What's new

A possibly unpopular take on Techs

I love the flat head of the Tech (excellent maneuverability), but they lack a bit of efficiency for me. A sharp blade and a shim or two can do the trick, though. That's why I keep my Techs 😀

Besides, if I was blindfolded I hardly could tell the triangle slot pre war / post war Techs apart. I'm referring to the regular ones, the fancy RFB/Hybrid Techs are still a white spot on a my razor exploring map.
Perhaps the pre war Tech is more efficient, by a hair maybe, but I'm not even sure.

Last edited:
I only have a handful of razors most of them Techs UK, US, Canada. There is enough variation to make the breed interesting but I find a (pre-zamack) Ball End Tech the default razor for daily shaves.

I love reading about bottom feeding Timeless scratch and dents or getting on the list for a Wolfman. Maybe one day I'll get there. For now everyday I get as good a shave as I expect which cost about a sawbuck delivered to my door. Also it was made the same year and quarter I said 'hello world'. Weird but still find it interesting.

Last edited:
My Early Tech Shave Off

I decided to pit my early Pre and Post War (pre date code) Techs against each other to see which works best for me. I tried to make the contest as equal as possible: the two entries were both fat handled versions. Everything else was equal: same prep, brush, soap, and blade. I tested the post war first, then the pre war, then the post war again to make sure both razors were compared with the other with an older blade. My conclusion:

The Prewar Tech was more aggressive, but less effective.

More Aggressive. I could definitely feel the blade sticking out more, but it seemed too steep, like it was at the wrong angle. I felt like I was shaving with one of those paint scrapers with a single edged razor blade.
Less Effective
I had more cuts, my skin was more irritated, and the area under my lip was stubbly, after extra passes. I did get a close shave on my chin, but at a cost. Overall it was an unsatisfactory experience.

PostWar Tech
This razor, even with more mileage on the blade, was a much more pleasant experience. Less irritation and a closer shave under the lip. As an additional test, I got out my previously untested skinny ball handled early Post War Tech, and got an even better shave than the other PostWar, and that was with an extra day on the blade!

Possible Variables Along with the usual YMMV subjective considerations and possible individual unique older razor flaws, there are the following possible issues:

* Old Blade. This feather blade had 3 weeks on it, a newer blade may yield different results. (But I am looking for performance with older blades, so this works for me.)

*Top Cap. My Prewar has damaged threads, so I had to use the cap from my Postwar. My measurements with calipers indicated that they were exactly the same, but there still might be an undetectable difference.

I may try the Prewar again with a fresher blade a bonified Prewar Top cap, but otherwise I don’t plan to use it in my regular rotation.

Attachments

• 88EF15E7-F103-4BEA-92B8-1F47C9C4D5A0.jpeg
    88EF15E7-F103-4BEA-92B8-1F47C9C4D5A0.jpeg
    862.6 KB · Views: 31
  • F09C6842-9944-49DE-9A90-C1FA19F38D09.jpeg
    F09C6842-9944-49DE-9A90-C1FA19F38D09.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I only have a handful of razors most of them Techs UK, US, Canada. There is enough variation to make the breed interesting but I find a (pre-zamack) Ball End Tech the default razor for daily shaves.

I love reading about bottom feeding Timeless scratch and dents or getting on the list for a Wolfman. Maybe one day I'll get there. For now everyday I get as good a shave as I expect which cost about a sawbuck delivered to my door. Also it was made the same year and quarter I said 'hello world'. Weird but still find it interesting.
I have been through all aspects of wet shaving. Owned multiple super high end DE razors, and highly desirable fancy-pants vintage razors. SE’s and straights too. But I still love shaving with a Tech. It is the quintessential every-man’s razor. The perfection of the mass produced razor. The simplest format of the the double edge razor. And it’s okay that it’s not the most aggressive or efficient razor. It was never meant to be. It was meant to be available to every man, for the price of some loose pocket change… or free with a pack of blades. And as such it was designed to split the populace right down the middle so that everyone could shave comfortably with a Tech. It’s the perfect example of shaving in the 1940’s and 50’s.

