What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Excellent, Butch. The straights will find a new home as well no doubt. And a new RazoRock on the way - that is too vague for us :glare:. Name and number sir! Deliver us from temptation! I am going to guess a Lupo .95 open comb given your other preferences, but maybe I am wrong.

A lot is well on this side of the globe. Enjoying final stretches of holiday before heading back to work. And what better way to do that then with B&B and a new razor!

Cheers,

Guido

Guido…Your guess is totally correct!!! 👍😊
I'm guessing... if I end up down that DE rabbit hole, the RR Lupo .95OC would be my next razor. If I ordered one, it would probably beat the FBT here in the mail. <Eg>

The eBay seller told me they had a holiday weekend in Canada and their US shipper should get it to the PO sometime tomorrow. It will be nice to see the tracking show some movement.

I'm guessing... if I end up down that DE rabbit hole, the RR Lupo .95OC would be my next razor. If I ordered one, it would probably beat the FBT here in the mail. <Eg>

The eBay seller told me they had a holiday weekend in Canada and their US shipper should get it to the PO sometime tomorrow. It will be nice to see the tracking show some movement.
Patience.png

Good things come to those who wait Kim @Phoenixkh - this just build the anticipation for the great razor you are about to receive and shave with.

Razorock razors are still a bit out of my league - that cost twice as much here than in the US and then shipping and customs. I could get a scratch & dent Timeless for that type of cash.

The EFBT will be awesome!

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Good things come to those who wait Kim @Phoenixkh - this just build the anticipation for the great razor you are about to receive and shave with.

Razorock razors are still a bit out of my league - that cost twice as much here than in the US and then shipping and customs. I could get a scratch & dent Timeless for that type of cash.

The EFBT will be awesome!

Guido
I'm going to hold off on any new or vintage razor until I get the Flat Bottom Tech. I'm really looking forward to it. I don't think mine is in mint condition like yours, but if that is the case, I'll get it replated at Back Roads Gold. In the photos, the handle looks a bit worn, like the original plating has worn off. As I've already mentioned, I'll shave with for a while first.

We only have three weeks before we leave for some dental work in Bali. That's one reason I'm so anxious to get it. I could always take it with me but they are so hard to find at the moment, I'd rather take one of my Claymore Evolutions because I know it could be replaced easily... and I have three of them. We'll be there for a month. I'll have my laptop with me so I can still participate in Single Edge September. SEptember.

I'm going to hold off on any new or vintage razor until I get the Flat Bottom Tech. I'm really looking forward to it. I don't think mine is in mint condition like yours, but if that is the case, I'll get it replated at Back Roads Gold. In the photos, the handle looks a bit worn, like the original plating has worn off. As I've already mentioned, I'll shave with for a while first.

We only have three weeks before we leave for some dental work in Bali. That's one reason I'm so anxious to get it. I could always take it with me but they are so hard to find at the moment, I'd rather take one of my Claymore Evolutions because I know it could be replaced easily... and I have three of them. We'll be there for a month. I'll have my laptop with me so I can still participate in Single Edge September. SEptember.
I see. Postal arrivals before a deadline are always annoying to me. I hope you are performing the dental work? Or undergoing?

If it was me I would take the Claymore. I have seen other guys using Techs as travel razors, but given their vintage nature - particularly the Flat Bottom as you said - I myself don’t do that. I have a nickel Fatip reserved for those occasions. I have two Piccolos and they are easily replaced at almost petty cash levels.

The Flat Bottom will stay in my den. I think it has seen enough of the world as it is. Probably more than I did. It was just a lucky shot. For all I know I would have not looked at the website and missed it on this razor all together. In fact, I was in the process of getting two other Techs from Germany when this one popped up.

The plating on mine is good for its age. Not as shiny as my Fatip, but as this is somewhere in the region of my dad’s age I think it is holding pretty well. Chris’ replating is stunning from the photos I have seen. I would be anxious though sending my razor to the States and hoping it will come back alive too.

Best of luck,

Guido

Date​
02.08.2022 Tech Tuesday​
Main Focus:2/31 Days in GRUME (6.4% competed and easily still in)
211/214 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
Other:High Efficiency Razors Summer
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
All Aventus August
Prep:Cold splash
Proraso Green preshave
Cream:The Alpha Men 2.0
Aftershave:Floïd The Genuine
Balm:Executive Man
Bowl:Proraso tub / Face lather
Brush:Omega Super Badger
Passes:WTG (NE-SW)
XTG (W-E) slanted
ATG (S-N)
Razor:English Flat Bottom Tech
Blade:Shark Super Chrome (11) - retired
Rating:9/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Second run with the Gillette and again very smooth. The blade performs well in this Tech. I did decide to bank it. It has mileage left, but also gave me two weepers for the second day and that is my signal for out. Excellent blade though.

AlphaMen is very slick and therefore excellent glide. The Super Badger is my first brush and it has lost its backbone. It spleens by just looking at it, but I am fond of this little badger. Great lather maker too.

This razor is really great. Very intuitive and using a steep angle still forgiving. It feels as if you can get away with a lot. Why Gillette ever stopped making these beats me - we would have all been hooked for life on DE razor and blades if you ask me (I know what the economical answer is and margin spread on cartridges, but still).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
:confused1 What is my "RFB Tech" razor please, Kim?
Is your competing razor to your top Flat Bottom Tech the Raised Flat Bottom Tech? Or did I get something wrong again?

