What's new

Lambda Athena

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yeah, your razor blades won’t fit in this so it wouldn’t work for you.

I must say I am enjoying my Stando Polska ‘Single Edge’ razor, though (the grey one). And the handle I chose is very groovy indeed. The bronze one is the Stando ‘Rod’ and I don’t like it as much - lots less efficient and not really much milder feeling.

View attachment 1484336
Yeah, looks like the Bronze one is really specific as to blade angle....

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Stando makes awesome razors. Wish he would be a magpie like me, the satin/whatever blasted finish is often what is holding me back. I like polished or machined. Matte finish held me back from buying a Tatara for years e.g..

Stando makes awesome razors. Wish he would be a magpie like me, the satin/whatever blasted finish is often what is holding me back. I like polished or machined. Matte finish held me back from buying a Tatara for years e.g..
I believe unfortunately his finishes are dictated by the limited equipment he has access to. All personal preference but mine has a lovely silky feel and the finish is really grippy even where the surface is flat. I rather like it, though, like you, I usually gravitate toward polished razors. But if you don’t like it then you don’t like it.

By the way, for @Phoenixkh, I’m not trying to say you should get one. I think it may be equal to the Claymore but not better. As you know, that’s praise. I haven’t yet found any single edge razor that I like better than the Claymore, and I am not expecting to.

Anyway, apologies, I don’t want to veer off topic, especially as I am a fan of the Lambda.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Anyway, apologies, I don’t want to veer off topic, especially as I am a fan of the Lambda.
No worries, the Lambda gets enough sunshine already! :)
I have a Stando Chors with fitting stand and an extra Svarga handle, but found the spiraled one fits nicely already. You are right, electropolishing is not feasible/economical for small batch runs, unfortunately.

Ordered at noon on Thursday and received at 11:15 AM on Saturday, The Razor Company and UPS got it done right!

Looks even better in person. My first thought was "magnificent". The case, the razor, just wow. First shave is coming up tomorrow morning.

Gotta share some pics -

L case.jpg

L cseopn.jpg

L1.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Ordered at noon on Thursday and received at 11:15 AM on Saturday, The Razor Company and UPS got it done right!

Looks even better in person. My first thought was "magnificent". The case, the razor, just wow. First shave is coming up tomorrow morning.

Gotta share some pics -

View attachment 1485298
View attachment 1485299
View attachment 1485300
That has to be one of nicest looking razors and the design is what I like because it has a closed comb effect that is very strong and the shave that it gives is very smooth according to "Dave from Kentucky" on Youtube who likes the shave and Dave has used almost any vintage razor under the sun & lots of modern razors. The presentation is outstanding with the box IMO. I was thinking of buying one but $300 Canadian with the exchange rate & shipping is to much for me at the moment.
Enjoy!

It really looks like a nice razor and I wish more so called ''high-end'' razor manufacturers take notes and make an attempt to come up with something better than cardboard boxes on their razors. I mean, if I pay around $100 for a razor, it wouldn't be a huge problem if the it's in cardboard box, but for anything above $150 is a joke to be honest.

The razor has an interesting design, which kinda reminds me of R41 to some degree, but I think it might be a bit too mild for my taste. I will keep an eye on this one as well and see how it goes after the initial hype evaporates.

I thought a zero blade exposure , from what I heard, isn't gonna to what I look for.
Those are some sweet looking razors though, top looking gear.

I hope all that get them really get great shaves and enjoy such nice gear.

I thought a zero blade exposure , from what I heard, isn't gonna to what I look for.
Those are some sweet looking razors though, top looking gear.

I hope all that get them really get great shaves and enjoy such nice gear.
You would be surprised, though, how efficient it is, and how much feedback it gives. And the Karve Overlander has zero blade exposure and is even a bit more efficient. I am a blade-feel and high efficiency razor guy but I have also come to appreciate some of these very efficient mild razors that are appearing, when my skin doesn’t feel ready for a scraping, but I still want a completely smooth shave that will be long lasting enough to satisfy me.

I like both types of razor equally these days. Used to be that I could never find a milder razor that gave me a satisfying shave, and they always frustrated me how numb the shave felt. Some of these new razors are not like that.

