What's new

The BRGAS (Back Roads Gold Appreciation Society)

Gold is gold, but the silver color options include Palladium and Nickel. The Factory Nickel finish will look like a brand new unused razor. IMO he mirror nickel is a little too ahiney. Palladium is a harder metal, but I've read that it can crack.
Best to e-mail [email protected] and ask for his expert advice.
It's a hard decision. One minute I want it gold then the next I want it Palladium.

I get that Palladium "could" crack.... But really?? I can't see Chris offering it as an option if he didn't believe he could plate with it correctly.

I don't know. Maybe I'm naive when it comes to this stuff. Either way, I'm really torn.

It's a hard decision. One minute I want it gold then the next I want it Palladium.

I get that Palladium "could" crack.... But really?? I can't see Chris offering it as an option if he didn't believe he could plate with it correctly.

I don't know. Maybe I'm naive when it comes to this stuff. Either way, I'm really torn.
I didn't mean that Palladium was a bad choice. I just read an opinion telling that Palladium was a harder materiel. I have razors in both Palladium and nickel & they look idenbtical to me. IMO, nickel would be my choice for any future work.
If you have more than one razor, consider one in Gold and the other in Nickel or Palladium.
IMG_20220405_115526.jpg

I'm working on refurbing some razors & sent in a box of stuff to Chris It arrived at his PO Box last Saturday. I hadn't expected to see any work on it on his website for several days, but I got an e-mail today that he had already completed the work.
For the excellent level of the work Chris does, it's amazing how quickly his turnaround time can be.
IMG_20220705_103355.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
A buddy of mine restores muscle cars, mostly 70s Mopar. His cars have been spotlighted in magazines, and been on the covers of some. He's had cars in the running as finalists at Autorama in Detroit.

He doesn't paint, but has spent $40k or more on paint jobs for these cars, and the paint is a far cry from original. The originals have visible orange peel, while the restorations are mirror smooth. Stunning really.

Likewise, these restored razors are much nicer than new. The plating is a true plating rather than a thin wash, and brilliantly polished. Of course we can't forget that the originals cost under two bucks.
Consider that most of those 70's Mopars cost under $3k brand new. I have a 67 'stang with a paint job that cost me $7k over 20 years ago.

~doug~

'Bulldog G'

• Some time ago I bought this 'Bulldog' as a part of a lot

• It had every "problem" possible, but I couldn't see any cracks, so I thought let's try save this historic piece

• Scratches, no plating, skewed head and bent teeth. I thought Chris at 'BRG' could use a challenge 😅

• I think the result speaks for itself and then there were two 😁

View attachment 1479994View attachment 1479995View attachment 1479996View attachment 1479997View attachment 1479998View attachment 1479999View attachment 1480000View attachment 1480001
I'm afraid of bent teeth. I'd heard too many horror stories about teeth snapping off when any attempt is made to fix them. After seeing this post and those ugly teeth (I love that handle), I took a chance & bought a Senator with slightly bent end teeth. They're not nearly all that bad, but normally I would pass. The razor arrived in the mail today & looks better than I expected.

I'm working on refurbing some razors & sent in a box of stuff to Chris It arrived at his PO Box last Saturday. I hadn't expected to see any work on it on his website for several days, but I got an e-mail today that he had already completed the work.
For the excellent level of the work Chris does, it's amazing how quickly his turnaround time can be.View attachment 1483435
All this stuff arrived in the mail today after Chris did his magic.
Here's what I've assembled so far:
New Ball End for Goodwill.jpg

Nickel Old Type.jpg

I just got my completion e-mail from Chris with the photos below of the latest work he's done for me. He replated my 1958 D3 Executive (which was pretty good before I sent it to him) and my 1940 Milord (which was in pretty bad shape). The Milord was a hidden gem buried a lot of 41 razors that I paid far too much money to buy on eBay. The photos below also include some before photos of the Milord. Let's just say that I had to give it a very thorough scrub before I recognized the razor as a Milord.

