What's new

Henson AL13 Medium Steel Blue Aluminum DE Razor (Just Ordered)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello everyone! Guess what time it is? Its picture time! 😁

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Presenting the Henson AL13 DE razor in medium aggression, with Steel Blue color! This razor demands your attention, its loud, its proud, its got a Wizamet Super Iridium blade in it, and its ready to shave, WOOHOO! :thumbup: And did you notice, there's barely any blade exposure at all, isn't that something? All the razors I have will gladly take a facial mole off, but this razor is a glider of precision.

WOW is this razor light! I thought my Timeless TI95 razor was light, but this Henson AL13 brings a new meaning to the term light weight. I was right about the weight in my prediction of it, I can fling this thing around like its a feather pretty much. The handle may not be the most amazing thing ever, but, it works really good, wet fingers not a problem, and it threads into the top cap pretty nicely.

The head design is superb, now I have two razors that look futuristic. The set angle is absolutely perfect, I couldn't believe how intuitive it was to use without any issue. I tell you what, if a beginner to wet shaving is willing to spend 70 dollars, they could bypass the Merkur 34C all together, and go straight to this razor. Why? Cause folks here aint lying when they say its like the DE version of a cartridge razor.

As you can see by my picture, the blade fits nicely in the grooves in the top cap. Base plate design is also superb, everything fits like a glove, and the handle tightens down nicely, holding the blade very rigid, no blade chattering here fellas! This razor feels very good in the hand, I literally had no troubles with it. While this is indeed a mild razor, its still more efficient and smoother, then my Feather AS-D2 razor!

When I look at the blade gaps, on both my Feather AS-D2, and my Henson AL13 Medium, it is very clear, that the blade gap is more on my Henson AL13 Medium. The Feather AS-D2 has a lesser blade gap, and that is why the razor is too inefficient. And it really explains a lot, why as much as I tried, I couldn't get along with my Feather AS-D2. Henson AL13 Medium for the win!

Henson AL13 Medium razor, with Wizamet blade, shave report June 24th, 2022!

I really want to get through that ample sample of Timeless Ethereum shave soap. I gotta say, I am not really a fan of that shave soap, it doesn't have the best scent, and slickness wise, its not as good as Tabac, Stirling, or Captains Choice. I would say that its slickness is equal to that of Proraso.

Just a reminder, I got this Henson razor for quick shaving, hence, lets put her in gear 6 and go pedal to the metal, speed racer, vrooooom! 😂 I was amazed that I didn't have to think about my angle for a second, this razor's set angle is super intuitive! I went to town doing my WTG passes, and I was moving that razor fast, far faster then I would my other razors I can tell you that lol.

This razor took off a good chunk of bulk from 2-day stubble! The Wizamet blade was of course, the perfect blade pairing for this razor, as it allowed the Henson to effortlessly, and smoothly, cut those whiskers away. I re-lathered, and did my XTG and DTG passes, was it as efficient as my Fatboy on level 5 or 7? Nope! But was it more efficient then my Feather AS-D2? YEP!

I felt my face after I was done with 2-passes, I already had achieved a DFS. I re-lathered, and began my ATG passes. Swish swish, I flinged the razor upwards, whiskers disappearing as I went. Is there razor feedback? Oh yes there is! You can hear it alright, not as loudly as my Merkur Futur of course, but you can hear it. By the time I was finished, I only needed slight buffing to get to 100% BBS.

What I can't get over is just how smoothly this razor shaves, it literally glides with precision. I guess those folks over at Henson arn't kidding, when they talk about their aircraft grade precision manufacturing! From what I can tell, they are not full of BS, because their razor offers the smooth shave of a lifetime, all the way to the BBS. So kudo's to them for making a really awesome aluminum grade razor.

Also, some people reported that they were having issues with the razor clogging? I didn't really have that issue, I rinsed it out often, in my sink basin. Some people claimed that the lather channels were not deep enough for lather and whisker evacuation, I didn't have these issues. Now, time will tell on my 3-day stubble shave the following Monday, if I have difficulties with Proraso pre-shave cream clogging up in there.

