What's new

How much stuff do you use in your shaving ritual? And in what order?

I have noticed that some folks use a fair amount of stuff in there shaving regime. I normally wash my face (depending on what time of the day it is sometimes in the shower sometimes not), get my lather going, shave, rinse, and either in aftershave splash or a balm. Alum optional if I have weepers, rough shave, etc

It looks like some of you guys use balm and aftershave. Sometimes with WH. What order do you do it? It seems like if you do the bomb first you won't get the desirable qualities of the aftershave, and vice versa if you do the aftershave first you don't get the desired qualities of the balm.

Wet face, face lather, shave, rinse.

Splash and when rarely required, about 10min later, balm or moisturizer.

From a dermatology layering perspective, cream should always be the last.

Makes no sense applying cream and then disrupting everything with an alcohol stuff that will wipe it away.

But of course, the are no rules. Whatever makes you happy.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I alternate with routines A and B to hit all the shaving muscles thoroughly over two workouts.

A
1. Toothbrush/sink/toothpaste/sink
2. Brush/sink/puck or stick/sink and face a lot
3. Shave
4. Menthol aftershave for the win!
5. Shower/shampoo/soap/shower
6. Baby powdah!
7. Deodorant
8. Wash and dry shave gear and wipe down sink with shave binky
9. Balm for skin

B
1. Toothbrush/sink/toothpaste/sink
2. Shower/shampoo/soap/shower
3. Baby powdah!
4. Deodorant
5. Brush/sink/puck or stick/sink and face a lot
6. Shave
7. Menthol aftershave for the win!
8. Wash face with cold, damp shave binky
9. Wash and dry shave gear and wipe down sink with shave binky
10. Balm for skin

The razor for the gainz! The menthol for the stem-u-lation!

Shave bowl
brush
water
soap
Pre-shave (depending on the soap product that I'm using that day)
shave, rinse
alum or witch hazel (no real rhyme or reason as to which I choose for the morning)
balm
aftershave
and finally, a few minutes later
Cologne (usually)

I'm a big proponent of using at least a balm. The aftershave kicks it up a notch and I love how everything comes together when i've used the alum, balm, aftershave combo. My face is smooth, soft, and ready for the day.

It looks like some of you guys use balm and aftershave. Sometimes with WH. What order do you do it? It seems like if you do the bomb first you won't get the desirable qualities of the aftershave, and vice versa if you do the aftershave first you don't get the desired qualities of the balm.
WH, splash, balm. I generally always use WH/splash and stick with a balm last during the dry months. Never just balm unless traveling (so I can pack less).

Warm water in sink
Wash face twice with warm water and soap
Badger brush and Old Spice mug
Make lather with shave soap and apply
Three or four-pass shave with vintage razor
Wash face with cool water. (Don't forget cleaning the soap from the ears and nose.)
Apply AS splash
Clean the hardware and the sink

I shower before I shave then do the following in order:

Rinse with cold water
Wet brush
face lather
shave
rinse with cold water
aftershave splash

I usually use six items in the following order:

1. Brush (wet first then go to the puck or bowl)
2. Soap or cream
3. & 4. Razor & Blade (simultaneous)
5. Witch hazel
6. Post shave balm

Followed by a cup of coffee.

Most of the time, I shave after my daily shower. I've already selected a cream or soap, a brush (I have five I rotate through), and use the razor I've decided to use for a few days. Most of the time it's either my Feather AS-D2 or a vintage Gillette "ball end" Tech (although I have a few other vintage Gillettes). I like mild razors but prefer Feather blades although I have quite a few Astras, Kais, Personna Labs, and Gillette Blue, Derbys, and Wilkinsons. Soak the brush while in the shower. Afterwards, make up the lather (often I face shave, other times lather in the bowl), re-wet my face, do three passes plus buffing, rinse, alum bar (always), rinse, dry and finish, usually, with one of my Trumper's skin foods (Coral, Lime, Sandalwood). Sometimes, I'll use scent free Oil of Olay with a few drops of Old Spice (have lots) as an after shave balm. Enough fragrance remains for me. Don't want to smell all day. I don't match my aftershave to my soap or cream unless it sjust happens to work out that way.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Three times a week (generally) I land in the Lather Pit or its temporary substitute "Lather Pit West" with the following:

Some hair; and a thermal mug of "recombobulant" (coffee).

