What's new

Adjustable DE Razor mega thread?

Always been intrigued by adjustable safety razors, whether they are adjustable on the fly or come with different head combinations. Tried searching on here but didn't see a thread on it. My only adjustable on the fly is a Merker Futur. I had a DE back in the day and I wish I could remember the name but it came with 3 heads in varying aggressiveness and I really enjoyed it. I ended up selling it when I sold off lots of my shaving gear.

Thinking of picking up a Rockwell T2 and maybe a Vikings Blade Meiji. What adjustable DEs do you all own, and what are your thoughts on them?

Sellers says that razors with multiple baseplates as Rockwell 6S/6C are adjustable.|

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION these are razors offered with multiple baseplates, not "ADJUSTABLE".

But that's me.

I really like it, its a good razor with 6 options of baseplates.

I also like the really adjustable, where you dial the knob then baseplate changes its level, as Merkur Progress, Futur, Parker Adjustable, Pearl Adjustable, Yaqui adjustable.

Sellers says that razors with multiple baseplates as Rockwell 6S/6C are adjustable.|

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION these are razors offered with multiple baseplates, not "ADJUSTABLE".

But that's me.

I really like it, its a good razor with 6 options of baseplates.

I also like the really adjustable, where you dial the knob then baseplate changes its level, as Merkur Progress, Futur, Parker Adjustable, Pearl Adjustable, Yaqui adjustable.

I agree with you. I think for it to be adjustable, it needs to be literally adjustable.

I miss my ATT Windsor with multiple plates, but it was not adjustable.

Hi

I share you passion for adjustable razors and have tried a few of them.
Based on my personal experience and research:

The Rockwell T2 is a very mild razor. It's good looking and smooth but it's not the most efficient one.
You have a Merkur Futur which is on the aggressive side. So I would wager the T2 would not be sufficiently effective.

Maybe you could have a peek at a Pearl Flexi - affordable and smooth brass adjustable, a Rex Ambassador basically an upscale, fancy though slightly more aggressive and more expensive version of the Flexi or a Yaqi Tfc adjustable. Yaqi is zamac but cheap and from what I have read should deliver a comparable shave as the Rex Ambassador.

There's also a slanted adjustable razor that gets lots of praise, being the Rex Konsul. Smooth, efficient, well made but expensive.

Vintage razors that are interesting are the Gillette superspeed adjustable black beauty, slim or fatboy.
Though I personally prefer modern alternatives.

Yaqi should release a brass version of the adjustable razor 'in the near future'.

And ofcourse, if you want smooth, adjustable and efficient shaves at a low price there is always the Merkur Progress - but it's zamac as well.
The Parker Variant is a similarly priced alternative that I have not tried. Some prefer the Variant, others the Progress.

I left razor sets with different baseplate out of the equation because they arent really adjustables and I dont have any experience with them. Razorock has a wide variety of different heads & handles that are well priced and stainless steel. Gamechanger and Lupo series going from. 68 to. 84 for the GC to. 95 for the Lupo.

I have read mixed reviews about the vikings razor which is why they won't ever be on my want list.

Last edited:
Get a Pearl Flexi. Probably the highest quality, moderately priced adjustable. They are plated brass and built like a tank. Excellent razors in the adjustable category. Shaves, functions and built like a $200 razor.
And I agree with others that a multi plate razor is not an adjustable!
My Karve offers multiple plates and nowhere does it get classified as adjustable.

I do admit to a certain affinity....:001_rolle

20220414_201842[8983].jpg

Get a Pearl Flexi. Probably the highest quality, moderately priced adjustable. They are plated brass and built like a tank. Excellent razors in the adjustable category. Shaves, functions and built like a $200 razor.
And I agree with others that a multi plate razor is not an adjustable!
My Karve offers multiple plates and nowhere does it get classified as adjustable.
I also recommend the Pearl Flexi. A very well made razor in its price range.

If you want to try a less expensive one, I must admit that Yaqi Adjustable (Final Cut) gives me excellent shaves also. Better than Merkur Futur, which, for some, has a little cumbersome design, making a little difficult to shave right under the nose.

Better than Merkur Futur, which, for some, has a little cumbersome design, making a little difficult to shave right under the nose.
And the fact that it feels like it's gonna peel your face off, Lol!!
And I love really agressive razors.
But the Futur just felt dangerous to me!

I agree that a true adjustable is a razor with a dial or lever that can be adjusted, without being disassembled to replace parts.