In that regard, I have had that issue with my 1959 Gillette Fatboy razor, when I use my pre-shave cream, it seems to get clogged up in my razor, making it hard to rinse out. Hopefully my Henson won't have that issue. So the question is, how did I do? Well, I achieved, with some slight buffing I might add, a 100% BBS shave. 0-nicks, 0-weepers, 0-capillary bleeding, 0-razor burn & or irritation.

I am more blown away by this razor then I thought I was going to be. I was able to speed up my shave for sure. But there was something that was still slowing me down I discovered, and that was the time it takes to whip up a lather using shave soap. So, I tell you what I am going to do, next month I am going to order some Proraso RED Sandlewood shave cream in the tube.

If I can apply that shave cream to my brush, and directly work it in my face and neck, that will greatly speed up my shaving time as well. So the answer is, yes, this is the razor I was looking for, and yes it did what I wanted to do, I amped up the speed of my shaves. But I am humble enough to know, I can still do better. And I will, once I get some Proraso shave cream lol.

Razor recommendation?

I recommend this razor to all classes of wet shavers, beginners, intermediate, and expert. Additionally, I especially recommend this to wet shaving beginners who are used to cart razors. Because this razor is so forgiving, you'd literally have to be shaving like a grade A moron, to hurt yourself with it lol.

Arsenal Slot Position?

The Henson AL13 Medium Steel Blue razor ties the same slot position as my Merkur Futur razor, position 3.

Conclusion?

While I like to use a razor for a week before finalizing a review, I can say without a doubt, this razor is one of the best razors in my razor arsenal. I bought it for the need to do quick shaves, and I just love the fact that I can flick this thing around without any care in the world, I can go as fast as I want, and it gets it down. Is it mild? Oh yes! But is it efficient? Indeed it is! This is the perfect razor for me to use, on the days in which I just don't have time, or I am in a bad mood, and I just want to get it done.

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

PS: I got a Feather blade depository box to put my used blades in, works great. And also, a picture of the blades that ShaveNation sent me. My first tuk of blades made in India.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I am more blown away by this razor then I thought I was going to be. I was able to speed up my shave for sure. But there was something that was still slowing me down I discovered, and that was the time it takes to whip up a lather using shave soap. So, I tell you what I am going to do, next month I am going to order some Proraso RED Sandlewood shave cream in the tube.
Now you know why I started experimenting with face lathering about the time you signed up here! It is fast and with the right product, it can be foolproof. Not sure about Proraso Red, but I do have the Single Blade cream. Shave sticks are faster than you might think so don't rule those out either, they are also incredibly cheap.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Now you know why I started experimenting with face lathering about the time you signed up here! It is fast and with the right product, it can be foolproof. Not sure about Proraso Red, but I do have the Single Blade cream. Shave sticks are faster than you might think so don't rule those out either, they are also incredibly cheap.
A nice cream for shaving is the Gillette Pure with a unique mild clean scent with excellent lather qualities and for a shave stick I'm very impressed with the Speick stick, nice mild spicy lavender pleasant scent with excellent lather qualities, hard to beat. The Speick stick is triple milled soap also and will last some time.
YY Speick sticks.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
A nice cream for shaving is the Gillette Pure with a unique mild clean scent with excellent lather qualities and for a shave stick I'm very impressed with the Speick stick, nice mild spicy lavender pleasant scent with excellent lather qualities, hard to beat. The Speick stick is triple milled soap also and will last some time.
View attachment 1477744
Have some great shaves!
I am definitely a fan of Speick(spike)! I just wish Maggard would get the AS back in stock, I hate ordering items from multiple places when I just want to order a few things. I am also using LEA and it lathers easier and smells different.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

View attachment 1477744
Have some great shaves!

And here I was hoping my devoted loyalty to his magesty @FarmerTan , would grant me a gift of Arko, but now you got me second guessing weather or not I should go with Speick! Alright guys, honest opinions, what is better, Arko stick, or Speick stick? From Ron's post here, looks like Speick is the way to go, what say you?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I am definitely a fan of Speick(spike)! I just wish Maggard would get the AS back in stock, I hate ordering items from multiple places when I just want to order a few things. I am also using LEA and it lathers easier and smells different.

