What's new

SHARK WEEK: July 24-31!!

July 30

For my fourth shave of Shark Week, I used a different "Henson" 3D printed basbaseplate on my Gillette tech. This baseplate is noticeably mild than the previous one (which I printed in blue). The setup was otherwise the same: Shark Super Stainless (4), Razorock synthetic brush and Proraso Sandalwood cream. The end result was a good shave, but not quite as close as with my blue baseplate.

2022-07-30 13.42.50.jpg

Freaked out would have been a drop in the bucket to how I would have reacted. Yikes! Think I'll stick to the Shark blades and not the actual sharks. :)
So grabbing sharks by the tail gently and flipping them over petting their belly to make em sleep and docile
Then having them snap awake and you have to hold them off by the nose as they spin on you would be something you would not want to do I reckon :) hahahahaha that was never scary but WOW adrenalin rush smiles for sure
reckon we were kinda nuts

its when you grab em by the tail to flip em over and they do not want to go that was also you realize how stinking strong these critters are :) kinda like playing tug with a large dog when they shake their head now imagine something that is 7 feet doing that but you are underwater moving slow and they are not :)

When we would get bumped by them it was actually very calm more them nudging you like your dog would for a treat hahahahahaha

its eels you need to be afraid of they are like the nippy little barky dogs that will NIP You at some point !
I had been bitten twice by eels lucky not as bad as some of my friends no surgery needed :) two of my friends had to have 5 hours of reconstructive surgery to put their hand back together !

Yeah, 5 seconds is plenty of time when freaked out. No sharks, but one time I put the whole crew ashore on a sandy island in the Columbia River (just keel deep) then moved the sloop solo out to deeper water to anchor. Hopped off to swim in and the current moved me down past the end of the island pronto.

For a few seconds I was contemplating (OK, freaking out about!) a long solo swim in swift, cold water to get to the distant river bank rather than to an island a few yards away. And no sharks around to help me chill out or get towed upstream!

Of course sandy islands don't just cut off suddenly so I was soon standing on sandy bottom a hundred yards downstream of dry beach. Time to calm down and compose a story about needing a cooling swim before the picnic.

Sharks, they are never around when you need one!
Hahaha yeah I can see that :) one of those UH OH not what I planed moments :)

I am freaked out by fresh water :) GAR fish have gnarly teeth and I am not used to fresh water so for some reason its the NOT knowing what is under me that I hate swimming in lakes HATE it like really I hate lakes with a passion :) hahahaha

that sounds cool though what kinda boats reckon sail as sloop :) but were you on like private or tourist things ?

OH actually I do remember one time in the water I was freaked out big time that reminded me of it for some reason :) not scared but freaked :)
we had to replace the zincs on the boat in the harbor which I hated cause viz was always horrid and just off the harbor is shark territory and we used to see sharks in the harbor !

Well I am swapping zincs and my fins are tapping the bottom as its kind shallow but not shallow enough to stand ! this is a 75 foot power catamaran so quite a few zincs and heavy enough its hard to work in almost no viz like 1-2 feet

so I am swapping it and all of a sudden I feel things hitting my legs big time like large hits enough to move me in the water I quickly freak and start for the back of the boat grabbing my legs I feel them OH MAN my legs are OK and then calm down hitting the bottom churned up the floor of the harbor a whole bunch and spotted eagle rays started to feed but yeah even those just constantly bumping you as you are trying to work is kinda a mental thing :) hahahahaha

Last edited:
Shark Super Stainless (8)
DSCosmetics DS-D8-T
Arko
Perfecto badger
Cerave

My mildest frequently-used razor, the titanium DSCosmetics often requires 3 passes, but rewards patience with a long lasting smooth shave with no danger of being cut. A good way to bring shark week to an uneventful end, I will probably use it again tomorrow.

that sounds cool though what kinda boats reckon sail as sloop
29 foot Ranger, Seattle ex-race boat with a huge sail inventory.

My partner and I would annually sail it down the Columbia, across the bar and up the Washington coast to cruise Puget Sound, San Juans, and Gulf islands.

River is much harder, not much room, mucho traffic, lots of current. For big fish, sturgeon get pretty huge. Plus you’re expected to kiss the first one you boat. On the lips!

Shark Week Day 7, Jaws blade shave #3

Razor:
Wolfman WR1
Brush: Graydog palm wood 2-band
Soap: MWF
Splash: Proraso green

Comment: This one was close!! And I am talking about getting bitten, not a close shave!! 8/10 today only because of great lather, top-notch gear and very light hand!! Jaws wants to bite!! :scared::scared::scared::scared:

🦈🦈 SOTD #7 // Blackland Blackbird Ti // Fine Barber Blue Soap and Splash // Trotter Handcrafts T1 “Chrysalis” // Captains Choice Copper Bowl // Shark Super Chrome(1)
B52A54C8-8E1E-49EF-92CD-07D5CE0476A3.jpeg

Well, it finally happened I pulled a dud. Fresh Super Chrome today and not at all what I remembered from Tuesday and Wednesdays shaves. This blade was dull and downright rough. I soldiered on and assumed it would smooth out but it did not.

By the third pass I gave myself a small weeper under the jawline and my bloodless shark week has ended.
Weeper closed with a cold water rinse but I’m hardly able to call this shave a DFS.

First shave this week that I downright did not enjoy the blade in the least. But I’ll take it because honestly I was expecting most of the week to be this way and have been quite pleased with the Sharks actually. Binned the blade and with choose another tomorrow.