Once there I soak the boar brush for a few minutes while assembling the tools and taking care of some other matters. That usually means putting a blade in whatever razor I'm using, laying out a washcloth and a hand towel and running water in the sink. I turn on the hot and let it warm up while it's filling.

Then the shave:

Make lather, brush on lather, shave off lather, rinse, repeat blah, blah, blah, hit any "holidays" and rinse again. Done!

I have to be in the mood for it, though. I had a bunch of other things to take care of this morning and I'd lost the urge by the time I had the time. So maybe I'll shave tomorrow; or maybe on Friday. Who cares? I'm retired.

O.H.

1. Boil a teapot full of water--we have an in-line water heater that takes a long time to get to my den.
2. Wet and soap face with the Old Spice soap--let it soak in.
3. Fill a measuring cup with enough boiled water to fill the scuttle
4. Put more hot water in the measuring cup--1/2 cup.
5. Brush into hot water.
6. Soap into scuttle, then rinse face.
7. Whip up lather.
8. Take picture of today's setup.
9. Rinse face.
10. Lather up
11. Begin shaving.

1. Boil a teapot full of water--we have an in-line water heater that takes a long time to get to my den.
2. Wet and soap face with the Old Spice soap--let it soak in.
3. Fill a measuring cup with enough boiled water to fill the scuttle
4. Put more hot water in the measuring cup--1/2 cup.
5. Brush into hot water.
6. Soap into scuttle, then rinse face.
7. Whip up lather.
8. Take picture of today's setup.
9. Rinse face.
10. Lather up
11. Begin shaving.
BobbyB, I would say you could set your watch by that routine.

I can say simple as I have limited gear.

1. Shower using Stirling soap
2. Soak razors in hot water (shavette and dual edge)
3. as I lather up
4. Alum
5. Most times, Aftershave splash or balm

Not sure why I soak the razors as I lather up and shave, guess it became a habit and I never thought about it until now. Most soft gear is dependent on what I have in the cabinet.

Tools:
Bowl, lather, Captain's Choice, HD copper
Brush, shaving, badger, boar, or synthetic bristle
Cheese spreader, vintage, bakelite handle
Razor, safety

Parts:
Blade, DE, stainless steel, coated

Expendables supplies:
Balm, aftershave, alcohol or glycerin base
Cream, shaving or
Soap, shaving
Styptic pencil
Towel, terrycloth
Water, hot

1. Soak brush.

NOTE:
If blade is new, do steps 2 thru 4.​

2. Unscrew handle from safety razor.

3. Install new blade between razor top cap and base plate.

4. Reattach handle by screwing clockwise onto threaded stud located on baseplate.

5. Fill sink with hot water.

6. Scoop soap/cream into bowl using cheese spreader.

7. Lather soap/cream using damp brush.

8. Wet face with hot water.

NOTE:
Repeat steps 9, 10, and 11 until all traces of whisker stubble are removed.

CAUTION:
Always maintain a secure grip on the razor while shaving, or you may drop your razor into the sink. Failure to securely grip your razor may result in damage to your razor and blade.

WARNING:
Repeating steps 9, 10, and 11 too many times may result in personal injury, including profuse bleeding on or about the face and neck​

9. Apply lather to face with brush.

10. Shave face and neck using razor and blade.

11. Rinse face, check face for whisker stubble.

12. Dry face with towel.

NOTE:
Inspect face and neck for bleeding. If bleeding,
do step 13.​

13. Apply styptic pencil to wound.

WARNING:
If wound continues to bleed, do step 14, otherwise go to step15.​

14. Call medic. Task complete.

15. Clean up mess.

16. Apply alcohol or glycerin aftershave solution to face and neck.

17. Allow aftershave to dry.

18. Try to keep your hands from stroking your impossibly smooth (and if you happen to be @FarmerTan, impossibly handsome) face.

Task complete.

It's been a while, but I wrote it US Army Technical Manual style, sort of. I'm sure my editor would find something wrong with it, she always did...but you get the idea.

Top Bottom