I know exactly how you feel! This is something that I have had to do during my wet shaving journey. I have to buy things at different places, because not everybody stocks the same hardware or software. I wanted to by my new Henson razor at New England Shaving, because they always have the best discounts! But alas, they don't carry Henson razors.

Sometimes I have to buy direct from manufacturer too. For example, I went to Blacksheep Grooming and bought my Captain Joe shave soap and aftershave there. BTW, I own lots of hard soap, except for one Land Ho cream gifted to me from Scott at Captains Choice. But from what I can tell, watching video's, the Captains Joe shave soap is a soft soap, you can literally stick your finger in, and scoop some out without a spoon, I think you folks call that a croap?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
And here I was hoping my devoted loyalty to his magesty @FarmerTan , would grant me a gift of Arko, but now you got me second guessing weather or not I should go with Speick! Alright guys, honest opinions, what is better, Arko stick, or Speick stick? From Ron's post here, looks like Speick is the way to go, what say you?
Buy the Speick, I've never tried it.

I'll send you an Arko Stick.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Presenting the Henson AL13 DE razor in medium aggression, with Steel Blue color! This razor demands your attention, its loud, its proud, its got a Wizamet Super Iridium blade in it, and its ready to shave, WOOHOO! :thumbup: And did you notice, there's barely any blade exposure at all, isn't that something? All the razors I have will gladly take a facial mole off, but this razor is a glider of precision.

WOW is this razor light! I thought my Timeless TI95 razor was light, but this Henson AL13 brings a new meaning to the term light weight. I was right about the weight in my prediction of it, I can fling this thing around like its a feather pretty much. The handle may not be the most amazing thing ever, but, it works really good, wet fingers not a problem, and it threads into the top cap pretty nicely.

The head design is superb, now I have two razors that look futuristic. The set angle is absolutely perfect, I couldn't believe how intuitive it was to use without any issue. I tell you what, if a beginner to wet shaving is willing to spend 70 dollars, they could bypass the Merkur 34C all together, and go straight to this razor. Why? Cause folks here aint lying when they say its like the DE version of a cartridge razor.

As you can see by my picture, the blade fits nicely in the grooves in the top cap. Base plate design is also superb, everything fits like a glove, and the handle tightens down nicely, holding the blade very rigid, no blade chattering here fellas! This razor feels very good in the hand, I literally had no troubles with it. While this is indeed a mild razor, its still more efficient and smoother, then my Feather AS-D2 razor!

When I look at the blade gaps, on both my Feather AS-D2, and my Henson AL13 Medium, it is very clear, that the blade gap is more on my Henson AL13 Medium. The Feather AS-D2 has a lesser blade gap, and that is why the razor is too inefficient. And it really explains a lot, why as much as I tried, I couldn't get along with my Feather AS-D2. Henson AL13 Medium for the win!

I really want to get through that ample sample of Timeless Ethereum shave soap. I gotta say, I am not really a fan of that shave soap, it doesn't have the best scent, and slickness wise, its not as good as Tabac, Stirling, or Captains Choice. I would say that its slickness is equal to that of Proraso.

Just a reminder, I got this Henson razor for quick shaving, hence, lets put her in gear 6 and go pedal to the metal, speed racer, vrooooom! 😂 I was amazed that I didn't have to think about my angle for a second, this razor's set angle is super intuitive! I went to town doing my WTG passes, and I was moving that razor fast, far faster then I would my other razors I can tell you that lol.

This razor took off a good chunk of bulk from 2-day stubble! The Wizamet blade was of course, the perfect blade pairing for this razor, as it allowed the Henson to effortlessly, and smoothly, cut those whiskers away. I re-lathered, and did my XTG and DTG passes, was it as efficient as my Fatboy on level 5 or 7? Nope! But was it more efficient then my Feather AS-D2? YEP!