My first use of this Shark blade, and it bit me! I pulled back fast enough, so it didn’t draw blood, but I think that Shark was trying its best.

La Toja shaving cream
Vie-Long Peleon horse hair brush
1960 Gillette 195 Adjustable (Fatboy)
🦈 Shark razor blade (1)
Floïd The Genuine aftershave

Do not feed the sharks meat. Lather and whiskers only.

02F46653-D0DD-49A7-8E73-7F548AB7074D.jpeg

An intervention is necessary! How could I go from a DFS+ yesterday to a DUS (Danged uncomfortable scrape) today? No blood, just 40 minutes of torture.
Measures will be taken, to the rack! More tomorrow.
I went into today’s shave with much apprehension after yesterday’s scrape fest. I had 25 hours extra growth after the remains left over from yesterday. I was ready to scuttle at a moment’s notice and finish with my Trac II. Maybe 5 decent shaves was all I could expect from this blade.
I abandoned my experiment with only cleaning and rinsing the blade with alcohol. I honed and stropped the Shark Super Stainless. I swapped out my Gillette New LC for one of my early Postwar Techs (Gold, Fat Handle). I lathered up with Mike’s Natural, and within 3 passes I noticed a huge improvement over the previous day! When I finished I had the best shave yet on this blade, perhaps the best shave this year.
Shave #7, no 🩸 or irritation, BBS, 9.9 rating.

29 foot Ranger, Seattle ex-race boat with a huge sail inventory.

My partner and I would annually sail it down the Columbia, across the bar and up the Washington coast to cruise Puget Sound, San Juans, and Gulf islands.

River is much harder, not much room, mucho traffic, lots of current. For big fish, sturgeon get pretty huge. Plus you’re expected to kiss the first one you boat. On the lips!
NICE yeah can imagine the rivers would be a bit tougher to do plus with shifting depths etc..
yeah sturgeon are awesome huge
I love seeing the really old pics of them when more were HUGE insane HUGE
not a caviar dude so they are safe with me though :) hahahahaa

my parents main house is up in Puget Sound area on Liberty Bay :) if ya ever sailed much of the inner sound area ? really pretty up that way

used to sail some nice catamarans in the islands company called Trilogy most were day charter 65 foot type for tourists but they have really nice boats and they push their captains to truly sail !!!! Not just take the tourists out on a sail boat and use engines so was a fun company !

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Shark Week shave#7
SV Saturday

IMG_20220730_213319.jpg

Razor: Rockwell 6C R6
Blade: Shark Platinum(7)
Soap: SV Desert Vetiver
Brush: Muhle Kosmo STF with Bog Oak handle
Tonight for SV Saturday I chose Desert Vetiver as next month is Adventus August the next four SV Saturdays will be Opuntia. The Kosmo is back because it is just unbeatable at face lathering SV and another shave for the Rockwell, I always underestimate the Rockwell until I use it again and get great shaves with it. I think it's because it is a good solid performer, but it's never earth shattering.
The result was a near BBS (I credit the SV for that). I never seem to get a bad shave with SV, no wonder it's my favourite soap.

Shave #7
Fresh SSS
JAWS .68
Captain's Choice Land Ho soap
Yaqi Atlantis brush
Captain's Choice Nor'Easter balm

I knew from past experience that the SSS would try hard to get a bite so I really watched closely for any signs of impending doom. Did a full 3 passes. I thought I had made it out unscathed then I saw it. A tiny red dot. Everything looked fine after the rinse. The Nor'Easter balm left my mug feeling great! A solid DFS.

Sorry I’m late to the Shark party - I was fresh out of Sharks! Haven’t used them in years, but back when I was trying different blades I remember liking the SS and the Chromes. I ordered a box of Super Chromes on Monday and they came today, just in time for a really nice Saturday night shave:

RazoRock Old Type clone w/new Super Chrome
Stirling Boar
Yardley Gold cream
Stirling Sharp Dressed Man AS

B701DBF0-EAA2-4BC7-B8FD-DD4F0F8012C9.jpeg

No blood in the water, but my insane dog swallowed a cat-toy mouse WHOLE earlier in the week, and finally barfed it up this morning, still intact. Does that count? Have a great weekend everyone!

Shark Week SOTD 7/29
DAF1E28D-C5ED-4DAD-B3B2-3DDDCEDF3DB9.jpeg

Soap: Stirling Orange Chill
Brush: PAA Solar Flare
Razor: Razorock Lupo .72
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (2)

Sorry, a little late posting last night’s shave. Another hot one yesterday, so went with some menthol. Orange Chill cooled me off well. This second Shark blade is doing the thing! Nice smooth shave, minimal discomfort. Darn near BBS. I got a decent amount of feedback from the aftershave, but, at least for me, Stirling splashes pack a bit more punch than your average splash. I’m calling this a win.

9.5/10

Shark Week SOTD 7/30
46E9B249-9BDD-4898-8D39-619E2BBE77EC.jpeg

Soap: Stirling Eucalyptus Mint
Brush: Trotter Handcrafts Sea Glass / Omega Pro
Razor: Razorock Lupo .72
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (3)

Tonight’s shave was absolutely sublime. Late evening shower + late evening shave + eucalyptus mint after a hot day - can’t ask for more. Blade was as smooth as a shark can be. 2 1/2 passes. BBS. Feeling really comfortable right now in the face zone.

10/10

I think I conquered the Shark week.

Top Bottom