What's new

What do friends & family think about your hobby?

What most people think is that I'm way crazier than they thought I was. When I tell my family or friends that I have to go to the post office, because a package has arrived and they usually respond like - ''oh let me guess, you've got yet another razor, right?''

I've tried to talk to some of my friends and family members at first, but they either don't care and don't want to listen or they pretend to be interested, because they don't want to be rude. I've managed to convert a couple of people, but mostly just to make them use shaving soaps, creams and brushes and they claim that they are much better compared to the caned goo.

When I talk to some folks about shaving with a safety or straight razor, they look at me like I'm trying to teach them how to wipe their buts in a much better way and it feels confusing as hell. I rarely bother telling people anything anymore related to shaving and just letting them do whatever the hell they want to do.

One thing I do agree with them is that this is indeed an odd hobbie and if someone told me 10 years ago that I will end up collecting vintage razors used by God knows how many people and enjoy it, I would have laughed and called the person insane.

My wife likes and supports my hobby, mainly because after the shave I am always in a good mood and I smell very good. She even told me she wished I started earlier and avoided sandpaper her delicate skin with my stubble... considering the money that goes into this absolutely a plus!
In all these years I managed to have only a single meaningful exchange with an acquaintance...and I do not see him often sob...

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My wife always gives me her honest opinion... especially when it comes to scents for soaps, creams and aftershaves. But beyond her...no one to share it with other than all of you.

Mrs. Raven is cool. Kids dig it, daughter bought me MWF in ceramic bowl, so she’s down. Only two buddies know this is a hobby for me, one is making me acrylic scales for a SR, the other I traded a pair of ski boots for a British Aristocrat Jr. Wins all around!
I would not only trade the boots, but also the ski for the Aristocrat. :lol:

They think I'm in a cult ... :001_tongu
Just in case you still haven't realised it. You are indeed in a cult. And there is no way out. :hand: We know where you live.

Yeah, nobody cares when I go on about it either. My Dad still sees shaving as a chore. The wife hates Clubman Pinaud and ignored the '68 Lady Gillette I got for her Bday, so I "shook the dust from my sandals" 😝and stopped talking about it with family.
Even the old timers at my shooting range who still use vintage Gillettes think collecting is weird.

The one thing everyone seems to dig tho', is my 1918 J-date "Property of US Army" Old Type and case. So there's hope.

Eben Stone

Staff member
My wife was the one that started it all by buying me a Van der Hagen Premium Shave Set.

Apparently there was no warning label on the box about acquisition disorders.

My Dad doesn't like that I use a straight razor. He's concerned I'll slice my neck open.

Not something I'm scared of, but I do prefer using straights with deep jimps and well balanced handle/blade.

My friends & family largely do not think about it, unless I bring it up, heh. My wife also likes it when I use Captain's Choice Bay Rum aftershave, and comments about it every time. That's about it.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My wife always gives me her honest opinion... especially when it comes to scents for soaps, creams and aftershaves. But beyond her...no one to share it with other than all of you.

You see...my wife decided I should put my collection in a place that was more visible and accessible. She organized all of this for me. She supports my collecting and is so good to me...my better half for certain. This accumulation took around six years....but...here it is! There are more soaps in the boxes on the very bottom. Razors, blades and brushes are in the bathroom along with a few other odds and ends. The colognes and aftershaves are...deeper than they look in the picture.

A_20220803_185821.jpg

My wife has bought me Grooming Dept soaps, ToBS aftershave, and 300 Perma-Sharp blades all in last 6 months. My partner in crime…I’ll count myself as extremely blessed. She is also my fishing buddy and a damn good cook; all the bases are covered.

Top Bottom