I felt my face after I was done with 2-passes, I already had achieved a DFS. I re-lathered, and began my ATG passes. Swish swish, I flinged the razor upwards, whiskers disappearing as I went. Is there razor feedback? Oh yes there is! You can hear it alright, not as loudly as my Merkur Futur of course, but you can hear it. By the time I was finished, I only needed slight buffing to get to 100% BBS.

What I can't get over is just how smoothly this razor shaves, it literally glides with precision. I guess those folks over at Henson arn't kidding, when they talk about their aircraft grade precision manufacturing! From what I can tell, they are not full of BS, because their razor offers the smooth shave of a lifetime, all the way to the BBS. So kudo's to them for making a really awesome aluminum grade razor.

Also, some people reported that they were having issues with the razor clogging? I didn't really have that issue, I rinsed it out often, in my sink basin. Some people claimed that the lather channels were not deep enough for lather and whisker evacuation, I didn't have these issues. Now, time will tell on my 3-day stubble shave the following Monday, if I have difficulties with Proraso pre-shave cream clogging up in there.

In that regard, I have had that issue with my 1959 Gillette Fatboy razor, when I use my pre-shave cream, it seems to get clogged up in my razor, making it hard to rinse out. Hopefully my Henson won't have that issue. So the question is, how did I do? Well, I achieved, with some slight buffing I might add, a 100% BBS shave. 0-nicks, 0-weepers, 0-capillary bleeding, 0-razor burn & or irritation.

If I can apply that shave cream to my brush, and directly work it in my face and neck, that will greatly speed up my shaving time as well. So the answer is, yes, this is the razor I was looking for, and yes it did what I wanted to do, I amped up the speed of my shaves. But I am humble enough to know, I can still do better. And I will, once I get some Proraso shave cream lol.

Razor recommendation?

I recommend this razor to all classes of wet shavers, beginners, intermediate, and expert. Additionally, I especially recommend this to wet shaving beginners who are used to cart razors. Because this razor is so forgiving, you'd literally have to be shaving like a grade A moron, to hurt yourself with it lol.

Arsenal Slot Position?

The Henson AL13 Medium Steel Blue razor ties the same slot position as my Merkur Futur razor, position 3.

Conclusion?

While I like to use a razor for a week before finalizing a review, I can say without a doubt, this razor is one of the best razors in my razor arsenal. I bought it for the need to do quick shaves, and I just love the fact that I can flick this thing around without any care in the world, I can go as fast as I want, and it gets it down. Is it mild? Oh yes! But is it efficient? Indeed it is! This is the perfect razor for me to use, on the days in which I just don't have time, or I am in a bad mood, and I just want to get it done.

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

PS: I got a Feather blade depository box to put my used blades in, works great. And also, a picture of the blades that ShaveNation sent me. My first tuk of blades made in India.

proxy.php

proxy.php
That looks just like MY Henson AL13 Medium, same color and everything! :smile1:
Thanks for the incredible pics, really excellent!
The Henson AL13 Medium is one of three razors that I keep on hand and ready to go. There are numerous other razors that are in a case on the shelf. The Henson Medium is a very good razor.
So, when are you ordering the Ti22? 😉

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

That looks just like MY Henson AL13 Medium, same color and everything! :smile1:
Thanks for the incredible pics, really excellent!
The Henson AL13 Medium is one of three razors that I keep on hand and ready to go. There are numerous other razors that are in a case on the shelf. The Henson Medium is a very good razor.
So, when are you ordering the Ti22? 😉

I am happy to know that we both have the same razors, I see you have good taste Kix! With all the effort I go into, in order to take pictures, I am really happy that folks out there really appreciate them, you are very welcome! I wouldn't be surprised that you keep your Henson razor ready to go, its the type of razor that should always be ready to go, much like all of us.

I like to compare my Henson AL13 to a sports car, simply because of the sheer speed one can shave with it. And with that in mind, I look at Wizamet blades as like the premium gas you put in the sports car. Its the sheer octane that delivers the smooth shaves to ya hehe.

