What's new

Yates 921 questions

I've read the praises of the Yates 921 razors, and spent some time doing research. First question is what's the purpose of the stonewash finish especially on the top cap? I haven't read any complaints on it being rough and that surprises me as you'd expect to want the finish on any topcap to be as smooth as possible for better glide. The other head scratcher is they charge extra for this over the "as machined" smoother finish. I can see the bead blast finish being smoother than the stonewash but it still kind of looks grainy. Anyone have a comparison of all 3 finishes?

Second question is can you buy a complete 921 razor with the H or EH plate? I'm not into mild razors so it seems odd you are forced to buy the razor with the M plate that won't be used if you typically buy aggressive razors.

Third question is do they sell a complete brass 921 version? I see individual parts but not a complete razor even listed. I'm sure like most vendors that sell individual parts, you'll be paying quite a bit more buying parts in piecemeal than a complete item.

I'm looking forward to some feedback on these questions, as I'm on the fence about ordering, but the Father's Day promo ends tonight so I want to make a decision before it ends. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Good questions my friend. I have never used a Yates. I also found it odd how one has to obtain a complete brass version.

Perhaps I missed something?

The stone washed and bead blast finishes cost more because there is additional work involved beyond the machined finish.

With the stone washed finish you need slick lather and light pressure or there will be a slight drag feeling.

It's been posted here that next month Yates will start offering all of their razors to be built with the individual parts that you want.

Good questions my friend. I have never used a Yates. I also found it odd how one has to obtain a complete brass version.

Perhaps I missed something?
Yeah I was hoping for an answer about getting a complete brass version for another reason. I'm sure it wouldn't come in the normal packaging you'd get when you buy a complete razor. I had that issue when ordering a couple of Tatara razors with the small handles, they just sent me parts in small boxes not the cool cork presentation packaging I was expecting. They finally made it right but what an ordeal.

Another similar situation was on the West Coast Shaving order that just came in today. I ordered a Karve Christopher Bradley razor in brass and stainless steel. The brass one came in the normal factory packaging the SS came in parts boxes, and there was no indication this would be the case. When I buy a razor especially for over $100, I want the factory packaging, not just parts in bags or generic boxes.

61697DB5-FE19-4F42-A5DB-F07B41BEFFCB.jpeg

D31374D9-182B-4DA6-83E2-3FCB5A4E31FF.jpeg

Last edited:
The stone washed and bead blast finishes cost more because there is additional work involved beyond the machined finish.

With the stone washed finish you need slick lather and light pressure or there will be a slight drag feeling.

It's been posted here that next month Yates will start offering all of their razors to be built with the individual parts that you want.
I’m guessing buying ala-carte will charge a premium though as most everyone charges extra for this. My preference is brass and I’m sure it’s probably the smoothest out of all the finishes. If I knew they’d have a similar 15% deal for the 4th of July, I’d wait to see the revamped Yates options.

I have brass H base plate, but not an entire razor. I have both the original stonewash finish (slightly different than what they sell today) and bead blast finish. I had a polished version, but found the handle a little slick when wet so I sold that one off. It will be interesting when the a la cart ordering starts. It would be nice to get a razor the way you want it instead of having to purchase the 921-M and then add on other plates. An all brass razor would be cool too.

Yates H is my favorite razor to date....shaves are superb. They make a great razors and I enjoy supporting the small business guy.

I have brass H base plate, but not an entire razor. I have both the original stonewash finish (slightly different than what they sell today) and bead blast finish. I had a polished version, but found the handle a little slick when wet so I sold that one off. It will be interesting when the a la cart ordering starts. It would be nice to get a razor the way you want it instead of having to purchase the 921-M and then add on other plates. An all brass razor would be cool too.

Yates H is my favorite razor to date....shaves are superb. They make a great razors and I enjoy supporting the small business guy.
Great to hear. I bought a complete bead blast 921-M and a brass top cap and brass H plate. Also bought an as-machined EH plate. Seems like they will be shipping it out today even. Can’t wait…

Top Bottom