What's new

The Veg: Roll call

I recently got a small bottle of Pinaud Lilac Vegetal, just had to try it and see if I was "chosen". I shaved, of course, and splashed a liberal amount on my face and neck. Didn't detect the "cat urine" that many complain about, but after dry-down, I was left with a slightly unpleasant floral scent that did remind me of a funeral home. You know, smells like flowers, but somehow...wrong.

Not sure if I'm done with it, but I admit that I washed it off and used something else, which I take as a strong indication that I am NOT one of the chosen.

I know there are other threads about the Veg, but most are years old, and when I read them many of the members are no longer active (obviously some are). Just wanted to get a feel of current members, old and new, that have tried the Veg, and their result.

So, have you tried Lilac Vegetal, and do you continue to use it?

Last note: I know this thread could have gone in the Aftershave forum, but thought putting it here would reach a larger target. If the mods disagree, please feel free to move it.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I recently got a small bottle of Pinaud Lilac Vegetal, just had to try it and see if I was "chosen". I shaved, of course, and splashed a liberal amount on my face and neck. Didn't detect the "cat urine" that many complain about, but after dry-down, I was left with a slightly unpleasant floral scent that did remind me of a funeral home. You know, smells like flowers, but somehow...wrong.

I know there are other threads about the Veg, but most are years old, and when I read them many of the members are no longer active (obviously some are). Just wanted to get a feel of current members, old and new, that have tried the Veg, and their result.

Not sure if I'm done with it, but I admit that I washed it off and used something else, which I take as a strong indication that I am NOT one of the chosen.

So, have you tried Lilac Vegetal, and do you continue to use it?

Last note: I know this thread could have gone in the Aftershave forum, but thought putting it here would reach a larger target. If the mods disagree, please feel free to move it.
It's the only aftershave I have ever poured down the drain. I am not one of the chosen.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think in Aftershaves, you're more likely to get answers from people who have actually tried it, and less from people who have not but are happy to share "what they heard".
Having said that - The Veg is a staple aftershave for me. There is a floral note to it, and lilac scents have been associated with funerals and bathroom deodorizers for decades. That doesn't mean that Lilac Vegetal smells like funerals or bathrooms, it means that the scent was pleasant enough that some people thought it would be good to use as a distracting smell for those arenas.
For me, the Veg is most strongly associated with a very earthy, peaty smell, like a forest floor that is really great. There's just enough floral to offset the earthy smell from being overpowering, and brings it up a level or two from a very heavy scent.
I don't care for it much directly in the plastic bottle and put it in glass. I think there is some reaction with the plastic and air which is offputting to some folks.
It's certainly not a universally loved classic, but it has been in production long enough to confirm that there are PLENTY of people who are chosen and who do like it.
Manufacturers do not continue to make what people do not buy.

Count me among those who like and use it. I don't know about using it as an all over body splash as suggested on the bottle, but that's mostly because of what I hear others say about the fragrance.

I think in Aftershaves, you're more likely to get answers from people who have actually tried it, and less from people who have not but are happy to share "what they heard".
Having said that - The Veg is a staple aftershave for me. There is a floral note to it, and lilac scents have been associated with funerals and bathroom deodorizers for decades. That doesn't mean that Lilac Vegetal smells like funerals or bathrooms, it means that the scent was pleasant enough that some people thought it would be good to use as a distracting smell for those arenas.
For me, the Veg is most strongly associated with a very earthy, peaty smell, like a forest floor that is really great. There's just enough floral to offset the earthy smell from being overpowering, and brings it up a level or two from a very heavy scent.
It's certainly not a universally loved classic, but it has been in production long enough to confirm that there are PLENTY of people who are chosen and who do like it.

Scents are strong memory triggers, and as such, for me anyway, the entire time I was wearing the Vegetal, I couldn't stop associating it with a funeral home.

It wasn't something I decided, but an uncontrolled sensory trigger. Maybe it isn't necessarily unpleasant, but for me, it strongly reminded me of an unpleasant place/situation.

My other aftershaves take me to a much happier place...and no, I'm not a "safe space" kind of guy. 😄

And I have seen, and love the video. It was one of the reasons I finally bought a bottle. I really wanted to be one of the Marlboro men of shaving, but it may not be in my stars.

I don't care for it much directly in the plastic bottle and put it in glass. I think there is some reaction with the plastic and air which is offputting to some folks.

That video is too funny. I have been meaning to determine if I am chosen. I need to get one of those little bottles.

I decant mine into a glass bottle with a stopper. I just ordered another 2-pak of 12 ouncers, don't want to run out. (I had to restrain myself from buying a whole case). I use it probably 4 or 5 days a week and Mrs. Scandalous loves it, even splashes some on her wrists from time to time to freshen up... she's not a fragrance wearer, otherwise.

This guy towards the end of the video goes into the whole plastic versus glass issue and explains it pretty well.

A few thoughts:

It's hilarious that all of the women seem to like the Veg, but Darryl and Darryl seem much less enthusiastic.

As the household litter box maintainer, I know cat p*ss, and it doesn't smell like any aftershave.

I am going to decant my bottle to glass, and try again.

I've been using it for years since hearing about it on B&B. Initially, I didn't care for it in the plastic but never got the cat urine odor. However, once e decanted into a glass bottle I get all of the lilacs and powdery scent. I splash it on as an aftershave and sometimes just because. :Veg::Veg::Veg:

marty

Last edited:
I've not tried the Gabels (actually never heard of it) but I've tried the other two. They do smell of lilac, but for me it's just a floral scent which is not my cup o' tea. They lack that earthy, mossy, loamy scent that LV has.
I agree. Although I like florals, I like them to have something to balance them out. The vegetal aspect is what makes this one special.

Ha, I didn't know I was going to be spending my breakfast reading about the veg! I got a sample of several Pinaud from Maggards on Saturday and LV was in there. Knowing that this isn't a modern artisan strength product, I was surprisingly unafraid to apply it liberally. It's definitely my favourite of the Clubman line, but there is something in there that is giving me a light headache. Not wash it off bad, but I wouldn't buy it because of that. So here I am shopping for alternatives that I didn't know I needed! :letterk1:

I've been using it for years since hearing about it on B&B. Initially, I didn't care for it in the plastic but never got the cat urine odor. However, once e decanted into a glass bottle I get all of the lilacs and powdery scent. I splash it on as an aftershave and sometimes just because. :Veg::Veg::Veg:

marty
FTFY Marty. :wink2:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I love the Veg and the Veg loves me! I get a floral lilac scent from it and SWMBO likes it, which works out well. For the record, I decant mine into glass and I think it helps the scent. :Veg::Veg::Veg:
I wonder if Doc Watson ever tried it? :biggrin1:

Wet baby diaper.
That was my same reaction. Not cat urine, but definitely a wet diaper vibe. My wife said I was crazy. Now I have company!

I've got a bottle, but never could get myself to use it. It's just too much powder scent to it. I also think that the regular clubman has too much powder and gave it away.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Admittedly, I bought a bottle...because my wife saw it when I was checking out some Pinaud stuff and she asked me to buy it...for her. So I did...never having used it myself. So when it arrived, we were both excited. But after we both smelled it, we both decided...it just wasn't for us.

But for those of you who use and like it...I'm happy for you. It's one of those classic Pinaud products that will never die. And we love Pinaud for that.

Top Bottom