What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Pre: shower plus Sanex BioMe
Razor: unknown bakelite slant (1935)
Blade: Nacet
Soap: La Toja cream
Brush: Prorasso Porky

Rate: 10

Had to order Old Spice Whitewater. Been using that splendid AS lotion in abuncance. How I love that crisp, sharp sting. One of the benefits of using very aggressive DE razors is I get rewarded with that skin torture almost every shave.

This unknown bakelite vintage slant delivers an incredibly close shave. And it's comfortable too. It looks rather crude: just a straight handle and a crooked head. No torsion in the head design, nothing special. But I'd shave side to side with any fancy slant and this tough old razor would show simplicity rules.

On the Nacet: about a year ago, I used it for the first time. Must have been paired in a razor that doesn't like this Russian Gillette, because I thought it tugged. I now understand why it is praised by many, though. Very, very good blade in this slant.
That prooves two things: I tend to jump to conclusions and a seemingly perfect blade is often less than perfect in another razor.

The La Toja cream is a joy to use. Keep it wet for maximum glide. I cannot use it every shave, because it gives me some very small bumps above my ears sometimes. But it's cheap and I dare say a top of the list soap.

A1E78CAD-616B-4EF7-B3B5-A98DFB6793E6.jpeg

05 August 2022

GRUME-AUG-05
1659699086600.jpeg

Prep
Old Spice Bar soap
Razor
King C. Gillette
Brush
Omega---11126
Soap
Noble Otter’s--Lonestar scent
Bowl
Q Shave Scuttle
Blade
Shark Yellow Super Stainless 6 of 10 Shave #6 and out
Passes
WTG, XTG, f/b buffing as required
Cleanup
Rinsed & dried face f/b Witch Haze f/b Omega Alum stick
Aftershave
Old Spice
Rating(s)
9.2 CAS
Today
Moderate stubble, but no nicks or weepers.
Comment(s)
A ‘tired’ blade gave an 'acceptable' shave this morning, but I had to do a lot of post XTG buffing to get my face smoothed out. So, I will start tomorrow with a fresh blade.

Fri 5 SOTD
Soap Stirling Black Cherry
Brush Yaqi 28mm Tuxedo
Razor RazoRock G37 Slant
Blade Shark Super Stainless 4th
Aftershave Spice Original Splash
The lather qualities from the soap are just impeccable...the scent is nice albeit light. Matched well with the splash.
This shave with the blade in the razor was not so good. Not so smooth and efficient. Managed 3passes without issues for a sas result. The blade will be ditched. Rating 9/10
View attachment 1499574
That Sterling Black Cherry sounds inviting for sure. How do you like it Chard?

05 August 2022

GRUME-AUG-05
View attachment 1499641

Prep
Old Spice Bar soap
Razor
King C. Gillette
Brush
Omega---11126
Soap
Noble Otter’s--Lonestar scent
Bowl
Q Shave Scuttle
Blade
Shark Yellow Super Stainless 6 of 10 Shave #6 and out
Passes
WTG, XTG, f/b buffing as required
Cleanup
Rinsed & dried face f/b Witch Haze f/b Omega Alum stick
Aftershave
Old Spice
Rating(s)
9.2 CAS
Today
Moderate stubble, but no nicks or weepers.
Comment(s)
A ‘tired’ blade gave an 'acceptable' shave this morning, but I had to do a lot of post XTG buffing to get my face smoothed out. So, I will start tomorrow with a fresh blade.
6 shaves is indeed a tired number….Good job!

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Liquid Bath Soap, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Aluminum Overlander
Blade: Personna Platinum (3)
Soap/Cream: Stirling Baker Street
Bowl: Georgetown Pottery Travel Shave Bowl
Brush: APSC Rainbow Stripe Handle 26mm SynBad Knot
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Stirling Executive Man EDT
Rating: 10/10 Three pass BBS shave with one touch up. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Excellent efficient shave. Again a great lather, good cushion during shave and excellent residual slickness.

As I failed to learn my lesson from the debacle with the AS-D2 a few weeks ago I thought it would be a great idea to give the Kai blade the opportunity to ruin another mild razor.

I made a slightly thicker than usual lather with TOBS Sandlewood cream and performed three passes with the new Kai blade in my Hybrid Tech. Miraculously I ended up with a bloodless and drama-free DFS.

I had to reach for my Ikon B1 Standard once more to get BBS on my neck, but with that I'd rate the shave as a 10.

20220805_153338.jpg

• Timeless Ti .95mm scalloped bar with smooth cap and polished.
• Sterling Electric Sheep.
• Nacet blade (2).
• Omega boar.
• Witch Hazel splash.
• Jack Black cooling aftershave gel.
• Proraso green.

Reached for my Timeless Ti .95mm scalloped bar with smooth cap and polished. A very mild shave which I barely felt my whiskers being removed from a day and a half growth. The Nacet performed to perfection on shave two.
The Electric Sheep creates a very nice lather with plenty of moisture for a smooth shave. I really enjoy The cooling gel as well. Overall a very nice shave for a score of 10. Now let’s get this Friday started!!’

Attachments

• 1D5B1647-2153-4BDF-8466-013C34005A34.jpeg
    1D5B1647-2153-4BDF-8466-013C34005A34.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • FB3CEA9D-1EC5-4266-BCEE-3A879CC0AC0F.jpeg
    FB3CEA9D-1EC5-4266-BCEE-3A879CC0AC0F.jpeg
    864.9 KB · Views: 10

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD ,Friday, August 5th, 2022

Razor : Yaqi V2 Excalibur, MFG 2021> great tame mid range, interesting clamping with a small head design, very enjoyable to handle and results are usually stellar for myself. The Chrome head design model is accurate and well built IMO.
Blade : Schick proline P30(5) sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity for a AC blade.
Soap : Razorock "The Dead Sea" unique tranquilizing scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi Atlantis 24 mm synthetic- excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrub, excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock "The Dead Sea" with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: excellent shave with my Yaqi V2 Excalibur with a Schick P30 50 mm blade.
SOTD August 5 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

August 5, 2022

Razor: Razorock Game Changer .85-P
Blade: Gillette Nacet (5th Use)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T1
Pre-Shave: Warm shower, Musgo Real Lime Soap
Soap / Cream: Cremo Coconut/Mango Shave Stick
Aftershave: Warm followed by a cold water rinse; Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel, AofS Eucalyptus AS Balm; Gillette CoolWave AS Splash

Really getting the GC dialed in for smooth, close shaves. It pairs well with the Nacet blade too.

Going on vacation next week, so was preparing by using my travel brush.

9/10

Happy Friday!

@BigJ - 30 shaves-wow!!!

Friday, August 5th- ARKO/Boarko on the down low (shave #4)- a two-pass shave, one tiny weeper that closed quickly, I'll score it DFS, 9/10:

Razor: Gillette Slim set on 5- picked this very used razor up for $10 in Brooklyn and it shaves fine; can't remember how long it's been since I used a Slim
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum (4)- still okay
Lather: ARKO stick- nice enough lather
Brush: Zenith 506 unbleached- I've been breaking it in and after a couple of weeks this brush is almost as nice as my Omega Jade in use; wonder how long it will stay that way?
Post: rinse, then Anthony's ASB, my face is nice and soothed by this slightly mentholated balm

Have yourselves a great weekend!

PXL_20220805_165021099.MP_2.jpg

Top Bottom