It really looks like a nice razor and I wish more so called ''high-end'' razor manufacturers take notes and make an attempt to come up with something better than cardboard boxes on their razors. I mean, if I pay around $100 for a razor, it wouldn't be a huge problem if the it's in cardboard box, but for anything above $150 is a joke to be honest.

The razor has an interesting design, which kinda reminds me of R41 to some degree, but I think it might be a bit too mild for my taste. I will keep an eye on this one as well and see how it goes after the initial hype evaporates.
I hate boxes normally, and especially presentation cases that take up space but make you feel they are too expensively made to throw them out. This one from Lambda is nice, but I only like the box because I really like the razor and it seems worthy of a nice box. And this box isn’t too big - it is larger than the neat metal cases some premium old Gillettes came with, but not much bigger. Wouldn’t fit in a pocket, though.

If all razors came in presentation boxes I would stop buying new razors pretty quickly.

I’ll admit that if I didn’t have to buy the case, I wouldn’t have. But it fits my situation well. Tiny bathroom for four people. Just tuck it into the back of a cabinet.

You would be surprised, though, how efficient it is, and how much feedback it gives. And the Karve Overlander has zero blade exposure and is even a bit more efficient. I am a blade-feel and high efficiency razor guy but I have also come to appreciate some of these very efficient mild razors that are appearing, when my skin doesn’t feel ready for a scraping, but I still want a completely smooth shave that will be long lasting enough to satisfy me.

I like both types of razor equally these days. Used to be that I could never find a milder razor that gave me a satisfying shave, and they always frustrated me how numb the shave felt. Some of these new razors are not like that.
That does seem nice. Although I watched the sell on The Razor Co site and passed. I still want to try one just because of the great reviews.

First shave went well. I used a Wizamet SI on its 2nd use. I'd call it on the high side of mild as far as aggressiveness but it is very efficient. Maybe not a good comparison but I'd say it's like a Game Changer .68-P in aggressiveness but a Game Changer .84-P in efficiency. And it rinses immediately, wins the best rinser award.

Only one shave in but I don't think it's going to knock the Blackbird off my top spot as far as shaving results but it may be tied with my Timeless for second place. It definitely wins the beauty contest though. The color of that bronze alloy is amazing.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
First shave went well. I used a Wizamet SI on its 2nd use. I'd call it on the high side of mild as far as aggressiveness but it is very efficient. Maybe not a good comparison but I'd say it's like a Game Changer .68-P in aggressiveness but a Game Changer .84-P in efficiency. And it rinses immediately, wins the best rinser award.

Only one shave in but I don't think it's going to knock the Blackbird off my top spot as far as shaving results but it may be tied with my Timeless for second place. It definitely wins the beauty contest though. The color of that bronze alloy is amazing.
You can always slip one of these Kai SS blades in the razor if you desire more blade feel because it is a little wider than a average Gillette blade by 9/1000 of inch or 4.5/1000 of a inch per side. The blade is sharp & smooth with excellent longevity. I have over 100 shaves on these blades & recommend it for fellows who enjoy little more blade feel. They have a good deal on Amazon for them at the moment.
YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide-2.jpg

I was curious about the symbol on the case and on the razor that is below the word "Athena". I know Athena is the daughter of Zeus but could not find out anything about that symbol, so I sent a message to Theodoros and he responded quickly with this explanation and even provided a picture:

The symbol you see below the Athena word, is just the side profile of the razor head.
It resembles a bit the face of an owl and as you might know, the owl was the symbol of Goddess Athena.

Lambda.jpeg

Here's a picture of the symbol on my case -

Athena.jpg

I was curious about the symbol on the case and on the razor that is below the word "Athena". I know Athena is the daughter of Zeus but could not find out anything about that symbol, so I sent a message to Theodoros and he responded quickly with this explanation and even provided a picture:

The symbol you see below the Athena word, is just the side profile of the razor head.
It resembles a bit the face of an owl and as you might know, the owl was the symbol of Goddess Athena.

View attachment 1486759

Here's a picture of the symbol on my case -

View attachment 1486760
Interesting. I had figured out that it was a picture of the side view of the razor head - and that’s distinctive because of the unique water channels - but it would never have occurred to me to ask if the design had any other significance.

Not sure I really see an owl face, though. But if Theo says it was part of the design process and it resembles an owl then it does.

Top Bottom