What's new

trying to locate a scent

Gents, I have smelled something "in the wild" multiple times now, over the past handful of years, that comes off as a very clean, masculine kind of almost - for lack of a better description - "modern fresh deodorant" smell, and for lack of anything else to go on, something about it reminded me of something in the drydown of Mr. Fine's Lavender Pour Homme aftershave, which I love. It also kind of reminded me of those "Black Ice" tree car air fresheners, and came off as a modern version of almost... powderiness without being actually powdery. I cannot figure out what this thing I've smelled (aftershave, deodorant, cologne...???) is, but would love to find some if I can determine what it is. Seems vaguely familiar from the past somehow. Every time I smelled it, it came off as extremely strong - as if the wearer had bathed in it (probably not realizing how powerfully it comes off). And don't worry, if I locate any, I'll try to be careful with it ;). It's not any of the famous drugstore aftershaves, which I already use (not A. Velva classic or Ice Sport or Musk, not any of the Clubmans, not Skin Bracer... seems more possibly artificial-smelling). It also had something that reminded me of 90s aerosol deodorant... but with an oakmoss kind of smell.

I'm sorry I don't have more detail but again, it's something that seems kind of 1990s in its vibe and is just very fresh and clean smelling, almost along the lines of Cool Wave deodorant (but did not remind me of the CW aftershave, to be clear). It did not seem aquatic to me, but was probably synthetic at least in part. Trying to search online using the descriptions I've given here reveals that other people have been looking for something similar, but the answers suggested like Drakkar or A. de Gio were definitely not it. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Last edited:
Have you played around on Fragrantica yet? You can look up scent descriptions of each ingredient and also look through most popular fragrances of all time. Sometimes, leap frogging all over the place gets me to what I am looking for without really knowing how I got there! Sometimes a poster will leave a review and mention something they like better or that is more niche.

I always associate 90s deodorant with Brut, but maybe check CK Eternity? Just a random thought. Maybe it is a modern fougere?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
After reading through the OP's description twice, I immediately thought of Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Fresco.

Top Notes: Herbaceous, Eucalyptus, Citrus, Fresh
Middle Notes: Cardamom, Spicy, Green, Balsam
Bottom Notes: Woody, Patchouli, Mossy& Masculine!

“Fresco is a fine example of just this, an Aromatic Fougère containing Top Notes of Orange, Galbanum, Bergamot, Lime, Lemon, Lavender and Black Currant; Middle Notes of Rose, Cardamom and Lily-of-the-Valley; Base Notes of Patchouli, Opoponax, Cedar, Oakmoss and Ambergris. Herbaceous, Citrusy and Fresh; Spicy, Green, Mossy, Balsamic and Woody!”

Last edited:
Although it's likely not what you smelled, given that it's fairly rare, you might want to try out a sample of Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge. It is the scent on which Mr. Fine modeled his Lavender pour Homme Aftershave. I love O&C, and the Fine AS is a decent approximation.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions! This is a tough one. Was able to smell some Invictus upon your suggestions, but discovered that's not it.

To be clear, it was not aquatic, but smelled like 90s deodorant or aftershave to me. It was inexpensive smelling (not "cheap" as in bad), and I doubt based on context that it was anything very rare or unusual. Did not give me "department store fragrance section" vibes, but more "shaving product/deodorant" vibes" It was an excellent smell but every time I came across it, whoever had applied it was sending off huge clouds of sillage wafting into the air. Also, it was like a modern, artificial "oakmoss" smell that had a clean and straightforward "coolness" quality to it, something that reminded me vaguely of the combination of the drydown of Clubman combined with Cool Wave gel deodorant drydown, if that makes any sense!

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
PAA Fresco is a scent that's an homage to vintage Old Spice Fresh. Don't think Old Spice...its nothing like that at all...its more like a fresh, clean deodorant scent with some mild woodiness. You can smell the lavender in it, but it's not lavender heavy, you can smell the aquatic/deodorant in it, but it's not an aquatic/deodorant. You can detect the oakmoss in it, but it's not heavy oakmoss. It's a well blended scent. Hit Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements website and check out their write up. I bought it because, when I received an order from them, they sent me a sample of something they were coming out with soon. I loved it as soon as I smelled it and kept my eyes peeled until they released it. I bought the aftershave, but they also make it in an edp.

Has to be British Brut, no other scent is so manly and confusing to other men. Smells cheap to some, others not. Or am I just biased.

If you have smelled it a lot out in the wild, and has a barbershop vibe, and is nothing anyone has mentioned already, the first thing I thought of is Beau Du Jour by Tom Ford. Definitely a barbershop vibe, with a strong lavender that is not aquatic.

I wore the Private Blend Beau de Jour and it's definitely on the stronger side. Good call!
If you have smelled it a lot out in the wild, and has a barbershop vibe, and is nothing anyone has mentioned already, the first thing I thought of is Beau Du Jour by Tom Ford. Definitely a barbershop vibe, with a strong lavender that is not aquatic.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions! This is a tough one. Was able to smell some Invictus upon your suggestions, but discovered that's not it.

To be clear, it was not aquatic, but smelled like 90s deodorant or aftershave to me. It was inexpensive smelling (not "cheap" as in bad), and I doubt based on context that it was anything very rare or unusual. Did not give me "department store fragrance section" vibes, but more "shaving product/deodorant" vibes" It was an excellent smell but every time I came across it, whoever had applied it was sending off huge clouds of sillage wafting into the air. Also, it was like a modern, artificial "oakmoss" smell that had a clean and straightforward "coolness" quality to it, something that reminded me vaguely of the combination of the drydown of Clubman combined with Cool Wave gel deodorant drydown, if that makes any sense!
Your description kind of sounds like Ralph Lauren Safari—although it does not smell cheap.

Lacoste Original Cologne is also a candidate—a sporty, fresh chypre without being an aquatic.

Thanks for all the help!
Thanks for the suggestion!

Top Bottom