My Early Tech Shave Off

I decided to pit my early Pre and Post War (pre date code) Techs against each other to see which works best for me. I tried to make the contest as equal as possible: the two entries were both fat handled versions. Everything else was equal: same prep, brush, soap, and blade. I tested the post war first, then the pre war, then the post war again to make sure both razors were compared with the other with an older blade. My conclusion:

The Prewar Tech was more aggressive, but less effective.

More Aggressive. I could definitely feel the blade sticking out more, but it seemed too steep, like it was at the wrong angle. I felt like I was shaving with one of those paint scrapers with a single edged razor blade.
Less Effective
I had more cuts, my skin was more irritated, and the area under my lip was stubbly, after extra passes. I did get a close shave on my chin, but at a cost. Overall it was an unsatisfactory experience.

PostWar Tech
This razor, even with more mileage on the blade, was a much more pleasant experience. Less irritation and a closer shave under the lip. As an additional test, I got out my previously untested skinny ball handled early Post War Tech, and got an even better shave than the other PostWar, and that was with an extra day on the blade!

Possible Variables Along with the usual YMMV subjective considerations and possible individual unique older razor flaws, there are the following possible issues:

* Old Blade. This feather blade had 3 weeks on it, a newer blade may yield different results. (But I am looking for performance with older blades, so this works for me.)

*Top Cap. My Prewar has damaged threads, so I had to use the cap from my Postwar. My measurements with calipers indicated that they were exactly the same, but there still might be an undetectable difference.

I may try the Prewar again with a fresher blade a bonified Prewar Top cap, but otherwise I don’t plan to use it in my regular rotation.
I went back and invested the baseplates of the two techs since they are the primary differences, and therefore the main factors in aggressive vs. mild. I noted that the triangular drain holes of the prewar push back the point of contact of the blade with the baseplate. This results in a lot deeper space under the blade, giving more blade exposure at the baseplate.
I have also noticed since posting my comparison of razors that on a well used blade, I always get a closer shave with less irritation on a milder razor. I can use a more aggressive razor up to a point, then it is no longer effective for me.

Attachments

• 691519BB-E018-4214-A4F9-F14D79624307.jpeg
    691519BB-E018-4214-A4F9-F14D79624307.jpeg
    728.4 KB · Views: 16
The common complaint I hear about the Gillette Tech razor is that it's too mild if one has tough whiskers.

I'm thinking out loud now, but I wonder . . . I wonder if the efficiency of the Tech would be seriously improved if one increased the pressure against the face (typically a no-no) AND used a slower stroke?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just had my first Tech shave yesterday, with a British Flat Bottom. It wasn’t as efficient as my Claymore Evolution but I suspect the Claymore Evolution has been covering up my poor technique,

I got a nice end result but I’ll have to step up my skill level to get the most out of it.

I’ll add a NEW flat bottom eventually and that should be it for my short detour into Vintage Gillette razors.

I think I’ll most likely explore other selective DE razors as time goes on.

The common complaint I hear about the Gillette Tech razor is that it's too mild if one has tough whiskers.

I'm thinking out loud now, but I wonder . . . I wonder if the efficiency of the Tech would be seriously improved if one increased the pressure against the face (typically a no-no) AND used a slower stroke?
I have average whiskers. Something to consider.

I have two ball end Techs and a flat bottom Tech which I suppose is from the mid 40's. My gold ball end has no date code and the silver one is from the 60's and has Gillette marked on the top plate. The ball ends give me better shaves in that they are milder than the flat bottom. A few years ago, I finally bought the Feather AS-D2 as Feathers are the blades I use most often. It gives me a better shave than the Techs but the Techs are smaller and I can get into and under the more angular areas of my face. I own other vintage Gillettes and an EJ DE89 (which I don't care much for). The two ball ends and the AS-D2 truly cover all my shaving needs and I would hate to be without both models. The flat bottom I could do without.

