What's new

August 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in - Headshave today

Edwin Jagger DE89
Personna Red (7)
Yaqi Tuxedo 28mm
La Toja

IMG-4678_DSC_4678 (2).JPG

I’ll have to say, I admire all who are doing a head shave with a DE razor. I can’t imagine it. Well, actually I can, but it is in the same category as picturing myself using a Straight Razor on my face . 🫣 😲😰 My hat is off to you! 🤗🤭
You still have a safety bar or comb between you and the blade. If you use a design that is not prone to bite your face why not use it on your dome? Techs, the FOCS and the RR Eco work very well for me.

Would I use a Shavette? No, but only because I can’t shave my mug with it either :c1:

Tuesday August 2nd - Still in

View attachment 1498320

Yaqi Slant
Personna Red (6)
Shavemac Silvertip Bulb 22mm
La Toja Soap
La Toja Balm
@hopper_64 - I am learning about new blades and especially changing in their production. Bolzano’s come to mind and Personna’s as well. The one you used today, is that the Israeli Red or the German Red? And would you mind sharing your experiences with this blade?

Thanks,

Guido

SOTD #3
Soap/water ratio is getting dialed in rather nicely.
I have no complaints thus far relating to scent or performance.
Seems to me, it's very easy to lather and performs consistently; over the three shave history I have with Arko...
  • Truefitt's Pre-Shave Oil
  • ARKO (SOTM) (Arko August)
  • SOC Taj Mistura
  • Mühle R89
  • Voskhod (4) - Binned (GSB on deck)
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Captain's Choice Land Ho! Splash
  • No Post-Shave Balm
IMG_7928.JPG

August Shave 2/16

No of Arko Shave 2

Prep : Hot shower
Preshave : None
Brush : Maggard Synthetic
Soap : Arko Stick
Razor : Merkur HD 34 C
Blade : GSB (no clue 3/4 who knows)

Changed the brush better lather, just not much slickness after the pass ... plenty of alum block stinging

In, managed to get a good shave while dog tired (did a morning run, chores including splitting wood in the afternoon).
My favorite tech and Feather (62) gave me a BBS. A little blood, I attempted to get a rough spot under my lip by riding the baseplate, not my usual method. Knocked the tops off of two blemishes. Now I know!
Overall an enjoyable shave.

Day 3, 9.7% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Opuntia
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.68 SB, Al Handle, Nacet Stainless #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

You’re welcome and looking forward to your findings.

It turned out I had ordered Nacet Stainless, so there's no way they can be the elusive KCG, which is Platinum. Oops! Never mind, it's a new blade to test drive.

I used the mild Game Changer, just in case, but it was pretty good. Maybe a touch smoother than an Astra SP on shave #1, and got me a very comfortable DFS+. The SV Opuntia turned in a flawless performance as usual.

I'll transfer this blade to the .84 GC, and see what its lifespan is like.

It turned out I had ordered Nacet Stainless, so there's no way they can be the elusive KCG, which is Platinum. Oops! Never mind, it's a new blade to test drive.
I just learned that there are two versions of the Nacet!:eek2: I would have never known. Nor would I have noticed to be honest. But then those platinum blades sound pretty rare judging by the packaging.

Glad you still enjoyed them. I have Dorco blades that should be platinum but the blade itself simply says stainless. I have no way to tell if it is or not. Shaves good though.

Cheers,

Guido

Last edited:
I just learned that there are two versions of the Nacet!:eek2: I would have never known. Nor would I have noticed to be honest. But then those platinum blades sound pretty taste judging by the packaging.

Glad you still enjoyed them. I have Dorco blades that should be platinum but the blade itself simply says stainless. I have no way to tell if it is or not. Shaves good though.

Cheers,

Guido
Purple pack Nacet Stainless is the only version that is current production afaik.

There is a rather new Minora Stainless (yellow) around side by side with dwindling supplies of Minora Platinum (pink).

I'll transfer this blade to the .84 GC, and see what its lifespan is like.
Unconfirmed because I never saw a Nacet Platinum myself but I read somewhere that Nacet Platinum were rebranded Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black).

These 7 O'clock Super Platinum blades are very good performers and suits well with a lot of razors.

Even if Nacet Platinum were not rebranded Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum, I'll definitely recommend the Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum a try at least.

Let me know if you haven't already tried it yet, I'll send you a sampler.

Unconfirmed because I never saw a Nacet Platinum myself but I read somewhere that Nacet Platinum were rebranded Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black).

These 7 O'clock Super Platinum blades are very good performers and suits well with a lot of razors.

Even if Nacet Platinum were not rebranded Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum, I'll definitely recommend the Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum a try at least.

Let me know if you haven't already tried it yet, I'll send you a sampler.
Thanks for the additional info, Alec - really helpful . Those are from India right? The black ones?

Guido

Still in, effortless......
Last 2 shaves, ultra smooth:

Fatip picollo
Wizamet super irridium (6&7)
Muhle Rytmo badger brush
Simpsons shaving cream (SOTM) .... bottom of the tin can is in sight :smile1:
Floid vigoroso
Labell balm ASB

Time to change blade & razor.

Have a nice day.

Top Bottom