What's new

I'm ready to order my first expensive razor, help me make a decision!!

Quick review of shave #1 with my new ATT 0.91 Aluminum/Stainless!
1 day of growth, my normal nightly 2 pass WTG/XTG, Gillette Platinum blade.

Before anything, I have to point out the quality of this USA made razor. ATT makes great razors!
First pass was more efficient than anything I've used (ever). I'm comparing to my ATT Windsor SS 0.80 and my Karve CB brass with 0.98 D plate. Up to now, they have been my most efficient. It's ridiculously efficient to the point that my first pass had equivalent results to my normal second pass with my other razors. This might be the norm for some but for me it's not. It's left me stunned!
Is it as smooth as my 0.80 Windsor? No!
But that's fine by me. It's smooth enough for my liking since I value efficiency and blade feel more than the smoothness. This razor has twice the blade feel than my standard SS Windsor. 2mm blade exposure from the top cap vs. 1mm respectively!
The aluminum head sings! It's got incredible audible feedback and you can really hear that blade cutting. Very enjoyable for me!
I'm really glad that they mistakenly sent me the stainless handle (I'm keeping it). It pairs very well with the aluminum top parts giving it a bit of needed weight (no pressing required). At no point did it feel like it was going to bite. It felt safe the whole time. It's very balanced!
The shaving angle range is narrow and I discovered that the normal 30 degrees works best. Riding the cap and going steep really didn't work well (I tried several angles). That's fine for me since I normally shave at about a 30 degree angle. Edging my goatee was fantastic with this razor. Works better than my SS Windsor since the head is more narrow. It's very intuitive and didn't have any learning curve for me.

Second pass was as good as the first. I could still hear it cutting up whiskers.
By the time I was done, I didn't get my normal DFS. I got a near BBS shave which I had never experienced.
And it all went smoothly with no nicks, cuts or weepers.
Total cost to build this wonderful razor was $72
I couldn't be happier with the razor and the results!
A+ for the razor, the USA made quality and ATT's customer service.
LRod
12 hours after last nights shave and my face still feels the same!
This thing shaves really really close!

Quick (last) report on my#2 shave with the ATT Aluminum/Stainless:

24 hours of growth that looked and felt like 12 hours of growth!
I did pass #1 and got the closeness (level) of pass #2 with my other razors.
I should have just stopped there but didn't. Well, I ended up with a weeper! (first one in a long while)
Conclusion:
Once again, the shave is so incredibly close that if I use this razor daily, I'll only need 1 pass vs. my usual 2 pass
that I do with my other razors.
LRod

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Quick (last) report on my#2 shave with the ATT Aluminum/Stainless:

24 hours of growth that looked and felt like 12 hours of growth!
I did pass #1 and got the closeness (level) of pass #2 with my other razors.
I should have just stopped there but didn't. Well, I ended up with a weeper! (first one in a long while)
Conclusion:
Once again, the shave is so incredibly close that if I use this razor daily, I'll only need 1 pass vs. my usual 2 pass
that I do with my other razors.
LRod
Allow me to fuel your ATT acquisitiveness. If, like many of us, you enjoy shaving enough to extend the experience, the M plate can easily be used for a daily three passes without weepers or irritation for me. The R plate can, too, but the third is really more of a victory lap.

Allow me to fuel your ATT acquisitiveness. If, like many of us, you enjoy shaving enough to extend the experience, the M plate can easily be used for a daily three passes without weepers or irritation for me. The R plate can, too, but the third is really more of a victory lap.
Thanks!
Coincidentally I was just looking at those 2 plates today. I'll probably just buy both. But the R is only available in open comb. Which might be kind of cool since it's probably a bit more agressive than the closed comb. And I've never tried anything open comb anyways. They also have the Copper plate which is (from my understanding) equivalent to the R plate but in a different metal.
Decisions, decisions!!

:nono:
May I suggest a Fatip? Not aggressive enough? Try a Roedter 1909

~doug~
Actually my new ATT is aggressive enough for me. I just like experimenting to see what results I can get with different blade gaps, exposures etc..
I don't think I'll ever go as far as the Roedter, LOL!!
That thing looks scary!

Actually my new ATT is aggressive enough for me. I just like experimenting to see what results I can get with different blade gaps, exposures etc..
I don't think I'll ever go as far as the Roedter, LOL!!
That thing looks scary!
You should read more about what it ACTUALLY is, you would understand why I am laughing at that comment. Hint: the name is fictitious, it's a modern razor with a little problem. 😬

You should read more about what it ACTUALLY is, you would understand why I am laughing at that comment. Hint: the name is fictitious, it's a modern razor with a little problem. 😬
Yep I know exactly what it is. I don't know where the fictitious funny part comes in though. It was just a name given to to a Fatip that was a mess. The Merkur Futur is also called "The potato peeler" by some but that's not it's fictitious name. It's a nickname!

