Quest for a better shave

Razor: Stirling Soap Co ST plate (2)
Blade: Lord Platinum Classic (2)
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: Stirling Soap Co Sheep
Aftershave: Cold water rinse; Thayer’s Witch Hazel Aloe Vera Coconut

Let’s make this a Stirling Saturday!

2 small nicks; No irritation; Very close, maybe too close; Very Smooth; Pleasant 3 pass DFS++ shave.

This razor has a large gap and a very good amount of exposure. It is the most efficient razor in the house. Since my facial hair seems to grow in circles, I need more than 2 passes to reduce the stubble to smooth. I’m looking forward to getting to know this razor.

Shave log summary 20220620

Cheers!!!

Shave log summary 20220620

Since this log is getting hard to edit, I will resume with the RazoRock SS Hawk V3 standard plate.
Razor: RazoRock SS Hawk V3 standard plate (16)
Blade: KAI Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (16) 16 shaves on 2 blades

No irritation, no nicks, very close and very smooth shaves.

5 DFS, 10 DFS+, 1 BBS

This combo consistently produces mostly DFS to DFS+ shaves without issue. All are pleasant shaves. Very good shave tool.

Rex Envoy
Gillette Platinum
4 shaves on one blade
1 nick in 4 shaves
No irritation
2 very close and very smooth shaves
2 smooth and close shaves
1 DFS++, 2 DFS+ and 1 DFS Shave 2-1/2 passes.

Blackland Vector
KAI Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG
8 shaves on one blade.
No nicks, no irritation, very close and very smooth shaves. 1 BBS, 1 DFS++ and 6 DFS+ shaves.
Awesome results.

RazoRock Hawk V3 Standard Bamboo Handle
KAI Captain Titan Mild Pink
8 shaves on this blade
3 nicks; No irritation; 5 very close; 3 close; 5 very smooth; 3 smooth; 1 DFS++; 4 DFS+; 3 DFS; this blade gets very close and then I create nicks. Either my technique or blade has to change.

Blackland Vector
8 shaves
7 nicks;
No irritation;
6 very, very close; 2 very close;
2 very, very smooth; 6 very smooth;
2 BBS; 6 DFS+;
I’m getting too close with this combo; Either my technique has to change or the blade has to change.

RazoRock Hawk V3 Standard Bamboo Handle
Schick Proline P-30
8 shaves; 1 nick; No irritation; very close; very smooth; Pleasant DFS+
The 1 nick is attributed to user in attention.
A nice combo that meets my goals.

Blackland Vector
KAI Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG
8 shaves; No nicks; No irritation; 8 very close; 8 very smooth; 8 pleasant; 2 BBS; 1 DFS++; 5 DFS+
At this point 2 Protouch MG blades have been used in 16 shaves with excellent results.

Blackland Vector
1 blade 8 shaves
3 shaves with nicks; 5 shaves with 0 nicks
8 shaves without irritation.
3 shaves Very close and very smooth
5 shaves close and smooth
1 shave DFS++; 7 shaves DFS+

I will be coming back to this combo to see if I can improve my technique making these shaves nick free, very close, very smooth and DFS+.

Blackland Sabre L1
Personna GEM Coated
8 shaves in one blade
No nicks; No irritation; 5 Very Close; 3 Close; 5 Very Smooth; 3 Smooth; 6 DFS+; 2 DFS; 8 Pleasant shaves

Blackland Vector
1 blade 8 shaves
4 nicks; No irritation; 4 very close; 1 Too close; 3 Close; 8 very smooth; 1 DFS++; 7 DFS+

The Blackland Vector is efficient and effective.

Mastery of this combo is pending.

Blackland Vector
9 shaves, 6 nicks, 0 irritation, 9 very close, 9 very smooth, 9 DFS+

This would be perfect if I can get the nicks down.

Blackland Vector
Feather Artist Club Professional Blade

9 shaves on this blade; 1 nick on the first shave; No irritation; Very Close; Very Smooth; Pleasant DFS+ shaves.

Up next
Another Feather AC Professional Blade

Cheers!!!

Razor: Stirling Soap Co ST plate (3)
Blade: Lord Platinum Classic (3)
Aftershave: Cold water rinse; Thayer’s Witch Hazel Aloe Vera Coconut; Stirling Unscented Post Shave Balm

Let’s make this a Stirling Sunday!

1 small nick on the chin; Mild irritation on lower left neck area; Very close; Very Smooth; Pleasant 3 pass DFS+ shave.

I plan to revisit the Stirling after concluding on the Vector.

Shave Log Summary 20220703

Cheers!!!

Razor: Blackland Sabre L1 (11)
Blade: Personna GEM Coated (3)

No nicks; No irritation; close; Very smooth; Pleasant DFS+ result.

I discovered late yesterday that I had shaved too closely with the Stirling SSST and developed a latent rash. Therefore it makes sense to use something a lot less efficient. I’m glad I purchased the Blackland Sabre L1 for conditions like this. One more shave like this one and the face should be ready to resume with the Blackland Vector.

Cheers!!!

Thanks for sharing these reports. I am going down a similar track with Hawk v3, now Vector, and Sabre L1 inbound (with intention of getting L2 plate as well). I am unfortunately one of those individuals where the Vector has not fully clicked. But I am steadily improving technique and getting some of my best and longest lasting BBS to date, although still with the occassional nicks.