There are MANY razors with available optional base plates for additional cost. Including all of the various plates in one package, with a handle, doesn't make the razor adjustable, IMO.

I'm curious, for those who use "live" adjustables (razors you don't have to disassemble and reassemble to change aggression): Do you change aggression in the middle of a shave? (I ask because
Many adjustable users have said they find the setting they like and leave it alone.)

I'm curious, for those who use "live" adjustables (razors you don't have to disassemble and reassemble to change aggression): Do you change aggression in the middle of a shave? (I ask because
Many adjustable users have said they find the setting they like and leave it alone.)
Depends on the day and the shave - sometimes.

View attachment 1480339

Just about any razor can be adjusted to an extent.
I remember adjusting my Schick Krona back in the seventies by not tightening knob fully.
Such a beautiful razor. It's a shame that the handles were so poorly made that they cracked when you tried to "adjust" the screw. Especially considering that $5 in 1910 is $150 in today's dollars.

Here is a list of all the adjustables I have tried, with my thoughts.

1) Merkur Progress. Actually had the "Mergress" version. I liked it pretty well and used it off and on, but after a while it fell into disuse and I sold it. Although I enjoyed it while I had it, I have not really missed it.

2) Gillette Slim. Liked this one a great deal and used it as a daily shaver for quite some time, but sold it after I got my Fatboy (see below).

3) Gillette Fatboy. I have had two of these, and still have one remaining. I love this razor and the shave it provides. I found it smoother and, in general, better than the Slim, but a lot of people disagree with me here. After I sold the first one, it took me a while to find another one. I promised myself I would never sell this one. Having said that, I don't use it much anymore for some reason.

4) Gillette Super Adjustable. I didn't care for it, so I sold it.

5) Cheap Chinese clone of the Merkur Futur. For some reason, this razor is almost magically smooth. I hardly ever use it. I tried to off-load it on the B/S/T one time, but nobody wanted it. My wife asked for a gentle, smooth DE for her legs one day and I let her use this one. It was a success, so I guess we are keeping it. But she will be the one using it.

6) Viking's Blade Meiji Emporer. I really wanted to like this one. I loved the way it looked. There was a manufacturing problem that made it so the blade was held with a slight "frown," which really bothered me. I sent it off to a wonderful gentleman on this forum who took it apart and fixed it for me. When it came back it held the blade flat/straight and I still really wanted to like it. Problem is, it looked a lot better than it shaved. I ended up selling the repaired razor.

7) Gillette Toggle. I scored a refurbished and rhodium-replated Toggle off the B/S/T and I really like this razor a lot. Good heft, good balance, more efficient than either the Slim or the Fatboy.

TL;DR version. I love adjustables and have tried a lot of them. I only have two left in my stable that I use; the Fatboy and the Toggle. My wife, however, likes the Chinese Futur clone, so it stays, as well.

Almost always. My preference is wider open for the first pass, and then dialed down for subsequent passes. I have heard of others that did it the exact opposite way. One of them, in fact, was almost obsessive/rabid in his desire to make everybody try it his way. I think he eventually got booted off the forum 'cause he didn't play well with others.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Such a beautiful razor. It's a shame that the handles were so poorly made that they cracked when you tried to "adjust" the screw. Especially considering that $5 in 1910 is $150 in today's dollars.
Hairline cracks won't affect the adjustment of the single rings as the handle is in compression. Tighten away!

This one is another story:
full

Someone spent a few day's wages on that back in 1910

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
My first adjustable razor was a Gillette slim and I have bought a few more along the way. If you find a adjustable that you enjoy really there is not much better that a razor you can do and set your aggression on the fly IMO for those great shaves we all enjoy.
Typically I like to shave with my Gillette Fatboy settings(7 WTG, 7 ATG, pickups 8) works great.
Out of all these adjustable razors the Yaqi TFC and the Gillette Fatboy give excellent shaves + affordable.
L-R Yaqi TFC :001_wub:, Gillette Fatboy:thumbup:, Gillette slim:thumbup1:, Schick injector M3:thumbup1:, Tom White DE proto type:w00t:, Mingshi 2000:biggrin1:
Ron's adjustable razors 2022..jpg

Have some great shaves!

I have a few, Fatboy, slim, bb, futur and progress. Don't tend to use them often. I prefer the normal se razor for some reason. They are good if you have different face hair eg your neck may be more coarse so you can open up on the adjustment, plus I do think that they look good

Reactions: edw
Top Bottom