I spent 360 dollars on my Timeless Titanium TI95 razor, there is no room in the budget for another titanium razor purchase. I am going to be paying off this credit for the next several months. Good news is, I almost got the Rex Ambassador fully paid off on my credit, then begins the paying down on the Timeless razor.

And truth is, even if I had the interest of buying the Henson Titanium razor, I would have to change out the handle, cause it just aint right for titanium. I'd have to buy a Timeless crown handle, and frankenrazor that thing, souly because the Crown handles are far superior.

👋

Hi there, I’m a cart convert straight to a Hensen mild. I’ve been using it since January of this year. The Mach 3 has gone in the trash; I didn’t even bother to use the last couple carts. The adaptation period was pain free, if I didn’t hold the razor at the right angle, it didn’t cut. That’s all. No pain whatsoever. So you learn the right angle for efficiency, and voila you are now a DE wet shaver. Sometimes I catch myself pressing and remember I don’t need to, but again no pain. The only nicks or weepers I got was a result of pushing too many shaves on the same blade. So I’ve learned that when the shave starts feeling a little rough it’s time to change the blade. I don’t bother trying to count… too many things to use the noggin for with 2 sets of twins…

The unexpected joy is using a brush and experimenting with the shave soaps. I thought I’d just stick with canned Barbasol in the shower. Yes, this works great! But the shave soap scents are wonderful and I’m saving water shaving at the sink rather than in the shower 👍

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

👋

Hi there, I’m a cart convert straight to a Hensen mild. I’ve been using it since January of this year. The Mach 3 has gone in the trash; I didn’t even bother to use the last couple carts. The adaptation period was pain free, if I didn’t hold the razor at the right angle, it didn’t cut. That’s all. No pain whatsoever. So you learn the right angle for efficiency, and voila you are now a DE wet shaver. Sometimes I catch myself pressing and remember I don’t need to, but again no pain. The only nicks or weepers I got was a result of pushing too many shaves on the same blade. So I’ve learned that when the shave starts feeling a little rough it’s time to change the blade. I don’t bother trying to count… too many things to use the noggin for with 2 sets of twins…

The unexpected joy is using a brush and experimenting with the shave soaps. I thought I’d just stick with canned Barbasol in the shower. Yes, this works great! But the shave soap scents are wonderful and I’m saving water shaving at the sink rather than in the shower 👍

I want to thank you for your post! Its really great hearing about success stories from newbie wet shavers, who went through a cart to DE razor conversion, and came out on top because of it. This is excellent news! I do notice you joined up last year, so your not still a newbie, but I am still thankful to hear your story has gone so well, using the Henson razor.

Yes, using a brush to apply lather, was one of those unexpected luxuries for me too! I thought DE shaving was just all about the razor. But once you start applying lather, its like your face is getting a massage. And in the cold months, using a scuttle, now your getting a warm facial massage, it really is quite wonderful!

I highly recommend the entire experience to newbie wet shavers. But I think we all know, most newbies will start out small with canned goo. Then eventually we get them to use a cream in a tube, then finally, the shave soaps. And you are so right about the many different scents that make up shave soaps, so much variety, so many things to try!

I've been building up my soap base over the last 4-months, and I will continue to do so, as there are even more scents that I know that I will like from Stirling. I wouldn't mind trying out more soaps from Captains Choice as well, its just his prices are a bit steep for the amount you get, makes it harder to justify, especially since I already spent a lot of money at Scott's store already lol.

But yes, Henson AL13 Medium in Steel Blue for the win! :thumbup:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Razor recommendation?

Arsenal Slot Position?

Conclusion?

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

proxy.php

proxy.php
I get great shaves from my Henson medium. I usually use a GSB blade in mine. It's one of my top three razors.. I read elsewhere that it has been observed that this razor is more of a scrapper than a slicer. I tend to agree. Have you had the same experience?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Titanium worth it?