I recently discovered the Tech experience and have been using it as my daily shaver for the last two weeks.
I always dismissed it because it looked like it would be too mild with virtually no blade gap.
I’m glad I finally tried it. Yes, it’s very mild, but deceptively so. It’s so smooth and virtually impossible to nick yourself with, yet leaves a really nice close shave with a little practice.
That thin head gets everything under the nose and other hard to reach areas.
It may be the mild smoothness that allows me to get consistently better shaves than a more aggressive razor because I’m not backing off like I might normally be. A fresh blade needs no break-in period…the sharper the better.
All in all, a very pleasant and satisfying shave from such a ridiculously small, light, simple razor.
EECEAB44-CFCF-4763-BCB4-A3E3CEBC7ADC.jpeg

I have two ball end Techs and a flat bottom Tech which I suppose is from the mid 40's. My gold ball end has no date code and the silver one is from the 60's and has Gillette marked on the top plate. The ball ends give me better shaves in that they are milder than the flat bottom. A few years ago, I finally bought the Feather AS-D2 as Feathers are the blades I use most often. It gives me a better shave than the Techs but the Techs are smaller and I can get into and under the more angular areas of my face. I own other vintage Gillettes and an EJ DE89 (which I don't care much for). The two ball ends and the AS-D2 truly cover all my shaving needs and I would hate to be without both models. The flat bottom I could do without.
The narrow profile was what first got me using the tech. I had been using a Parker Variant with a thick cap. I had difficulty going over the chin and jawline with it. Then I discovered my wife’s old Superspeed and noticed the difference with a narrower profile. After trying other vintage Gillettes (Old Type, New) I discovered the early postwar tech, and it’s now my main razor. I still use others when I break out a new blade (including a Krona), and the Gillette New is good up to a point. But in my rotation it’s hard to beat the Tech. If I only kept one DE razor it would win hands down.

My first true DE shave was with a zamac headed Tech from 1962 I believe and in my inexperience, I was still able to cut myself pretty good, had a patch of "razor rash" and got a lot of irritation -- I had no idea what I was doing after having come over from carts in the past and having shaved my beard after 8 years (tender skin). A lot of reading, a lot of patience and zero pressure and work on my technique and in short work I was getting less irritation, cuts and better shaves. I soon moved on to more and more efficient razors and while I have a pre war and several post war Techs and travel Techs, I don't reach for them very often. Not that they aren't great shavers, but alternating between DE/SE and now SR options, I tend to reach past the Techs for more "challenging" options--if I want an autopilot shave I'll reach for a 46 Aristocrat or Fat Boy but I should make an effort to revisit a Tech as the NEW SC shave (last used during OCtober) was almost as satisfying as Wednesday's New Improved shave.

I have more Techs than any other razor, and they all work great for close & smooth shaves. Nevertheless, lately I've been using a Special #175 Goodwill, a couple of New LC & SC's, and the results are just a touch better than the already excellent Techs.

As a bass player, for me, the Tech is the equivalent of the Fender Precision bass. Just that simple, classic thing that fits so many bills. Symbols of American engineering of the 20-th century.
Good analogy, and of course, as a fellow bass player, I have a Precision in my stable. A 1976 blonde-on-blonde, to be exact. Such a solid instrument and the tone is legendary.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Sorry folks, I am a died in the wool Canadian Pre-War Tech fan. Love that razor.

My Top 6 Techs:
England Tech/NEW Hybrid
Canada Pre-War
German #32
England Flat Bottom
Canada Post-War
England #24

The USA Pre-War and Post-War Techs are also great.

All of these Techs are wonderful razors. I enjoy shaving with all of them. :001_wub:

Top Bottom