My Milord after I gave it a good bath but BEFORE Chris Spencer applied his magic:

PXL_20220617_225713029.jpg

PXL_20220617_225729041.MP.jpg

And both razors AFTER Chris Spencer's magic.

IMG_20220712_133341.jpg

IMG_20220712_133332.jpg
IMG_20220712_133352.jpg

I'm so thankful that Chris does what he does. What a gift to this community. I say we plan a road trip to Wyoming to give him a hug (or a hearty handshake if you prefer) :applause:

Wow.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just got my completion e-mail from Chris with the photos below of the latest work he's done for me. He replated my 1958 D3 Executive (which was pretty good before I sent it to him) and my 1940 Milord (which was in pretty bad shape). The Milord was a hidden gem buried a lot of 41 razors that I paid far too much money to buy on eBay. The photos below also include some before photos of the Milord. Let's just say that I had to give it a very thorough scrub before I recognized the razor as a Milord.

My Milord after I gave it a good bath but BEFORE Chris Spencer applied his magic:

View attachment 1486992
View attachment 1486993

And both razors AFTER Chris Spencer's magic.

View attachment 1486991
View attachment 1486994View attachment 1486995

I'm so thankful that Chris does what he does. What a gift to this community. I say we plan a road trip to Wyoming to give him a hug (or a hearty handshake if you prefer) :applause:

Wow.
Holy Moly.... beautifully finished. You must be stoked.... congrats.

Just a heads up that Chris has sold the Frannie, WY home & shop. According to his website, he'll be moving closer (to be able to torment his grandkids).
He said that you can e-mail him to get notification when his new shop will be open for business.
Thank you for that ShaverAZ, email sent. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
The Executive and the Milord have arrived. Chris does the type of work that leaves me in awe, honestly. I have a few really mint untouched razors and the ones that Chris overhauls blow those away from a shear quality finish perspective. He even polished the top of the reverse threaded locking screw buried deep in the handle of the Milord. The guy is just a master craftsman 🙇‍♂️
PXL_20220715_175729920.jpg
I can't wait to shave with these.

I also hope he's back up and running soon because I've got stuff for him. More importantly, I hope his move goes smoothly.

Last edited:
SOTD sharing my BRG plated Gillette Flat Bottom Tech's promotion:
SOTD-BRG-P_2022-07-15.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 16/47 Silvertip D01
Soap: Phoenix Scentsless
Razor: Gillette Flat Bottom Tech GT
Blade: Gillette Rubie (8)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

A superb shave. :biggrin:

My BRG plated FBT just pushed my NEW RFB off the Number One spot they were sharing… the BRG work and plating has definitely made it "better than new."
After a long rest my tiny butterscotch D01 was fab (feather soft but with good backbone, and a lather monster to boot).

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
SOTD sharing my BRG plated Gillette Flat Bottom Tech's promotion:
SOTD-BRG-P_2022-07-15.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 16/47 Silvertip D01
Soap: Phoenix Scentsless
Razor: Gillette Flat Bottom Tech GT
Blade: Gillette Rubie (8)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

A superb shave. :biggrin:

My BRG plated FBT just pushed my NEW RFB off the Number One spot they were sharing… the BRG work and plating has definitely made it "better than new."
After a long rest my tiny butterscotch D01 was fab (feather soft but with good backbone, and a lather monster to boot).

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:
Gorgeous.

Reactions: Cal
Looking forward to joining the club!
I just started dipping my toes into vintage razors and have already acquired 3. One is a 63' Super speed that's in like new condition and doesn't require any work at all. The second is a 74' black handle Super speed in great condition. Third is a Red Tip that I plan on replating with Chris when he gets up and running again. I paid $20 for it! I've never had anything replated and I know other places exist but I've heard nothing but good things about him. So I'd rather wait and have it done right. The razor is to be used in rotation and not a collectors piece so I want to be able to shave with it as if it was new. The issue will be choosing the finish. I like the original nickel but also the gold plated. But I guess I have some time to think about it!
This one:
RT.jpg

Top Bottom