Titanium is always worth it, when you want something of the highest materials quality, and something that lasts many lifetimes. I can see how the Henson titanium would be appealing, but IMO, they are charging too much for what you get. If Henson were to drop their price to say $170 for their titanium razor, then I could justify purchasing it, because then I'd have to purchase also, a Timeless Titanium Crown handle, and change out the Henson handle with the Crown one.

But as it is, they are charging 250 dollars for it, and for that price, I don't think it worth it, not with that handle, like I said, handle needs to be changed out for a gorgeous looking, and functionally super grip, Crown handle.

I get great shaves from my Henson medium. I usually use a GSB blade in mine. It's one of my top three razors.. I read elsewhere that it has been observed that this razor is more of a scrapper than a slicer. I tend to agree. Have you had the same experience?

Thanks for asking! I too read that post you are talking about, and at no point, did I ever feel like the Henson razor, was scraping my skin. I think the problem that the person who posted that was having, is using the wrong blade in their Henson razor. Believe it or not, blade pairing is extremely important with razors, as not all razors are the same. I find the Wizamet blades worked perfectly first try in my Henson razor.

This is why I was saying in my review of the razor, how its an amazingly smooth shaving razor. Because at no point, did I ever feel like the razor was scraping. It was smoothly cutting the hole way. But I can see how the wrong blade, such as those RK blades that got packed up with the razor, could cause scraping, as they are known to be low quality blades, that I will probably never ever use.

I'm brand new here but just tried one blade of the GSB in my Henson medium. Felt harsh on my skin and not too smooth. I went straight back into my go to blade, Gillette Platinums, feel and cut sharper, smoooth and minimal irritation for me. Whack one of them in there and notice the difference.

Titanium worth it?
Titanium is worth it if you want a lightweight and strong razor. Please ignore posters who persist in sprouting nonsense about it being “highest quality” that will “last many lifetimes” etc. Brass will too. Stainless steel will too. Aluminium will too. It’s an exotic material that is merely an option. It is neither better nor worse than some other materials. Shaving isn’t aerospace and people would do well not to make up nonsense to justify their own purchases and obsessions.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Hello everyone, I have an update on my Henson razor, and the results are pretty much what I had expected, including a bit that was unexpected.

(1) The blade gap and exposure on the Henson Medium razor, seem to handle course thick 1-day stubble, and 2-day stubble no problem.

(2) I skip weekend shaves, so the following Monday I have 3-day stubble. And thats where the Henson razor begins to start being inefficient. It took more passes WTG, in order to remove the bulk.

(3) Once bulk is removed however, the Henson does perfectly fine with the XTG and ATG passes.

(4) Due to the 3-day growth, more buffing was required then before, to get me to 100% BBS smooth shave.

(5) I use a prorasso GREEN pre-shave cream on all my 3-day stubble shaves. On some razors, the pre-shave cream mixed with shave soap lather, can get stuck in the razors, clog them up, and make them difficult to rinse out. Thankfully, despite the minimal blade gap, I was able to rinse the Henson razor out perfectly fine, and wasn't exhibiting clogging issues.

(6) The Wizamet blade is still performing quite nicely in my Henson razor, I am still getting really smooth shaves with it!

(7) I am still truly amazed how the set blade angle, always seems to be perfect all the time, it makes it so easy! And I am also truly amazed, how I can always run over my mole, without ever nicking it! I think this Henson razor is the best razor in my arsenal for not nicking moles.

Conclusion: I still believe the Henson AL13 Medium, to be an efficient razor for 1-day and 2-day stubble shaves. Having said that however, if your somebody who only shaves once every 3 days, then this razor gets a 3 out of 5 stars due to inefficiency. As I shave 3 times a week however, the Henson continues to produce a quality shave as needed. I've used two different shave soaps, and both worked well in my Henson.

What is upcoming? My next plan in the works, is to test the Henson razor out with a cream. I have some Captains Choice Land Ho cream I'd like to try, hopefully it speeds up lathering time as well. Then, after that, I'll be testing the Henson razor with a shave stick. My goal is to speed up shaving times even still. And in the future, I also want to try out a pre-shave oil, to see how that compares, to Proraso Pre-shave Cream.

Top Bottom