@Rocket 1 you are very welcome and thanks for the feedback. I reach a point where I have to try things. Someone else’s best shave combo may be a disaster for me.

With respect to the Vector:
I’m getting too many nicks with the KAI Captain Titan Mild Pink blades. The KAI Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG are good but I was wanting a slightly sharper / smoother blade.
The Schick Proline blades don’t fit my Vector. They work fine in the Hawk Standard.
So far I’ve gotten the best results with the Feather Artist Club Professional blades. 1 nick in 9 shaves and these shaves last all day.
I am far from concluding on the Vector.

The Stirling is so smooth it was so easy to shave too close with it. This could very well be the best 2 pass shaver in the den. Yet TBD.

The Hawk, Rex Envoy and Stirling SS-ST will eventually get a chance.

Cheers!!!

Razor: Blackland Sabre L1 (12)
Blade: Personna GEM Coated (4)

No nicks; No irritation; close; Very smooth; Pleasant DFS+ result.

The Blackland Sabre L1 met my objectives this morning. IMO, the Sabre may take a spot ahead of the Vector. I will have to wait and see, Resuming the Vector blade seek tomorrow.

Cheers!!!

Razor: Blackland Vector (59)
Blade: Feather AC Professional Blade (1)
Pre-Shave: Hot shower
Aftershave: Cold water rinse; Thayer’s Witch Hazel Aloe Vera Coconut; Stirling Sandalwood Post Shave Balm

The first couple of shaves on a new blade are the ones I’m concerned about. The trend has been to create a nick or two.

No nicks; No irritation; Very Close and Very smooth. A pleasant DFS+ steep angle shave. 4 passes with a very light touch.

Fantastic error free shave.

Cheers!!!

Have you contacted Shane? I am using a Schick Proline P-30 in mine, but I did notice it fits tighter than it does in my SE1.

~doug~
I think the blade slots are incorrectly machined. When I get a chance I will put up a photo. I might purchase from another source to pick up another lot.

I could send you one to try in your Vector too. PM the details if you are interested.

Gene

Razor: Blackland Vector (60)
Blade: Feather AC Professional Blade (2)
Aftershave: Cold water rinse; Thayer’s Witch Hazel Aloe Vera Coconut; Stirling Sandalwood Post Shave Balm

No nicks; No irritation; Very Close and Very smooth. A pleasant DFS+ steep angle shave. 4 passes with a very light touch.

Fantastic error free shave. A duplicate of the first shave on this blade. This is one of Blackland’s recommended blades.

Cheers!!!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I think the blade slots are incorrectly machined. When I get a chance I will put up a photo. I might purchase from another source to pick up another lot.

I could send you one to try in your Vector too. PM the details if you are interested.

Gene
The Schick Proline blades do fit my Vector, I do notice they fit very tight. Are you talking about the blade slots on your Proline blades, or the head of your Vector? I have some Feather ProGuard blades that I got with my Feather DX, but haven't tried them in my Vector. I know they do fit my SE1.

~doug~

The Schick Proline blades do fit my Vector, I do notice they fit very tight. Are you talking about the blade slots on your Proline blades, or the head of your Vector? I have some Feather ProGuard blades that I got with my Feather DX, but haven't tried them in my Vector. I know they do fit my SE1.

~doug~
The slots of the Proline Blades. The slot on the right is in the shape of the letter P. When I put this blade in the Vector, the blade will not lay flat. All the non-Proline blades fit the Vector flawlessly. They are tight fits.

7967D53C-9ACE-4ACB-ABD6-15976CF88116.jpeg

Razor: Blackland Vector (61)
Blade: Feather AC Professional Blade (3)
Aftershave: Cold water rinse; Thayer’s Witch Hazel Aloe Vera Coconut;

Fantastic error free shave. A duplicate of the first two shaves on this blade. This blade could be my favorite. Gentle enough I forgot the post shave balm.

Cheers!!!

Razor: Blackland Vector (62)
Blade: Feather AC Professional Blade (4)
Aftershave: Cold water rinse; Thayer’s Witch Hazel Aloe Vera Coconut;

Fantastic error free shave. A duplicate of the first three shaves on this blade. This blade could be my favorite. No reason for the post shave balm.

Cheers!!!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The slots of the Proline Blades. The slot on the right is in the shape of the letter P. When I put this blade in the Vector, the blade will not lay flat. All the non-Proline blades fit the Vector flawlessly. They are tight fits.

View attachment 1484445
I wonder if you got a bad batch of Proline blades. Mine measure and fit the same as my Feather ProGuard blades and sit nice and flush. They are tight, but they fit.

~doug~

I wonder if you got a bad batch of Proline blades. Mine measure and fit the same as my Feather ProGuard blades and sit nice and flush. They are tight, but they fit.

~doug~
This is what I am thinking. I may wait awhile a buy from another source. Maybe get another lot.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I got one batch of P-30 Proline blades direct from Japan, and one batch from Connaught when I got my SE1, they both seem to fit the same. I have thought of trying Kai blades at some point, but as long as they last I wont be needing any AC blades any time soon. (Famous last words)

~doug~

Top Bottom