Post #2718?

Is your competing razor to your top Flat Bottom Tech the Raised Flat Bottom Tech?
No. My NEW RFB isn't a Tech.
Post #2718?
As per the pic in post #2718, you'll see quite clearly that it's an Open Comb:
1939-RFB-G_2022-08-01.jpg

BUT...
talking about RFB Techs... there was only one model ever made (the Gillette Hybrid Tech)... behold the unicorn:
Gillette-Hybrid-Tech_2022-02-24.jpg

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ The baseplates tell the story. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I've only ever seen one on eBay. That was fairly recent, and if memory serves me correctly it went for more than $400.

I actually have one! It's a very nice smooth shaver (but IMO it's nowhere near as good as the FBT):
H-7_2022-04-01.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
No. My NEW RFB isn't a Tech.

As per the pic in post #2718, you'll see quite clearly that it's an Open Comb:
View attachment 1498298

BUT...
talking about RFB Techs... there was only one model ever made (the Gillette Hybrid Tech)... behold the unicorn:
View attachment 1498306
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ The baseplates tell the story. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I've only ever seen one on eBay. That was fairly recent, and if memory serves me correctly it went for more than $400.

I actually have one! It's a very nice smooth shaver (but IMO it's nowhere near as good as the FBT):
View attachment 1498315
OK... I'm not that bright. I just assumed it was another Tech.. I knew it was Raised Flat Bottom... I assumed it was also a Tech. I really have no idea what I'm talking about, in case you missed it. <eg>

Gillette English Flat Bottom

Today was shave two with this incredible razor. I got this one off of a Dutch equivalent to eBay and it was very nearby from where I live, so all I had to do was drive out and get my razor. No postage problems! It came in an original small green case. Outer appearance is decent for its age, but the inside has seen better days. I have not bothered to make a picture of it, because there is not much to see on the inside. If you look really really close, you can still see the Gillette logo.

Now the razor itself is anything but showing its age. It is absolutely stunning (I believe). I have taken hires pictures so you can see for yourself:

IMG_5091.JPGIMG_5092.JPGIMG_5093.JPG

Plating is still superb and shiny with only one or two blemishes on the handle. I cleaned her with dish washer soap, some warm water and 75%-alcolhol for sanitation. Minor war on the baseplate where the handle and plate meet. I use washers so that will not increase anymore.

Here she is (dis)assembled in the stand I made and varnished today (the little hole is too accommodate the post from the cap):

F855159C-0E93-42A2-A25E-152B29E58223.jpegCBF9B7D8-6481-488D-8994-49A9A9C32DFC.jpeg

Shave-wise this is the definition of safety razor. I have the impression that getting a weeper or a nick with this razor is almost impossible. I did manage however, but that was because of a prior shave and a run out blade rather than the razor.

It is extremely intuitive to use and I found the angle in no time (steep - which is how I like it anyway). Two passes gets me to DFS/BBS- and three passes is bliss. It’s now 13 hours or so past my shave and stubble has just started to appear. It worked well with a Shark Chrome and I have a Dorco ST300HQ ready for tomorrow. I also received some recommendations from David @never-stop-learning which I will be following up on in future periods.

The fat handle is hollow making this a very light razor and the lightest razor in my collection. I did not weigh her but she feels slightly lighter than my Piccolo (even though that is solid). I can see why a handle by Doug @Rosseforp would go very nicely with the head.

The lightness did not put me off. And that has to do with its effectiveness during the shave. The Flat Bottom combines efficiency from the prewar Tech with the comfort of the postwar Tech. And it simply shaves amazing. I just want to keep using it! Is this would have been my first razor I would not have developed RAD and have multiple razors for basically the same job (and the question to trigger many conversations in my household. That and I can never say ANYTHING about her bags or shoes).

This is a fun razor for both beginners and experienced shaves. It depends more on the blade you are using and the number of passes you need. If you are able to get one at a reasonable price simply do it - you will have a smile shave every morning. I know I do.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Guido,

I'm so happy you love your FBT. As you know, I'll only be a few days behind you. The first set of blades showed up today, the King C. Gillette's. Cal loves them so I ordered them first hmmmm could have been second. I have some Kai blades as per David's recommendation en route and some Wizamet blades on the way because Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers loves them in all his DE razors.

This is going to be a fun experiment.

Guido,

I'm so happy you love your FBT. As you know, I'll only be a few days behind you. The first set of blades showed up today, the King C. Gillette's. Cal loves them so I ordered them first hmmmm could have been second. I have some Kai blades as per David's recommendation en route and some Wizamet blades on the way because Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers loves them in all his DE razors.

This is going to be a fun experiment.
Excellent Kim. David also mentioned Personna Red as a good combo for the Tech. I am eyeing those (but in GRUME at the moment). The KCG is one of my favourite blades.

I really really hope the FBT is very near to your house!

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Excellent Kim. David also mentioned Personna Red as a good combo for the Tech. I am eyeing those (but in GRUME at the moment). The KCG is one of my favourite blades.

I really really hope the FBT is very near to your house!

Guido
Saturday is the projected arrival date. It did leave Seattle... so across the country to Florida. Almost a perfect diagonal.

Top Bottom