What's new

Our 2nd, 10-Week B&B Bullseye Session Starts on May 30, 2022

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Why don't you just go ahead and jump in now even if you can't post 10 scores. You'll still be able to track progress and generate an average score.

I have been reading a lot of your pointers and tips on placing cardboard behind the targets, aligning target with barrel, proper stance, breathing, resting the gun barrel between shots etc, for one handed. Once the dot is sighted in I’ll spend the remaining weeks of the second session getting my feet and technique under me and will be ready to join in come the 3rd session? Will there be a 3rd session? :)
A 3d session sounds good to me. You don't have to wait and you don't have to make up the weeks you missed. Jump in! The waters fine!

On my phone. I see you've already been invited.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
A 3d session sounds good to me. You don't have to wait and you don't have to make up the weeks you missed. Jump in! The waters fine!

On my phone. I see you've already been invited.

Just got out of the range and sitting in my car in the parking lot on my phone also. :)

So I first sighted in my Vortex Venom with some Federal bulk match stuff.

82B11598-80A0-425C-8563-0754675F85C1.jpeg

Then I followed the app timer I got from Bob.

These are the first and only targets. No warm up or practice targets, I went straight for it, jumping in the deep end of the pool right after sighting in. Figure Ima gunna sink or swim. :)

Slow fire: I noted the shot placements, but I did so surprisingly well, I thought, I’m just going to post the target and let y’all score it for me.

EC1118D2-2FC9-4252-8CEA-CAEE62CD0BCD.jpeg

Slow fire and rapid fire surprised me the other way. Nowhere near as well as the slow fire rounds.

I have 3 or 4 reasons I think I didn’t shoot them as well, but I thought, nope, no excuses.

I’m pretty stunned that I shot slow fire better than timed or rapid because on my practice targets last trip, it was the total opposite way around.

Man! Was that dot wobblin’ all over the place or what? Made me want to go back to irons.

B38B3AB6-216B-4E5F-881B-0CE5FBC1D0D4.jpeg

E9E4BCD3-5E5C-4471-A2B5-C94C14EE6547.jpeg

Oh yeah, I shot everything 2-hand cuz I sure ain’t ready to shoot with just one hand. :(

Attachments

• 25C145C5-4B7C-413C-BD75-0EF359646787.jpeg
    25C145C5-4B7C-413C-BD75-0EF359646787.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Just got out of the range and sitting in my car in the parking lot on my phone also. :)

So I first sighted in my Vortex Venom with some Federal bulk match stuff.

View attachment 1492363

Then I followed the app timer I got from Bob.

These are the first and only targets. No warm up or practice targets, I went straight for it, jumping in the deep end of the pool right after sighting in. Figure Ima gunna sink or swim. :)

Slow fire: I noted the shot placements, but I did so surprisingly well, I thought, I’m just going to post the target and let y’all score it for me.

View attachment 1492367

Slow fire and rapid fire surprised me the other way. Nowhere near as well as the slow fire rounds.

I have 3 or 4 reasons I think I didn’t shoot them as well, but I thought, nope, no excuses.

I’m pretty stunned that I shot slow fire better than timed or rapid because on my practice targets last trip, it was the total opposite way around.

Man! Was that dot wobblin’ all over the place or what? Made me want to go back to irons.

View attachment 1492371
View attachment 1492374

Oh yeah, I shot everything 2-hand cuz I sure ain’t ready to shoot with just one hand. :(
I'm shooting two-hand too.

Here's how I scored your round. (I used the target title for the timed and rapid targets)
I used the Bullseye Match app to generate this scoring report.

Session 20220722-1902
Date 7/22/2022
Time 7:02 PM
Description
Match 300 @ 50ft
Target Score Shots
Slow B2 82 10 10 10 9 9 8 8 8 6 4
Timed B3 69/0X 10 9 8 8 8 7 7 6 6 M
Rapid B3 88/0X 10 10 9 9 9 9 9 8 8 7
Total 239/0X ✓
Notes

239 is a very respectable score. The old timers in my league say anything around 150 is a great first round. Well Done!

That slow-fire target is impressive!

OkieStubble

I'm shooting two-hand too.

Here's how I scored your round. (I used the target title for the timed and rapid targets)
I used the Bullseye Match app to generate this scoring report.

Session 20220722-1902
Date 7/22/2022
Time 7:02 PM
Description
Match 300 @ 50ft
Target Score Shots
Slow B2 82 10 10 10 9 9 8 8 8 6 4
Timed B3 69/0X 10 9 8 8 8 7 7 6 6 M
Rapid B3 88/0X 10 10 9 9 9 9 9 8 8 7
Total 239/0X ✓
Notes

239 is a very respectable score. The old timers in my league say anything around 150 is a great first round. Well Done!

That slow-fire target is impressive!

Thanks for the scores Bob! :)

I’m telling ya, when I pulled that slow target in and looked at it, my jaw it the floor, cuz at 50 ft, These old eyes can’t see any details in the target, it just looks like a small black hole hanging out there. And that red dot sure does emphasize every single movement and shake you make.

