What's new

Should i switch to DE again?

A few years back i got involved with DE razors etc but i sort of stopped and now just use gillette blue 2 disposables along with shaving soap and badger brush, i can't stand canned stuff. I get a close shave and hardly any irritation with one pass against the grain, however i would still like it to be closer, i have a bit of 5 o clock shadow afterwards. I sold most of my double edged razors, i still have a schick injector and GEM micromatic but im willing to start again. Has anyone here went from cartridges to DE/SE/Straight and got a considerably closer shave?

Thanks

IMO, If you still have a Schick, I'd pick up some new blades and just go with that. A Schick gives a great shave too. After you master it (it's not very hard to get along with a Schick) as with any razor, you can do a 3 pass shave with the injector and get a great shave.
It's up to you but there is nothing wrong with a Schick Shave!

You will probably not get a closer shave until you develop good technique. I see plenty of posts online from people bailing out of DE shaving because they didn't get the results they expected after just a few shaves.

It takes time and patience. But the rewards are great.

I used a Hydro 5 before I switched to DE razors. That cart works quite well for me, except for 3 things: It's expensive (relatively speaking), it clogs between the blades, and it tends to cause me ingrown hairs (I thought it was acne). The first two things (high price and clogging) is what got me curious about DE razors. After I switched to DE I found out a few things: 1) There's a learning curve but it's not that difficult, 2) proper preparation is probably the most important part of an irritation-free shave, and 3) Using different DE razors and blades is an enjoyable pastime.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I used the Gillette Sensor and the Sensor Excel for 20 years or so. Switched to DE a little over a year and a half ago. One of the best decisions I ever made. I'm grateful to so many here at B & B for helping me on the journey. I don't miss the pricey carts or the clogging. I also didn't realize I could get a close shave on my neck until I switched to DE.

-Eric

As others said, patience is the key. If I need a quick acceptable shave my Trac II will do it while I shower. If I take my time with prep, a good shaving soap and don’t try to force the blade to cut (too much pressure), I can get a much closer shave and longer blade life. It took me awhile to dial in the technique, however. (I am currently shaving on a Feather blade with 63 uses, and get a DFS or BBS every time. But I also hone and strip it.)

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've only been wet shaving for 5 months so factor that in.

I left cartridges and got a Executive Shaving Company Claymore Evolution. Immediately, I got closer shaves than my Gillette Fusion Power. I actually liked the shaves I was getting with the Fusion until I started using an AC single edge razor. Typically, my shaves last for 10 to 12 hours before my course, old man, grey whiskers rear their ugly head. ;)

I just started experimenting with Vintage Gillette DE razors and so far, I'm loving the British Flat Bottom Tech that just showed up a few day ago.

So to answer your question: yes, you can get a closer shave and have more fun. Since you have experience already, you'll be back up to speed in no time.

A few years back i got involved with DE razors etc but i sort of stopped and now just use gillette blue 2 disposables along with shaving soap and badger brush, i can't stand canned stuff. I get a close shave and hardly any irritation with one pass against the grain, however i would still like it to be closer, i have a bit of 5 o clock shadow afterwards. I sold most of my double edged razors, i still have a schick injector and GEM micromatic but im willing to start again. Has anyone here went from cartridges to DE/SE/Straight and got a considerably closer shave?

Thanks

Nope, just changing razor won't make a big difference, IMHO!
Your disposable cartridge can give a great, close shave, as long as it's reasonably fresh and not clogged!
My suggestion is to take advice above and work on shave prep and technique!
Welcome to B&B and Enjoy the journey!!

proxy.php

My shave prep is ok but could probably use some improvement, i use proraso sensitive soap and a badger brush. Splash face with hot water a few times, lather up the brush, vigorously apply to my face, leave for a minute or two and then go against the grain with my gillette blue 2. They really are great little razors, i detest mach,fusion and all the rest of them, lubricating stripes i don't like either, leaves a layer of goo on your skin. I don't know if i should just be content with the quality of my shaves with the disposable, but as i said, if possible i would like to get a little closer.

Cheers

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I experimented with SR shaving 30 years ago, but wasn’t ready to commit. The whole experience was mostly unpleasant and lasted less than a month. Coming back a few years ago was a revelation. Close and comfortable shaves were achieved over time, but not immediately. I chose to commit with patience, armed with help from this forum and it has paid off for me. Excellent shaves and skin feels great, the SR has become the tool of choice now. Good luck trying to figure things out!

Thanks

One of the reasons that DE/SE and straight shavers get a better shave lies in their shave prep.
Your “splash face with hot water a few times” technique is not much of a pre-shave routine, but as you use shaving brush and shaving soap/cream already, giving your face a little more time to absorb some water, maybe with some (glycerine) soap, to soften the whiskers may help. The pre-shave does not have to be elaborate, but it is essential that the facial skin has a few moments to soak up some water.

Another reason for DE/SE/straight shavers having better shaves lies in the way we shave.
To get the close and comfortable results that most of us are after you would have to abandon one-pass shaves.
A one-pass shave and BBS shave are just not compatible.

You would need to raise your ante and do at least a two-pass shave, plus touch-up on the corners of your yawline.
With the right safety razor (positive blade exposure) you could even mimic the results close to a straight shave.

But then again, I believe that with a good cartridge razor, you could mimic the results of a good safety razor shave, if you are willing to abandon your one-pass routine, even if some on this forum may disagree with me.
The catch is that cartridge razors try to emulate a traditional multi-pass shave by having multiple blades, but you are still dragging that thing in a single pass and in the same direction across your face. There is a risk that you could give yourself skin irritation with a multiple pass cartridge razor shave. That is the reason why DE/SE/straight shavers harp about “comfortable” shaves.

There is obviously a reason that you abandoned safety razor shaves in the first place. If it was the number of passes and you don’t want to change, then a saftey razor will not give you any better shaves.

To summarize, what will give you better results is a) an improved pre-shave routine and b) shave with multiple passes. You could first try with a good cartridge razor and then, if you are so inclined, move from there to a safety razor, but I am confident that you will already see improvements with the cartridge razor.

B.

Last edited:
The catch is that cartridge razors try to emulate a traditional multi-pass shave by having multiple blades.
The real catch is the cost of buying 5-blade razor cartridges. It’s insane what these cost now.

Very good advice, though, about the importance of properly soaking your stubble before lathering and shaving. Makes more difference than anything. Would improve cartridge shaving as well.

Then taking the time to make a good, hydrated lather is very important too.

As for the shaving, I think the biggest adjustment when going from a cartridge razor to a DE is that the DE does not have a pivoting head, so you have to learn to shave with the correct angle - that’s not difficult, it’s just practice. Second is probably learning not to apply pressure - it is counter productive and only causes irritation, and it’s more critical with a DE razor (cartridges have guards and pivoting head, which reduce the effect of too much pressure). The razor will cut better if you don’t use any pressure, because your skin will be flatter. And even if you think you aren’t applying pressure, you definitely are. So use no pressure at all, then less, then really concentrate on using much less than that.

In the end you will get more enjoyable, closer, and more comfortable shaves than you’ve had.

Welcome to B&B.
I don't know if i should just be content with the quality of my shaves with the disposable, but as i said, if possible i would like to get a little closer.
The DE razor will get you closer with good technique and a multi-pass shave; generally 3 passes to achive a very close and smooth shave. Give it a try.
I noticed a difference when I switched from cartridges to the DE razor.

I would NEVER go in that direction, due to the outrageous pricing of carts.
I would stick with the Schick even though, IMHO, injector blades are a little costly.
Canned soap....well that's an entirely different discussion.

Top Bottom