What's new

Yates 921-M First Impressions

No problem! I don't think (I might be wrong) there was ever a brass Yates handle, maybe a shorter thicker one in a smaller batch? So that's a bit of a challenge to find a matching handle that also fits the relatively narrow base plate space, but that's a fun problem to solve!

No problem! I don't think (I might be wrong) there was ever a brass Yates handle, maybe a shorter thicker one in a smaller batch? So that's a bit of a challenge to find a matching handle that also fits the relatively narrow base plate space, but that's a fun problem to solve!

Yep, the Yates brass handles are shorter and thicker and chronically out of stock.

Had my first shave with the Yates yesterday.

Tldr: it's a keeper.

How was the stock handle, ergonomically speaking? Did you find it too long or awkward?

I ordered this one, hoping it would work.

4062C3B5-FC59-41AD-AB34-51737F50E53F.png

$18 and change, but it’s on the proverbial “slow boat from China”

How was the stock handle, ergonomically speaking? Did you find it too long or awkward?

I ordered this one, hoping it would work.

View attachment 1477443

$18 and change, but it’s on the proverbial “slow boat from China”
Jake said there would be more handle lengths offered with the build your own option, so I am looking forward to seeing that hopefully next month.
Where did you order this handle from?

Reactions: Kix
I didn't mention it in my report because I never talk about design, handles, etc, only the shave.

But midshave I caught myself thinking that I actually really like this handle, maybe even my favorite one, which surprised me. If I could have chosen when I placed the order, I would have picked the shorter and stubbier one, but now I would stick with the slim one.

Completely unexpected.

The 3.25" thick handle didn't work for me. The 4" thin stock handle first felt awkward but really grew on me. It's a perfect fit for the 921 in my opinion - very nimble and agile. Switching to razors with "regular" handles is now more awkward for me.

Between the two I'd recommend the 4" handle, it feels designed specifically for the 921.

The 3.25" thick handle didn't work for me. The 4" thin stock handle first felt awkward but really grew on me. It's a perfect fit for the 921 in my opinion - very nimble and agile. Switching to razors with "regular" handles is now more awkward for me.

Between the two I'd recommend the 4" handle, it feels designed specifically for the 921.

Well, poop. I have a razor with a brass head and bead blasted stainless steel handle. I wish Yates made both handles in brass.

This is going to drive my OCD crazy.

“…OCD crazy.” That sounds repetitively redundant.

Nice....at least try the Yates handle. I was surprised how much I like it. It's too long, too skinny, but it works great with the razor and I ended up really liking it.

Hope your first shave goes awesome!!

I’m planning on using the stock Yates handle for my first few shaves. I wanted to see if the RR barber pole handle would fit. If I don’t like the stock handle, I can switch.

My first shave was really good. I’m used to a shorter handle so that was a little awkward but not horrible. I liked it well enough to know that I’ll be keeping this razor.
I may be ordering the M plate when I order a matching brass handle.

I was unprepared for the sound of it cutting whiskers. I watched video reviews but can’t recall it sounding like this in any of them. Weird.

My first shave was really good. I’m used to a shorter handle so that was a little awkward but not horrible. I liked it well enough to know that I’ll be keeping this razor.
I may be ordering the M plate when I order a matching brass handle.

I was unprepared for the sound of it cutting whiskers. I watched video reviews but can’t recall it sounding like this in any of them. Weird.
Glad your first shave went well. I can hardly hear mine make any noise while cutting. It’s one of my quieter shavers.

I didn’t really need to shave this morning but, hey I’ve got a new razor so of course I shaved. I’m finding the 4” handle to not be as off putting as I had anticipated, it’s actually not that bad.

Efficiency wise, the H plate seems to be a bit more efficient than my Lupo 72, makes me wish I had also ordered the M plate.

I like the quirky looks, the smooth/efficient shave, and the way it talks to me as it removes the whiskers.

I’m looking forward to learning how to use it well.

Top Bottom