What's new

Tabac or not Tabac?

I have to say, although I was initially unimpressed with the performance of Tabac Original soap using my B&B Essential brush (the lather I was getting was good, but not great), I am now completely in love with this stuff. Of course, it almost goes without saying that I adore the aroma (and the ASL will forever be a highlight in my rotation). I tried the soap with my Il Ceppo "real" badger brush (to me, it looks more like a "best" than a "pure", but who the heck knows?) and, aha!, now I can see what all the fuss is about. The lather I got was thick and delicious, like homemade whipped heavy cream. One of the best shaves of my life.

I can understand why this timeless classic has such a loyal following. I don't know if it's the tallow (my other favorite soap is "unscented" AoS, so it might well be the tallow) but, whatever it is, count me in!

:001_tt1:

Good one!!! I wonder if there are any shaving related lines from the immortal Bard that we can find?

Someone here has a signature line from A Midsummer Night's Dream. I'm not sure who, but this is the line:

I must to the barber's, monsieur; for
methinks I am marvellous hairy about the face; and I
am such a tender ***, if my hair do but tickle me,
I must scratch.

Tabac and my B&B essential is a great combo.

It's not that I got bad results with the B&B Essential and the Tabac, in fact, I thought it was very good. But, for whatever reason, when I used the Il Ceppo, the quality of my Tabac lather really jumped up by an order of magnitude. That is not the necessarily case with every soap, its just what I observed with the Tabac.

Good one!!! I wonder if there are any shaving related lines from the immortal Bard that we can find?

Et tu, Brut?

Last edited:
V

VR6ofpain

and, aha!, now I can see what all the fuss is about. The lather I got was thick and delicious, like homemade whipped heavy cream. One of the best shaves of my life.

I can understand why this timeless classic has such a loyal following.
You did well my brotha. Tabac is the best soap I have found. I do not think it is just the tallow, because I have tried and given up on several other tallow soaps (one was the famed MWF), that simply did not perform.

Long live Tabac. The ASL is indeed good, but so is the EDC. I need to find a North American source of the After Shave Balm. Only seen it in Europe.

Tabac? In my rotation?

DEFINITELY!!

proxy.php

You did well my brotha. Tabac is the best soap I have found. I do not think it is just the tallow, because I have tried and given up on several other tallow soaps (one was the famed MWF), that simply did not perform.

Long live Tabac. The ASL is indeed good, but so is the EDC. I need to find a North American source of the After Shave Balm. Only seen it in Europe.

I thought MWF is lanolin based, not tallow-based. I could be wrong here. I really like MWF, can't handle Tabac's fragrance, but I'm looking forward to trying Irisch Moos.

-Andy

I thought MWF is lanolin based, not tallow-based. I could be wrong here. I really like MWF, can't handle Tabac's fragrance, but I'm looking forward to trying Irisch Moos.

-Andy

It has both. It is a tallow based triple milled soap with lanollin in it.

I've ordered a cake of MWF from WCS and I look forward to its arrival. However, it is going to be hard to beat the Tabac because, unlike you, I can't get enough of that aroma. Ahhh, the smell of it . . . .

That hurt so good...:biggrin:

And Tabac deserves every good thing ever said about it.

I agree. What astonishes me is that, for every person (like you and me) who adores the stuff, there appears to be another who can't stand it. It seems to evoke very strong opinions one way or the other -- but very little indifference.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom