What's new

SHARK WEEK: July 24-31!!

Shark Week PIF, Shave #8

Associated gear:

1940's Gillette SuperSpeed
Shark Super Stainless
Maggard 24mm 2-band badger
WMS

To close out Shark Week, I returned to the Shark Super Stainless, the one I used last Sunday as well.
It was an easy, comfortable BBS shave after 3 passes, with only the tiniest bit of touch-up required.

The SSS has been one of my favorite blades ever since @Toothpick first PIFfed me back in the spring of 2017, so it made sense to me to use it to bookend the other 2 blades.

Conclusions:
Shaves #1 & #8 were with the Super Stainless blade.
Shaves #2, #4, & #6 were with the Platinum blade.
Shaves #3, #5, & #7 were with the Jaws.

All three were good blades, but the Jaws blade wasn't quite as smooth on my face, nor quite as close as the Platinum. The Platinum, in turn, shaved as close as the SS, but felt just a little bit rougher.
That makes the order, for me, Super Stainless, Platinum, Jaws.

And for a little while now, I've got some DE loose ends to clean up. Before going on vacation, I had been trying out an RK blade in a Henson. After Vacation, I found an Old Friend waiting for me. That got put on hold for Shark Week. So I find myself in the unusual position of having no less than five blades in progress. That has to change.

Last edited:
🦈🦈 SOTD #8 // Blackland Blackbird Ti // ETHOS Succès Soap and Splash // Paladin Ichabod 26mm Micarta “Interstellar” // Captains Choice Copper Bowl // Shark Platinum(1)
524E2715-0BB2-4F25-A4A5-B0320D583A8B.jpeg

After yesterday and the rough shave from a super chrome which was likely a dud I loaded up a fresh Platinum for today’s final Shark Week shave and got one of the top shaves of the week!

I’m happy to report that this blade was a good one! Smooth again! Again not quite as sharp as I like but smooth enough to work for a good DFS. Today was a great shave all together. No blood lost.

I’m glad that I participated in shark week this year. I had quite a bit of fun trying all the shark varieties. I think they are all quite useable and smooth so long as you don’t pull a dud.

Happy Shaves Everyone!

Sthave #8
SSS (2)
Karve CB OC B plate
Leviathan Soap and Balm
Atlantis Synthetic Brush

For the final shave I decided to use a more protective cage and the biblical beast to keep me safe! Even the SSS would not dare tangle with a Leviathan!
I could feel the Shark fighting to get to me but it didn't have a chance!
It was the best shave of the week! No blood and a bbs to boot! I did feel a bit wimpy with the reinforced brass cage and a mythical beast on my side.
20220731_141440~2.jpg

Shark Week shave #8
Open comb razor: 1918 Gillette Old Type

20220731_094536-01.jpeg

Shark Week's over. It's been a week full of surprises. Sometimes, the S³ made for a brillant smooth shave, sometimes the shave was just plain and simple tuggy. There was no clear rule evident for me, why the performance differed this much...

Today, the shave was a "middle of the road" one in its seventh outing. Not overly smooth, not overly rough, but there was a tad of tugginess, which didn't bother me.
2 passes and touchups, one more time. The combo of the vintage razor and the modern blade performed well. Almost BBS.

Poor Sharks... they didn't get one single drop of blood from me in course of Shark Week!

Thanks @BigJ for a another nice week with the Sharkys... 😀 I hope to meet some of you in All Aventus August 😀

Enjoy your Sharky Sunday, y'all!

Last edited:
Shark Week PIF, Shave #8

Associated gear:

1940's Gillette SuperSpeed
Shark Super Stainless
Maggard 24mm 2-band badger
WMS

To close out Shark Week, I returned to the Shark Super Stainless, the one I used last Sunday as well.
It was an easy, comfortable BBS shave after 3 passes, with only the tiniest bit of touch-up required.

The SSS has been one of my favorite blades ever since @Toothpick first PIFfed me back in the spring of 2017, so it made sense to me to use it to bookend the other 2 blades.

Conclusions:
Shaves #1 & #8 were with the Super Stainless blade.
Shaves #2, #4, & #6 were with the Platinum blade.
Shaves #3, #5, & #7 were with the Jaws.

All three were good blades, but the Jaws blade wasn't quite as smooth on my face, nor quite as close as the Platinum. The Platinum, in turn, shaved as close as the SS, but felt just a little bit rougher.
That makes the order, for me, Super Stainless, Platinum, Jaws.

And for a little while now, I've got some DE loose ends to clean up. Before going on vacation, I had been trying out an RK blade in a Henson. After Vacation, I found an Old Friend waiting for me. That got put on hold for Shark Week. So I find myself in the unusual position of having no less than five blades in progress. That has to change.

Great comparison! And you still have the SC for next year!!:letterk1::letterk1::letterk1:

Last shave of shark week I used a fresh Super Chrome and was rewarded with another blade that just barely got the job done. I got through the week with no blood and I learned a lesson. Shark Super Chromes are not for me. Next year I'm busting out the Shark Platinums. Cheers all and have a great bloodless year!

Shave 7 of SHARK!!!! WEEK

Cold water splash
ARKO* shave soap
Simpson Trafalgar T3 Synthetic brush
Bicrops porcelain lather bowl
Razorock Game Changer .84P
SHARK!!!!* Super Chrome (2)
Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol balm

*ARKO/SHARKO!!!

It was a sad day that SHARK!!!! Week had to come to a close. I decided to go out with a bang, using a more efficient razor than my other SHARK!!!! shaves. And since it's still hot as the hinges of H-E-Double Hockey Sticks, this was my second cold water shave in history, which is working very well, surprisingly.

This was a three pass shave, WTG, XTG, ATG. No bloodshed, no irritation, nothing to get the SHARKS!!!! excited.
I would rate this shave 9.7/10

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Shark Week shave#8
IMG_20220728_122150.jpg

Razor: Rockwell 6C R6
Blade: Shark Platinum(8)
Soap: TFS RasoZero Agrumella
Brush: Semogue 1305

Tonight my final shave for shark week I went back to the Agrumella because I really have a lot of 3017 work to do. The Rockwell put in a solid performance as usual but this RasoZero soap (I have Barbaccio aswell) really needs to be used up as I just don't find it that slick. They are probably my worst performing soaps at the moment.
The result was really a DFS finish, not bad, but could definitely have been better. Finished with some moisturizer and a spray of Kolonya.
Shark week has been real fun this year, thanks to @BigJ for hosting and everyone else for participating and making Shark Week the great event that it is. Look forward to seeing you all next time.

Jaws blade one, shave three

EJ 89 again. No preshave but the same set up as last time. No blood in the water but very scrappy feeling shave.

shave 4

RR Jaws 68. Same set up but with preshave Green Proraso. Blood on first pass. Too deliberate of an evening shave. Kind of like it being difficult to ride a bike when not moving. Got some momentum and finished fine but there was an early slip.

shave 5

Double Jaws Returns part Three

RR Jaws 68 And Jaws blade. Switched soap to Valley of Ashes and Cayuen bowl plus Valley of Ashes AS.

NO blood in the water with the Jaws blade and Jaws Razor! By far the best shave of the week. New razor and new blade made for a rough week. Todays shave was smooth without the skin scrapping that I was getting with the mild EJ DE89.

I guess I needed the full shark week to get it dialed in. I’ll save at least one or two blades for next year. I will not be purchasing any Jaws blades - I am feeling like I already have a lifetime supply. Happy August - stay cool. July was cool and wet here which is what we needed. Thanks again to those who made this happen. I am in for shark week 2023!

Mike M

Have you seen this shark
great_white_shark_south_africa.jpg

He is wanted for eating our head of research, do not approach, pet or sing to shark.

I'm sorry that I didn't post anything about my research into shark and fish repellent yesterday, but there was a terrible incident at the Fish and Amphibian Research and Training Institute (Non Governmental) known as FARTI(NG).
Whilst researching potatoes cut into chips as a shark repellent our head of research E. Alfred Neumann, pictured here researching his famous paper "Dolphins are really just fish hooligans"
71e5d9cd3af5b04f1704d6717eae43de--mad-magazine-magazine-covers_1.jpg

Was holding a bucket of potatoes cut into chips over Chomps pool. Unfortunately Chomps ate the chips, the bucket and the distinguished researcher holding it before escaping once again. A thorough search have failed to locate Chomps.
We have appointed a new head of research in the meantime, Professor C. H. Omps. Who is an expert in shark behaviour.
Polish_20220731_222520616.jpg

Mike M

Announcement by Professor C. H. Omps
Polish_20220731_222520616.jpg

As head of research at the Fish and Amphibian Research and Training Institute (Non Governmental).the results of the research on potatoes cut into chips is in. Chips are not to be used as a shark repellent as the "accident" with the former head of research shows. Often people try to apportion blame when incidents of this nature occur but our focus is not on who ate who but on the reasons why holding a bucket of chips over a sharks pool is such a bad idea that you probably deserve whatever happens to you.

I ended Shark Week with better shaves than I started it with. One Super Stainless blade, rehabilitated on day 7. I changed razors every two days, I started with the Schick Krona, then I switched to vintage Gillettes: Superspeed, New Long Comb, then an early Postwar Tech. There was just some occasional blood. I thought I would end without any today but had a dot (after hitting a blemish) which only lasted one pass. Ended with a DFS.
A good time was had by all!

Last edited:
Last shave of shark week I used a fresh Super Chrome and was rewarded with another blade that just barely got the job done. I got through the week with no blood and I learned a lesson. Shark Super Chromes are not for me. Next year I'm busting out the Shark Platinums. Cheers all and have a great bloodless year!
That’s why shaving is so interesting. I had a good week with the Chrome. YMMV. I used a Fatip Gentile which worked and this morning the Razorine Flatboy to the blade well too. Would a Fatip be in your rotation to try?

Best,

Guido

Top Bottom