What's new

August 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Are one of these more popular in Bulgaria? Are they used in barbershops? I'm just curious about what soaps and creams are most widely used in various countries.
@ivan_101 will know for sure. I would say Karo Classic (red) but I have no clue what the prevalent AS in Barbershops would be…

C56D1E3F-FD34-4E4E-8A5B-9B650833BE65.jpeg

SOTD #2

Beautiful results again, a touch above yesterday's.
A wee bit of water on the brush tip as I lathered the face made for an upgraded performing lather.
Still dries out on me as I conclude, but using a wetter razor helps in that
  • No Pre-Shave Oil
  • ARKO (SOTM) (Arko August)
  • Yaqi Ruby - two band
  • Mühle R89
  • Voskhod (3)
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Speick Splash
  • No Post-Shave Balm
IMG_7915.JPG

@ivan_101 will know for sure. I would say Karo Classic (red) but I have no clue what the prevalent AS in Barbershops would be…

View attachment 1498294
Very few people in Bulgaria will shave in a barbershop. No demand, as this is considered a sign of low social class here. Just like shaving sticks. You show someone a stick and he will not believe it you use such thing from the primaeval times. There are the old style barbershops (very few of them left) which will offer a shavette shaving. Straight razor shaving is forbidden, they must use shavettes. There the barbers will buy anything of the 3 brands. Viking, Karo or TOP TEN.

In the last 2-3 years lots of new style "barbershops" appeared. Bearded young guys doing haircuts / and beard styling on bearded young guys. If they shave anyone's beard ever, I don't think they will buy Karo, TOP TEN and Viking.

Very few people in Bulgaria will shave in a barbershop. No demand, as this is considered a sign of low social class here. Just like shaving sticks. You show someone a stick and he will not believe it you use such thing from the primaeval times. There are the old style barbershops (very few of them left) which will offer a shavette shaving. Straight razor shaving is forbidden, they must use shavettes. There the barbers will buy anything of the 3 brands. Viking, Karo or TOP TEN.

In the last 2-3 years lots of new style "barbershops" appeared. Bearded young guys doing haircuts / and beard styling on bearded young guys. If they shave anyone's beard ever, I don't think they will buy Karo, TOP TEN and Viking.
What would have been the AS of choice for the Old Timers, Ivan?

Hey thanks! My wife helped me, she has a good eye for those type of things! The razor is my favourite, a wolfman wr1 .67! I just received it in May and I think I have only used another razor, 3 times since!!
I thought it was a Wolfman but wasn't confident; I hear really good things about them.

Day 2, 6.5% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: Rockwell 6C R4, Ti Handle, Astra SP #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave.

Used the Rockwell for a change, with a fresh Astra. Got a relaxing DFS.

Thanks for the link to the thread with blade pictures, @Guido75. That will make interesting reading. My Nacets are supposed to turn up soon, so I'll post my comparison with a KCG.

Date​
03.08.2022​
Main Focus:3/31 Days in GRUME (9.6% competed and easily still in)
212/215 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
Other:High Efficiency Razors Summer
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
All Aventus August
Prep:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Cream:The Alpha Men 2.0
Aftershave:Floïd The Genuine
Balm:Executive Man
Bowl:Proraso tub / Face lather
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400
Passes:WTG (NE-SW)
ATG (S-N) slanted

Touch up XTG (W-E) slanted
Razor:English Flat Bottom Tech
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (1)
Rating:
8/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

First run with a new blade and this blade is always a little more edgy on the first use. Combined with me wanting to go too fast resulted in some minor weepers on the second ATG pass.

Overall a smooth ride and the Flat Bottom Tech handles the Dorco wonderfully. It handled my whiskers wonderfully as well, so I feel like a smooth little boy again. Like Hannibal (Cal reminded me only yesterday) said: “I love it when a plan comes together.”

buying during the GRUME to give away should not make you fall off the GRUME as per rule No 2. Do not make this young man wait any longer than necessary to get on the right pass of shaving enjoyment
I followed your advice and have placed the order for the brush with a Motherlode knot. It should be a good entrace knot into wet shaving, something that is far better than I started with.

It'll be delivered in a few weeks time, maybe next month; till then other items for the kit will be procured.

Thanks for pushing me in the right direction, sometimes all it needs is another voice to do something good.

Top Bottom