What's new

The perfect shave

First off my wife and me are equals. I feel bad for the old guys with antiquated ideas about a women's place in the household who think women are less than their equals; suggestion wake up from your dream world and try to be a better human and husband. Who knows your shaves also might even get better once you start treating the females in your life better.

Please lets' keep it on topic Gents, which is the OP's views of the elusive "Perfect Shave," and comments thereon.

B&B is a refuge from Gender controversies which are ample in what is amusingly termed the "real world."

Let's all play nice and be kind.

Last edited:
First off my wife and me are equals. I feel bad for the old guys with antiquated ideas about a women's place in the household who think women are less than their equals; suggestion wake up from your dream world and try to be a better human and husband. Who knows your shaves also might even get better once you start treating the females in your life better.
Nobody said anything about you or your wife. Good if you like your marriage. I like my relationship. No antique ideas here. A woman should know her place and the man his place. And that place is respecting eachother. Nowadays it is women who mostly try to step on the man’s boundaries so if that is the case one would probably be better off to end up alone than having a woman like that. If she wants a good husband who treats her good she should learn to be a better wife. How you treat her is how she deserves to be treated. That is my point of view for any person not just a relationship.
It is about self respect and happiness.
However let’s keep our focus on shaving if that is possible.

Last edited:
I wish this was the case for me most of the time.

The amount of times my family as seen me with shaving soap on my face or half off it gone on my face to come help them with a situation during a shave... they must think I love to impersonate Santa Claus after a shower!
I hear ya! I need to get up before everyone else in order to have my private moment of peace and quiet. It’s like being in the eye of the storm.

When the pandemic hit, a new trend hit, it was the trend for men to stop shaving. Why? Cause they decided since they were staying home, and no longer going to work, they didn't need to shave. There are many Youtubers who still to this day, like Linus Tech Tips for example, are not shaving. His excuse is the wife likes the beard now, and so all his decisions based on his personal grooming, role around his wife for some reason. Truth is, you and I both know its just an excuse.

Men who don't like to shave, will use any excuse not to do so, thats the reality. But I wasn't one of the ones who stopped shaving just cause there was a pandemic rolling around. I was electric shaving before I became a wet shaver. And the only time I grow a beard, is in the winter time for warmth. But the beard came off in spring. Look, we all know who the true wet shavers are, cause they are here on B&B, wet shaving, and telling their stories.

I see personal grooming as a fundamental right. Unlike some dudes, my decision to do so, doesn't revolve around wife opinion. Just another benefit of me not having a wife. But I would respect a man more if he sees shaving as his own fundamental right, and regardless of wife's opinion, shaves if he wants to shave. And I wish men would stop using the pandemic as an excuse not to shave as well, just cause they are not going in the office.

Now, as far as my shaves are concerned, I have thick course wiry whiskers, if I just do a WTG pass, I better be using a heavily efficient razor. For me, my risk of weepers goes up exponentially, if I attack my face with too high of an aggression. Think of Rex Ambassador, Merkur Futur, or Gillette Fatboy, all turned up to their highest aggression.

Sure, they will be incredibly efficient, but more then likely I'd nick myself, and cause weepers. The smarter thing to do, is to use a less aggressive razor, or use lower settings. But, then you also reduce the efficiency. Which is why, single WTG passes, will never make me look like I just shaved. And I can run my fingers ATG, and feel lots of stubble left over.

For quite awhile, I was doing only a 2-pass shave, because my neck couldn't handle XTG, so I left out the XTG pass all together. But I later discovered that on my neck, I need to go DTG, thats where my mistake one. Cause once you map your beard, you discover which directions your whiskers are going, and then you better understand, which direction you need to attack them.

So today I am now a 3-pass shaver, which is pretty standard actually. I do WTG, XTG, and ATG on the face, and I do WTG, DTG, and ATG on the neck. Sometimes a little buffing is required, and I can even get to 100% BBS shaves doing that. Now us, sometimes I tend to overdo it a bit because of my OCD, and can cause a little capillary bleeding of the unwanted in spots.

But thats the nature of OCD, sometimes it just makes you do thing too many times, you gotta burn to learn. But each of us are different, so for all of us, its a YMMV thing. I see your new here, and like me, you will learn this over time. But, you just do what is right for you, as long as you are happy with your shaves, thats all that matters.

I respect a man more who considers his personal grooming as something important in life. So you are already miles ahead of the curve, as compared to men who use pandemic as an excuse to not shave. So keep up the great work!
Funny you should mention the pandemic. I used the extra time I had at home to really focus on being able to shave daily with a straight razor. When things normalised I continued. I am actually considering getting rid of most of my DE's now.
I shave daily because I like it, not because I need to.

I used the extra time I had at home to really focus on being able to shave daily with a straight razor.

Working from home has been a boon: the commute time can be spent on a more leisurely shave, including learning a new skill like shaving with a straight.

To expand on @Tomo's point, the perfect shave involves all of the above, plus no blood in the lather! :)

Working from home has been a boon: the commute time can be spent on a more leisurely shave, including learning a new skill like shaving with a straight.

To expand on @Tomo's point, the perfect shave involves all of the above, plus no blood in the lather! :)
The problem with that BBS shave is that there is not enough to shave the next day:)
I need to get some beard growing supplements. Biotin is supposed to help:)

Why? I heard blood adds slickness x2. :p

but, a fairly mild razor does not shave as close as an aggressive razor, unless you do one of two things, either (or both) of which can lead to more irritation than just using a more aggressive razor. Either you need a sharper/more aggressive blade, or, you need to make more passes.

I find that to be true. I have had more razor burn with an R89 than with a R41. I do think there are other factors than the number of passes.

But thats the nature of OCD, sometimes it just makes you do thing too many times, you gotta burn to learn.

That's very true.

It's a less is more kind of thing...

As everyday life became easier and easier thanks to previous generations of men working and building this world

I find that holds true for a lot of groups who feel they have been treated unfairly and don't understand why someone else has a better position and lifestyle then themselves.

My answer is simple, go do what they did...

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I'm totally mixing metals for the rest of the evening to see if my life implodes. Shavewise I'm lathering in a copper bowl, razor could be aluminum, SS, or bronze just to start. Prolly load up a cheap synthetic to add insult to injury.

Dinnerwise I'm cutting with Damascus, searing with cast iron and returning to copper for saucier'... I'll let you all know if I can work in any other life "imbalances".

As always YMMV.

Top Bottom