I am getting back into wet shaving after taking years off. I had an ATT and really enjoyed it, it was a fantastic quality razor. That is in the mix as my expensive razor purchase again. I am also considering a Tatara Masamune. What say, you guys? I don't like super aggressive shaves, I prefer a milder/mid type of razor. What else should I be considering? Is ATT still a good buy? I think I owned one like 6-7 years ago.

Reactions: Kix
I am getting back into wet shaving after taking years off. I had an ATT and really enjoyed it, it was a fantastic quality razor. That is in the mix as my expensive razor purchase again. I am also considering a Tatara Masamune. What say, you guys? I don't like super aggressive shaves, I prefer a milder/mid type of razor. What else should I be considering? Is ATT still a good buy? I think I owned one like 6-7 years ago.
Out of all my razors (current & past owned), my ATT Windsor 0.80 is my #1. Love their products!
I also have an aluminum. Both USA made!
Quality & shave performance is stellar.
They also have a recently introduced line which is called the Windsor Pro. Those are Made in China but maintain ATT's quality standards. Quite possibly the most positively spoken about Chinese razor on B&B. They come in both Stainless & Aluminum.
Bottom line is that their products are well worth it.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Have you looked at Razorock's line of Stainless razors? They are not super expensive, but sure do compete well with the big dogs. Karve seems to have a baseplate for everyone's needs also. I love my Timeless. If you don't mind waiting, there is the Wolfman.

~doug~

In a perfect world, I would buy about half a dozen razors and try them out for a while, decide which ones I liked, then either return or sell the ones I disliked.

If you like mid aggressive razors, you might want to try a Yates H plate? For me, it’s more aggressive/efficient than my Razorock Lupo 72, but less aggressive & smoother than my Timeless 78 open comb bronze. Supposedly, the Yates will be available in a “Build Your Own Razor” option this July.

I finished my comparison of the GP white box and blue box blades. I did 3 daily shaves using each blade. Shaves were all full 3 pass with a 4th touch up pass with some buffing on the neck....my typical routine.

Here is what I used: Razor, soap, aftershave and brush remained the same during the 6 day trial.
View attachment 1473208
Razor: ATT Windsor with SSRH plate
Brush: Rudy 25mm STF
Soap: PannaCrema Nuavia Blue
Blades: Gillete Platinum (white box and blue box)
Aftershave: Floid The Original (sorry I forgot to include in picture)

I started with the white box GP and shaved for 3 days straight. The first shave was just a tad rougher than the next two, but not terrible....very typical to most blades where the first shave is a little less smooth than the rest. The blade provided a good shave (DFS), but not as close as some I've experienced with this razor. Face felt good with just a tad of aftershave sting. Whiskers seemed to return within about 7 hours or so. The second shave was very smooth with the same DFS results and stubble returning within the same time frame. Some feedback from aftershave, but not much. The third shave seemed the smoothest providing virtually the same end results. Overall, not a bad blade, but could have shaved a little closer. No nicks or irritation experienced during any shave.

Next up, the blue box GP. This blade started out much smoother from the first shave. No feeling of any roughness at all....felt like the white box GP on the 2nd/3rd shave. This blade provided a closer shave with longer lasting results as well. Whiskers started to reappear after about 10 hrs. Face felt nice and smooth (mostly BBS) with no irritation....very little feedback from aftershave. The second and third shaves with this blade were super smooth and close....virtually the same feeling and results. The blade was smooth on the first shave, but seemed even smoother on the 2nd and third shaves.

The blue box GP provided a closer, longer lasting shave that starts out more comfortable. Not sure why these blades are different, but I could definitely tell the blue box performed better for me. I put the blue box GP in my Rocca this morning just to see how it would do in that razor (it was already out in my razor stand, so why not right). It was super smooth in the Rocca as well and provided a superb shave....maybe a tad better than the Windsor. It reminded me of the Astra SS that I really like in this razor. I will definitely try the blue box GP in my other favorites to see how it performs.

I've had these blades for a couple of years and for some reason just haven't used them much. I'm going to do more experimenting now that I have refreshed my memory on these. Blue Box GP for the win. As always....YMMV.
I have found the exact same results using my Henson medium. Blue box for the win and now my number 1 blade after trying many.

Top Bottom