What's new

Camp ovens

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I know there are several outdoor Dutch oven cooks here (Yeah, I'm lookin' @DoctorShavegood) and thought I'd start a thread. Post pics of your cooks and maybe recipes. We'll see what happens.

1648076973141.png

Chuck roast

1648074369337.png

Marinade overnight in Zesty Italian Dressing. Cook in about a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes per pound on a trivet until done.

Scalloped potatoes.

1648077356304.png

4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated cheese to sprinkle on top

Melt butter in a small pan and blend in flour
Let sit for a minute
Add all of cold milk, stirring with a whisk
Season with salt
Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling stirring occasionally with whisk
Reduce heat and stir in cheese
Place half of the sliced potatoes in the lightly greased Dutch oven
Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes
Repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce
Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top

Cook in about a 350 degree Dutch oven for about an hour, until potatoes are soft.

Broccoli casserole

1648077463289.png

1 stick margarine
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 stalks chopped celery
1 cup bread crumbs
6 ounces Velveeta cheese with 1 teaspoon garlic powder mixed in
2 boxes chopped broccoli
1 can mushroom soup
1 small can mushrooms
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In an 8 inch Dutch oven, brown onion, celery, and mushrooms lightly in margarine. Put in broccoli and simmer 15 minutes. Add soup, cheese, salt and pepper, and stir until melted. Put bread crumbs on top and bake about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Attachments

• 1648074621431.png
    1648074621431.png
    567.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 1648075759628.png
    1648075759628.png
    735.2 KB · Views: 5

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That was a while back and my CRS is flaring up right now :)

We are camping with a bunch of Dutch oven friends in a couple of weeks at a lake East of here. Always lots of good grub at those meetups.

Pics...copious amounts of pics.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've got to get cracking on the outdoor fireplace. Spring and fall are the times I can cook outdoors in the Dutch ovens. Summer around here is drier than a popcorn fart and the fire danger is too high.

Typical fare is stew, biscuits and pie.

O.H.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've got to get cracking on the outdoor fireplace. Spring and fall are the times I can cook outdoors in the Dutch ovens. Summer around here is drier than a popcorn fart and the fire danger is too high.

Typical fare is stew, biscuits and pie.

O.H.

I was going to do a loaf of bread pretty soon, but we are supposed to have high wind gusts the next few days, then a couple of days of rain. I have a covered porch and a carport, but the wind could still be a problem. Have to wait a bit.

Here's a cobbler from quite awhile back...haven't used photobucket in years.

Cherry pie filling getting warm in the little 8 inch DO (6 coals on bottom) while the lid is getting preheated (10 coals on top)...21 oz. can of cherry pie filling.

Topped with 1 1/2 cups of Bisquick mixed with 2/3 cup milk...then a few pats of butter.

This DO cooking is hard work.

I think we are done after about 35 minutes total...pulled it off the bottom coals after 20 minutes and let it cook with just coals on top for another 15 minutes.

OMG this is good.

And a more recent Apple pie filling one:

1648244726660.png

1648245073999.png

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have NO IDEA how I missed this thread; I LIVE on Badger and Blade!

My friends, this is astounding. Thank you ALL for your posts.

As @oc_in_fw said, there is something about the Appalachia....half of the blood in my veins originated there.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have NO IDEA how I missed this thread; I LIVE on Badger and Blade!

My friends, this is astounding. Thank you ALL for your posts.

As @oc_in_fw said, there is something about the Appalachia....half of the blood in my veins originated there.
I’ll probably retire somewhere up there. Texas is just getting too hot.

FarmerTan

I’ll probably retire somewhere up there. Texas is just getting too hot.
That was our goal. But my family in Tennessee and Kentucky would advise against it! One of them has told me he won't spend another summer there!

I have decided to fix up the shack I live in here in Michigan. We are beginning to have seasons again.....at least, compared to the REST of the USA, sadly.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That was our goal. But my family in Tennessee and Kentucky would advise against it! One of them has told me he won't spend another summer there!

I have decided to fix up the shack I live in here in Michigan. We are beginning to have seasons again.....at least, compared to the REST of the USA, sadly.
I love Michigan, but as a native Buckeye you know what team I root for. Michigan might run me out. :)

On edit: funny how one letter can change the whole meaning of a sentence.

FarmerTan

I love Michigan, but as a native Buckeye you know what team I root for. Michigan might run me out. :)

On edit: funny how one letter can change the whole meaning of a sentence.
There is a BETTER skool in East Lansing..... My Dad loved Woody Hays. LoL, he OWNED Bo Schembechler.

I root for tOSU whenever they aren't playing MSU. You guys will be tough. Again. UM might be .500, lol.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile

A little to the north of Kentucky is pretty nice. I have family in Morgantown, WV, and my mother was from Sutton. I also have family next to the mountains in Charlottesville, and that is awfully nice. We are in Austin, baking.

Top Bottom