w00t:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a cream which I like to bowl lather.

It's been over a decade since I last used a shaving soap and that was Williams. So I just bought 4 shave soaps at Pasteur's: Ogallala Bay Rum, Stirling Bay Rum, Mike's Natural Soaps Coconut and Mitchell Wool Fat. Stirling and Mike's each came with a bowl. Mitchell Wool Fat was a puck / refill and I put it in a TOBS bowl. That leaves Ogallala Bay Rum which is a puck. That leaves me with only one vacant bowl. If I put the Ogallala puck in it, I won't have a bowl available for the DSC cream.

What to do? I know, buy another bowl. Is it necessary to actually install the Oballala soap in the bowl?
You just need one bowl and just cut some slivers off the Ogallala or MWF or what ever other soap or cream and just press some in the bottom of the bowl and that's all I do for last 5 years and have used lots of different soaps. I usually put in enough for 2 lathering's and then use the next soap in rotation.
Easy to clean and takes less space in the cupboards with just one bowl.

Other than a couple soaps I often lather in their own container (really, more loading the brush for face lathering), I use one bowl to build a lather, an old oversized latte cup. I have a couple other bowls but they've become decorative items. Collecting bowls is of no interest to me (unlike razors, brushes, and software).

I currently use my one and only soap with my Q Shave scuttle.

I can go back to my Fine Stoneware bowl, or my WCS plastic bowl if I wanted to.

You just need one bowl and just cut some slivers off the Ogallala or MWF or what ever other soap or cream and just press some in the bottom of the bowl and that's all I do for last 5 years and have used lots of different soaps. I usually put in enough for 2 lathering's and then use the next soap in rotation.
Easy to clean and takes less space in the cupboards with just one bowl.
This is brilliant. Thank you.

At the moment I 100% prefer bowl lathering, and transferring to the bowl. (I'm aware that preferences may change.) After learning how the puck inserts itself so thoroughly into the bowl I've been sticking to soaps that come in their own bowl with a lid like Proraso's. This tip opens the door to trying all different kinds of soaps.

Thank/curse you very much. :p

I have used pucks that don't come in a bowl (such as sv 4.3) in the following way. Place on dry folded wash cloth, hold wash cloth (with soap on top) in hand, load brush, lather as you prefer (bowl or face), let soap dry on wash cloth for next use. I like it better than inserting the puck in a bowl that traps water underneath and leads to faster use of soap.

Bought a few Sterling soap samples a little over a month ago. The 3D printer was gathering dust, so found an awesome print for low profile bowls on Thingiverse. Man, these things are sweet if you get the chance to create them. Nice to transfer over to a lather bowl.

Top Bottom