What's new

I've bought my first vintage razor (a Superspeed)! Tell me about my choice!

First shave with my Superspeed!
2 pass WTG/XTG, Gillette Platinum blade (Figured I would initiate it with a same brand blade)
Oh man! Wow!!!
Smooth as butter and efficient as can be. The result was an almost BBS shave.
I'm impressed and sad at the same time that I never gave a look at these vintage Gillette's.
Caught up in all the modern razors that are hyped and don't hold a candle to this one. I've spent a lot of money with all the mid & high tier razors!! I understand now the love for vintage!
I learned something tonight:
Don't fix what ain't broken! I guess our Grandfather's knew something that we didn't!
This razors blade alignment is perfect and it clamps the blade down as good as anything modern. It feels great and has perfect balance and maneuverability.
I'm really dumbfounded!
The only modern razor that I have that I can say that is equivalent is my Made in the USA Above the Tie Windsor SS 0.80 SSRH. Other than that, the others are nice in their own right but I guess just different!

In other news,
I've purchased a birth year/birth quarter superspeed for really cheap. Seems to be in decent shape (especially the black handle) and with a good cleaning should be a nice piece:

full

full

Next up is the search for a step up in aggressiveness (A red tip). I'm going to take my time and find a nice one and might even get it replated if necessary. I need to slow down a bit with the buying so I'm gonna take it easy.
I say that because I know that now the vintage bug will hit me and we all know how that flows.
LRod
LRod,

If’n your looking for a great condition Gillette Red Tip, PM me. I have one I’ll gladly send you for free. It’s a great shaver, but not one of my daily drivers. I bought it as part of a “vintage lot” that included a Toggle. The seller evidently didn’t know what a Toggle was……😁

Curly

I still don't see the draw of vintage razors and am looking forward to hear your impressions.
I particularly don't get this razors having a history and a story thing that is important to some. I like collecting things, but no autographs e.g..

Let's see. I would love this handle in stainless steel. 😀
For me, the draw of vintage razors is that I am using an industrial product manufactured decades before I was born. I also try to imagine who all the previous owners might have been. My oldest vintage razor, a Gillette Single Ring, was made in 1910 and still works great and uses modern DE blades. I've read on B & B about people with modern razors that have broken handles, etc. Vintage razors generally were made to last because people in the early 20th Century expected products to last and were not into a disposable mindset. Nothing wrong with modern razors (I have several), but my heart is with vintage ones.

For me, the draw of vintage razors is that I am using an industrial product manufactured decades before I was born. I also try to imagine who all the previous owners might have been. My oldest vintage razor, a Gillette Single Ring, was made in 1910 and still works great and uses modern DE blades. I've read on B & B about people with modern razors that have broken handles, etc. Vintage razors generally were made to last because people in the early 20th Century expected products to last and were not into a disposable mindset. Nothing wrong with modern razors (I have several), but my heart is with vintage ones.
I'd have to agree and I was anti-vintage. I didn't get it till I tried it. And it's only been like a week!
The couple I have so far and have used are solid and shave incredibly well. And something about the vintage vibe that completes the joy felt during the shave. I didn't and don't get that feel with the new stuff. I love my modern razors a lot but they're missing that "thing" that you feel with the vintage ones. Both old and new will be in my rotation. I'll get to feel the positives & negatives of the different era's!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'd have to agree and I was anti-vintage. I didn't get it till I tried it. And it's only been like a week!
The couple I have so far and have used are solid and shave incredibly well. And something about the vintage vibe that completes the joy felt during the shave. I didn't and don't get that feel with the new stuff. I love my modern razors a lot but they're missing that "thing" that you feel with the vintage ones. Both old and new will be in my rotation. I'll get to feel the positives & negatives of the different era's!
Mine still hasn't made it to the Post Office yet... or it hasn't been scanned in, in any event. I am really looking forward to using it... just to see what it's like. I'll also give my Lupo Aluminum another chance when the Wizamet blades show up... but with a heavier handle.

Just received my $20 Super Speed Red Tip!
Looked it up and it's a 1st. quarter 58'.
Looks to be in great condition and the mechanism works smoothly. Safety bar is straight as an arrow, no damage and no rust at all. It's just really dirty and it needs a good ultrasonic bath and some scrubbing (today).
I think it'll turn out fantastic and an excellent replate candidate if I choose to take that route.
It will be up for tonight's shave!
I'll post some pics of it after I clean it.
A great buy for $20!

full

full

full

Well, I put it through a quick single cycle in the ultrasonic machine and brushed it with some Dawn afterwards. 10 minute cleaning job! Whenever I have more time I will do a more thorough cleaning. I'm happy to say that this $20 gem will stay with me in it's original state. It doesn't deserve a replating!

Look at this beauty:

full

full

Last edited:
First shave with the Red Tip!
2 pass WTG/XTG using a Gillette Platinum blade.
I'm comparing this to my 63' Super Speed flare tip. This is my first time using a Red Tip.
I was expecting agressiveness since I read that the Red Tip was more agressive. I felt no agressiveness in the shave. Probably a bit more than my 63' but it's by no means an agressive razor. I guess that's what happens when you've gotten used to the specs of modern razors.
What I found was a mild, super smooth and efficient shave. Definitely an everyday razor that gives a great result. It's also got some sound when it shaves. Lots of wonderful feedback! It also has the benefit of being heavier which I enjoy. I think both my 63' and this 58' Red Tip are fantastic razors. I like them both equally and find them par in performance. They will both be part of my rotation. Now, in comparison to modern razors (such as my ATT 0.80"). These vintage Gillette's are different. The modern razors have all these bells and whistles built into the designs in order to up the performance. And that's ok because it gives more of a custom option for each user but it doesn't necessarily make them better. My ATT can definitely do more work in 1 pass but in the end, I always do 2 passes no matter the razor and end up with the same result. So is the modern $200 razor worth it in comparison?
Probably not (I paid $20 for the Red Tip) but it's nice to have both and I'm loving both options!
As always, YMMV!

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Excellent review @LRod and yes, the red tip isn't really aggressive at all. Just buttery smooth and close, hard to hurt oneself. Not much different at all to a '50s flare tip, and I think the extra weight adds something to the feel/vibe.

And thanks for calling your other razor a flare tip :ouch1: not a flair tip. :angry:

Top Bottom