What's new

Surprise the other night....

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Was at a pool party (no, I don't swim. I sink) and I ran into a young feller that is an impressive young man. Uber achiever type. Kollege student, nearly finished with his training for his pilot's license, joined the Army Reserve at 17. And a gentleman. Yes, I may not BE one, but I know one when I see one.

He and his friends got to talking about "what they shave with" and they all seem to think I'm not as old and boring as all y'all do, and included me in their discussion.

My young friend piped up that he has been using a Double Edge! Upon further questioning, I found out that he uses stuff in the can. I asked him if he'd be interested in some soap and a brush, and he's excited to get it!

So I think I'm going to get a modest kit together for him.

Arko Stick of course is a must, I even warned him it might remind him of a clean bathroom, and he wasn't scared off, lol!

Any thoughts on what I should give him? Opinions?

Yep, definitely Arko!

Get him something mild and easy to use. A vintage Super Speed, perhaps. Or here's an idea: Pick up a short handle Van Der Hagen at Walmart: It shaves pretty much exactly like a vintage 1960s Super Speed (to me, anyway). And while you're at Walmart you can pick up a $1 USA-made salsa bowl which gives a doggone good impression of a shave bowl (true story!).

FarmerTan

1. Encouragement
2. Respect
3. A small kit of things: brush, soap
4. Make sure he has your phone number
5. Room to explore and a firm promise to answer any questions he may come up with

Then give yourself the beverage of your choice! You earned it. Good job.

O.H.
Honestly, it is a kid (year or two older than my son!) that I've known since his family came to our church for the first time when he was probably 4 or 6 years old. The pool party was the Kollege kid klass we kinda help his folks run. His Dad and Mom are both geniuses, their kids and my only begotten grew up together and were all homeskooled together. Just a first rate kid. His Dad's a teacher with more post graduate degrees than I can count. The fact that he enjoys my conversation convinces me that it's only because he sees me as a court jester.

Off topic (lol, when have I ever been ON a topic) but this pool party had probably 30 young folks there and I didn't want to leave. It was like I had stepped back in time to the late 1940's! Just renewed my hope for this generation!

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Was at a pool party (no, I don't swim. I sink) and I ran into a young feller that is an impressive young man. Uber achiever type. Kollege student, nearly finished with his training for his pilot's license, joined the Army Reserve at 17. And a gentleman. Yes, I may not BE one, but I know one when I see one.

He and his friends got to talking about "what they shave with" and they all seem to think I'm not as old and boring as all y'all do, and included me in their discussion.

My young friend piped up that he has been using a Double Edge! Upon further questioning, I found out that he uses stuff in the can. I asked him if he'd be interested in some soap and a brush, and he's excited to get it!

Arko Stick of course is a must, I even warned him it might remind him of a clean bathroom, and he wasn't scared off, lol!

You are such a nice gentleman @FarmerTan :)

Talk about lucky that you were able to have a conversation with them regarding the topic of shaving! Because you are about to open a whole new world to those boys. Nothing like a good DE shave, to bring fourth a little bit of happiness to ones life.

Its really nice of you, willing to gift some shaving items to your new friend, lets hope that he loves the items! And I knew there was no way you were going to do all that, without throwing in some Arko, your the Arko king afterall! HEHE 😁

I can't wait to try out Arko, and find out what its all about. I resisted before, because of the rumor mill about it. But, you wouldn't be such a huge advocate for it, if it were bad. So, I am willing to try it out. Your a nice guy Dave, my tanned farmer friend.

And lastly, gotta love it when the young take up a quality classic way, to getting ones shave on. Check your cart razors at the door young whipper snappers, we wet shave here, SE, DE, and SR. ;)

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Of course @Mike M despises soap. I hear running water keeps him from crossing bridges.

It’s citronella/lemon/Nag Champa-scented shave soap that makes a slick lather as thick or thin as one pleases with hard well water and probably works even better with soft water.

When the remnants of my current stick are done, I’m going on a fancy soap kick and then returning to my eleven remaining sticks of ARKO! Will probably carry on about lather structure as one does.

If you're giving him Arko, might as well give him The Veg as well, lol.

Seriously, though, depending on what you want to spend:

An artisan soap from B&M, T&S, or other. Matching aftershave would be good.
A Tech. Maybe a Henson.
A Turkish copper shaving bowl.
A Yaqi synthetic.
An assorted selection of blades.

First, CONGRATULATIONS on getting that young man to talk with you, and especially to listen!

Second, I suggest either a boar or synthetic brush and some Clubman AS. :thumbup1::thumbup1:

FarmerTan

First, CONGRATULATIONS on getting that young man to talk with you, and especially to listen!
BigJ, comin' from you, that cuts like a knife!

But, as my wife ALWAYS sez, "the truth hurts" and she is without doubt the most truthful woman I ever met!

FarmerTan

Don't forget to tell him about our B&B forums!
I do plan on telling him. LoL, I'm going to lie like a dog and tell him my name on here is @luvmysuper or, "nunya bidniss" if he asks.... Don't want the guy to tell his folks about me!

I've got VERY few friends in the "real werld" and danged few that are SMARTER than me, so I'm takin' a real chance here!

Shoot, some of you fellers might even tell him tall tales about me!

I think it's a great thing you are doing. I'd suggest a boar, maybe a synth brush , a Tech or Super Speed, some Aqua Velva Ice Blue and of course a stick of Arko.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I suggest gifting something meaningful to you. Arko is perfect, because it comes the glorious stories of grief heaped upon you from your loving B&B brothers. Definitely include a tuck of favorite blades. I'm a big Zenith boar brush fan - they're inexpensive, exotic, and world-class. Or perhaps a slice of pizza left behind by departing pizzeria patrons?

@FarmerTan, you're the man and the legend. Thank you for connecting with a new generation!

FarmerTan

I suggest gifting something meaningful to you. Arko is perfect, because it comes the glorious stories of grief heaped upon you from your loving B&B brothers. Definitely include a tuck of favorite blades. I'm a big Zenith boar brush fan - they're inexpensive, exotic, and world-class. Or perhaps a slice of pizza left behind by departing pizzeria patrons?

@FarmerTan, you're the man and the legend. Thank you for connecting with a new generation!
My brother, I am flattered that you remember the pizza story! I think this poor young officer and gentleman may have been there that day; I know literally EVERY friend he had at that tender age was!

It's funny, but I know most of you (I'm looking at YOU @fast shaver !) think I'm not right in the head, and the few "real life friends" I have in the outside werld have probably warned their children about me, but most of you MIGHT be amazed that these otherwise normal young people PREFER to hangout with me!.....yeah, gotta be honest, I can't believe it.

Sometimes I try to step outside of myself and look at myself through someone else's eyes, and I think:

HOW in the werld does he get to walk around free? Is his ONLY reason for existence to show everyone just how LONGSUFFERING the Lord truly is?

When God does call me home I know it will be in His perfect timing, but I will probably ask, "what took you so long? Was there even ONE DAY that I didn't screw up some Plan of Yours?"

LoL, is there anyone that you have met more blessed than me? Poor @dmshaver will tell you: the entire time I was in his church he kept giving me sideways glances, until my wife told him, "don't feel bad, I sit a few seats away from him every Sunday in case he gets struck by lightning!"

True story doggone.

Don’t scare the poor lad with a urinal puck….😁

Nice of you to help him out.

Top Bottom