Just as I was beginning my slow fire, the first round out of the barrel, my support hand thumb gets caught in the left front portion is the slide slamming home against the frame, and bit off a small chunk of the inside part of my thumb pad that sits against the frame. I was bleeding all over the pistol for that ten minutes of slow fire. The gun got very slick to hold with my blood all over the left side of it, but I was determined to take the entire 10 minutes shooting the slow fire segment. I’m glad it paid off.

I went and got a band- and wrapped it up tight, and then shot the timed portion. My first 5 shots were all in black, but I had 10 seconds left on the timer. So I probably shot that first 5 more rapid fire then timed.

The second 5 shots of timed fire, I was determined to take that 20 seconds. I shot the 5 trying to take my time and had 3 seconds left on the timer. Took 17 seconds and all 5 shots were in the white. Think long, think wrong? :)

I thought my rapid fire segment was the worst, which I feel hurt my overall scores. I think I just broke my mental concentration which affected my trigger control. I won’t make excuses, buuuuutttt, I could feel the middle of my spine and back starting to ache with fatigue.

But it was definitely more of just a breakdown in concentration and shooting finger discipline.

I did start to begin noticing the small things about how the trigger feels. I don’t have enough experience with this trigger or any other match trigger in order to differentiate or discern or compare if it’s good to go as is, or if it needs some type of improvement.

Hopefully time will tell. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I also find that this shooting discipline makes you acutely aware of every nuance of the trigger and it takes a while to interpret the feedback and incorporate it into getting the best trigger pull. Both of my pistols have great triggers and within a couple of ounces of the same pull weight, but they are very different. The Volquartsen is a smooth curved trigger with NO creep, and it just "goes off" when enough pressure is applied. A true "surprise" trigger break. The Tandemkross is a straight textured blade with only the very slightest mount of creep, not always even felt, and there is more of a definite "wall" before the trigger breaks.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I also find that this shooting discipline makes you acutely aware of every nuance of the trigger and it takes a while to interpret the feedback and incorporate it into getting the best trigger pull. Both of my pistols have great triggers and within a couple of ounces of the same pull weight, but they are very different. The Volquartsen is a smooth curved trigger with NO creep, and it just "goes off" when enough pressure is applied. A true "surprise" trigger break. The Tandemkross is a straight textured blade with only the very slightest mount of creep, not always even felt, and there is more of a definite "wall" before the trigger breaks.

Nicely said. My Buckmark trigger accidentally set off a few times by accident, but not because it’s so light, I think it’s probably because of years yanking on a Glock trigger has turned my pointy finger into a brute that lacks judgment and perception of a truly short stroked match trigger.

Lol’d. A trigger with no creep takes some gettin’ used too! :)

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Since I forgot to put timed and rapid fire targets in my bag I just focused on slow fire today. I played with the red dot just a little and focused on limp wristing. I definitely improved each group of 5. Now can I keep it up when it counts. 😁
5C14E5BB-25BD-4AEE-838B-9C8D73C6396D.jpeg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I shot this morning but couldn't get out of the 70's on any of my targets and I shot several slow fire targets. So, unless I shoot a better score this evening, I'll have to go with 236-1X, definitely sub-par for me, even one hand only, blah.
Slow 78
Timed 77 -1X, M
Rapid 79

Last edited:
I shot a great practice slow fire of nine rounds: 5 tens, 3 nines, and 1 eight. I shot nine rounds because I had a dud last time out and I can't handle box counts that aren't divisible by 5.

When I shot for real I ended up with a straight-up 245. My rapid-fire left a lot to be desired. Had lots of nines but almost no tens and no X's.

OkieStubble

Slow B2: 81
Timed B3: 85-1X
Rapid B3: 78

Total: 244-1X

So my question is, do we always follow the timer?

Do we or should we try to take up most if not all of the 10 minutes during slow fire?

Or the same with the 20 seconds during timed? This is definitely tougher then what I thought it would be. :)

And when beginning to shoot one hand, is timed fire the best place to shoot one hand? I’ve noticed some shooting one handed during timed fire?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
When shooting for score, I always use the timer, unless my practice target turns in a good score. If I'm practicing Slow fire, I just count to 30 or 45 seconds before raising the pistol and taking the shot. That way I don't waste time waiting for all the range commands. When using the timer, I'm usually done by 8 to 9 min. on average, but I try to use most of the time. I don't practice Timed or Rapid fire per se. If I'm shooting a practice Slow fire and I see that I've thrown a couple of shots halfway through the string and won't score well, I fire the rest of the shots rapid and start over. When shooting Timed and Rapid for score, I try to use most of the time. I try to practice a shooting cadence that helps me use most if not all of the time. I raise my pistol for the first shot right after the last command so that I'm ready to pull the trigger when the buzzer goes off. For Timed fire, my cadence is like "Bang-two-three-four-Bang...etc." and for Rapid it is "Bang -two-three-Bang".
I'm shooting everything one handed, so I can't comment on which course of fire it is best to shoot one handed. Slow fire is the hardest and most fatiguing, and with my shoulder issues, I feel that is the one I need to practice most one handed. YMMV.
So, to clarify, as soon as I shoot a good Slow fire target, I shoot my Timed and Rapid-fire targets. So even if I don't use the timer for Slow, by counting up to 45 sec. between shots, I'm using most of the allotted time without going over the time limit. But I always use the timer for Timed and Rapid for score.

Last edited:
Top Bottom