What's new

The BRGAS (Back Roads Gold Appreciation Society)

My wife asked me the other day how one of these razor revamps could make a razor "better than new." I think that personal attention applied to a mass-produced razor from an artisan like Chris (or Matt Pisarcik's crew at Razor Emporium) can always make that razor shine and work better than it did from the factory. Heck, even my own personal attention to the razors I've bought has made them better (usually). Sometimes, I don't know what I'm doing and I make things worse. Stalking Chris's YouTube videos has been incredibly helpful and fascinating too.

Well, I received the invoice from Chris, which I instantly paid. He sent the following pics of my completed razor.
IMG_20220607_151653.jpg

IMG_20220607_151659.jpg

IMG_20220607_151709.jpg

The razor looks stunning! Look at the finish on those doors!!!! I cannot wait to get this puppy back.

I've already sent Chris an e-mail with a link to this thread. Who knows, maybe he'll make a cameo appearance. He needs to know how much this community appreciates his craftsmanship.

These razors were cheap when Gillette made them, and there were a lot of them made. Add in the ravages of time with wear, tarnish, corrosion and neglect and you've got a real piece of junk - that is what I was once told by a collector who only deals in the best unissued and pristine examples. My Dad once told me that just because something is old, age doesn't necessarily make it valuable - there's a lot of Old Junk out there.
Nevertheless, there's a certain magic that happens when your "junk" razor is cleaned, polished, replated and restored to it's former glory.
The snooty purists don't understand the wonder and excitement that comes with the return of your shiney "new" razor in the mail.

I say do what makes you happy.

I think of watch collecting. Some serious collectors consider anything that is restored, even polished, to have been molested. Many want the dial to show patina, and have no problem with hands losing their luminous material, or turning brown. To them it is part of the charm.

Good for them, but I also appreciate a nicely restored razor, watch, or muscle car. It's fun too.

My wife asked me the other day how one of these razor revamps could make a razor "better than new." I think that personal attention applied to a mass-produced razor from an artisan like Chris (or Matt Pisarcik's crew at Razor Emporium) can always make that razor shine and work better than it did from the factory. Heck, even my own personal attention to the razors I've bought has made them better (usually). Sometimes, I don't know what I'm doing and I make things worse. Stalking Chris's YouTube videos has been incredibly helpful and fascinating too.

A buddy of mine restores muscle cars, mostly 70s Mopar. His cars have been spotlighted in magazines, and been on the covers of some. He's had cars in the running as finalists at Autorama in Detroit.

He doesn't paint, but has spent $40k or more on paint jobs for these cars, and the paint is a far cry from original. The originals have visible orange peel, while the restorations are mirror smooth. Stunning really.

Likewise, these restored razors are much nicer than new. The plating is a true plating rather than a thin wash, and brilliantly polished. Of course we can't forget that the originals cost under two bucks.

Now I need to find a way to get a case for this beautiful Fatboy! I've only been a forum member for 40 days, so I don't yet have privileges to post a WTB thread in the BST--Doh! I can wait a few days :001_tongu

I say do what makes you happy.

I think of watch collecting. Some serious collectors consider anything that is restored, even polished, to have been molested. Many want the dial to show patina, and have no problem with hands losing their luminous material, or turning brown. To them it is part of the charm.

Good for them, but I also appreciate a nicely restored razor, watch, or muscle car. It's fun too.
Once upon a time, watches required service every couple of years. I collect mainly Railroad Grade watches, which, when in RR service were meticulously maintained. To be properly refurbished, some watches require a complete teardown to clean out old gummed oil & debris. It's not unusual for me to spend up to 12 hours cleaning & reassembling a watch. It was a necessary part of owning a quality watch back then.

Once cleaned and tuned up, there's nothing more beautiful than a quality pocket watch movement.
GM Wheeler 12s.jpg

Elgin 3 finger bridge size 16 movement.jpg

Last edited:
Chris recently replated my Fatboy and Aristocrat. I will enjoy them for the rest of my time here on this planet. I may have him replate my New LC in the future. On the other hand, I would never replate my birth year/quarter Slim. I want it to remain like it is. I would also not replate my 40's style Superspeed as it doesn't really need it.

Chris recently replated my Fatboy and Aristocrat. I will enjoy them for the rest of my time here on this planet. I may have him replate my New LC in the future. On the other hand, I would never replate my birth year/quarter Slim. I want it to remain like it is. I would also not replate my 40's style Superspeed as it doesn't really need it.
That's very interesting, that you prefer your birth-year razor to show its age.

I'd have to admit that my '57s have probably aged a bit better than me. 😄

No pics MichWR? :crying:

Just dropped off a box of stuff for Chris at Backroads Gold:
Old Type Cap & Bottom plate, plus a ball end handle in 3 pcs for nickel
A Ball End Handle for Gold to replace the replica handle on my Goodwill
A Common Bar Handle for Gold
An Old Type Cap for nickel
USPS says delivery by this Friday & turnaround is around 10 days.

Does anyone have a preference for his work from Chloride, AZ or Frannie, WY? They both look excellent to me ....

'Bulldog G'

• Some time ago I bought this 'Bulldog' as a part of a lot

• It had every "problem" possible, but I couldn't see any cracks, so I thought let's try save this historic piece

• Scratches, no plating, skewed head and bent teeth. I thought Chris at 'BRG' could use a challenge 😅

• I think the result speaks for itself and then there were two 😁

s-l1600-5.jpgs-l1600-6.jpgs-l1600-7.jpgs-l1600-8.jpgIMG_1667.jpgIMG_1668.jpgIMG_1669.jpgIMG_1670.jpg

I want to replate my fatboy, among others, but can't decide what metal plating to go with? I like them all.
Gold is gold, but the silver color options include Palladium and Nickel. The Factory Nickel finish will look like a brand new unused razor. IMO he mirror nickel is a little too ahiney. Palladium is a harder metal, but I've read that it can crack.
Best to e-mail [email protected] and ask for his expert advice.

Top Bottom