What's new

Henson AL13 Medium Steel Blue Aluminum DE Razor (Just Ordered)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
A recent discussion on the board, in reference to how long it takes one to shave, got me thinking. One of the biggest reasons why it takes me so long to shave, is because I am being so careful maintaining my angle and using no pressure, that it just takes forever. Take today for example, today was another day that I woke up late, and I literally had no time time shave, before having to go to work, which means I had to shave when I came back home.

I've already known about these Henson razors for awhile now, but another recent post, was from someone talking about their Henson razor. And thats when it dawned on me, the Henson razor uses a set angle, and maintaining that angle, is gonna be even easier then maintaining the angle, to sharpening a mower blade! My point you ask? I don't have to think about it with this razor, I can shave quickly with it. And its known to allow you to do so, without nicking you.

1655793393923.png

I picked the steel blue one, because blue is my favorite color, and I think it looks gorgeous. Yes I know, the handle isn't as amazing as a Crown handle on a Timeless razor, you can't really expect an amazing handle for only 70-dollars. Also, this is going to be my first aluminum razor, which means its going to be my lightest razor in my collection. Just so you know, I am a fan of heavy razors, I seem to do better with them, but they are more traditional styles, not using this unique set angle that this razor does.

But like I said, because this razor is so light, I should be able to maneuver this thing pretty darn fast, and with that set angle, that I don't have to worry about, I can see me being able to shave at least 2-times faster as I do with a traditional style DE razor. As usual, I will update the forum with pictures once it arrives. But, if you would like to, you could beat me to it, and post pictures of your Henson razors. ;)

PS: Your not the only one getting an aluminum razor @LRod HEHE 😁

A recent discussion on the board, in reference to how long it takes one to shave, got me thinking. One of the biggest reasons why it takes me so long to shave, is because I am being so careful maintaining my angle and using no pressure, that it just takes forever. Take today for example, today was another day that I woke up late, and I literally had no time time shave, before having to go to work, which means I had to shave when I came back home.

I've already known about these Henson razors for awhile now, but another recent post, was from someone talking about their Henson razor. And thats when it dawned on me, the Henson razor uses a set angle, and maintaining that angle, is gonna be even easier then maintaining the angle, to sharpening a mower blade! My point you ask? I don't have to think about it with this razor, I can shave quickly with it. And its known to allow you to do so, without nicking you.

View attachment 1475600

I picked the steel blue one, because blue is my favorite color, and I think it looks gorgeous. Yes I know, the handle isn't as amazing as a Crown handle on a Timeless razor, you can't really expect an amazing handle for only 70-dollars. Also, this is going to be my first aluminum razor, which means its going to be my lightest razor in my collection. Just so you know, I am a fan of heavy razors, I seem to do better with them, but they are more traditional styles, not using this unique set angle that this razor does.

But like I said, because this razor is so light, I should be able to maneuver this thing pretty darn fast, and with that set angle, that I don't have to worry about, I can see me being able to shave at least 2-times faster as I do with a traditional style DE razor. As usual, I will update the forum with pictures once it arrives. But, if you would like to, you could beat me to it, and post pictures of your Henson razors. ;)

Congratulations!
I should have added, the ATT I ordered is my 3rd. Aluminum. I've already got the Lupo aluminum & the SCS! I wanted the ATT because I like the light razors as well and because of the interchangeability with my SS ATT.
The Henson you ordered is very mild if you're seeking that but it's pretty efficient. Probably comparable to your Feather AS-2! I have the "Winning" razor which is the same design but it's stainless steel. I put it up for sale recently because my liking has turned to agressive razors only. They are definitely unique though.
Hope you enjoy it!

Congratulations on getting your new Henson. With time, your technique will improve & your shaves will take less time. I can easily get a wonderful shave in under 5 minutes, but it took time to get there. When I'm not in a hurry, however, I take my time & a shave will take me 10 - 15 minutes, from lathering to clean-up. Developing muscle memory of good technique takes time. But one of the joys of this pastime is the only way to develop that muscle memory is to practice!

I’m planning on using my Timeless for when I need a quick shave. The 38 SB plate is mild enough for that. Or, I can use the OneBlade that @HazMat Shaver so generously PIF’d to me. Either is capable of giving a one pass SAS with zero concern of cutting off an ear.

You guys enjoy your aluminum razors. I’m done buying.

…………………for now.
You aint done buying. Quit trying to fool yourself. Lol

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Congratulations!
I should have added, the ATT I ordered is my 3rd. Aluminum. I've already got the Lupo aluminum & the SCS! I wanted the ATT because I like the light razors as well and because of the interchangeability with my SS ATT.
The Henson you ordered is very mild if you're seeking that but it's pretty efficient. Probably comparable to your Feather AS-2! I have the "Winning" razor which is the same design but it's stainless steel. I put it up for sale recently because my liking has turned to agressive razors only. They are definitely unique though.
Hope you enjoy it!

Hello LRod! I guess you do own more then one aluminum razor ha? And I knew that the Henson mild was as mild as a Feather AS-D2, but the medium should be a bit more aggressive. Also, I've seen video's from GeoFatBoy comparing the two on his face, and the medium was most certainly more aggressive, and took more off his face in single passes, over that of the mild one. One thing I loved was how quickly he was able to shave with it, and no nicks or weepers! Gotta love that!

One of the reasons why I like aluminum, is it won't rust. Also, when you see all those posts on the board from people with their Zamack razors, their just getting wrecked man! It seems like every week there's a new post, where somebody is showing their snapped off heads, stripped threads, its crazy! So these days, I am either buying stainless, titanium, or aluminum. I am just not interested in those mixed pot metals, I don't need none of that lol.

I’m planning on using my Timeless for when I need a quick shave. The 38 SB plate is mild enough for that. Or, I can use the OneBlade that @HazMat Shaver so generously PIF’d to me. Either is capable of giving a one pass SAS with zero concern of cutting off an ear.

You guys enjoy your aluminum razors. I’m done buying.

…………………for now.

Ya, you should see my .095 TT, that sucker is aggressive. If you don't respect it, its gonna bight ya! lol. I can see why yours with the .38 plate would be mild enough to not nick you easily. My mildest razor I have right now, is my Feather AS-D2, which as it turns out, makes for a good backup/touchup razor. But asking it to do a full shave on 2-day stubble, its not so good at that. I mean it will do it, but it will take all day to get to a BBS shave, and likely won't get that without some capillary bleeding of the unwanted.

That was nice of Hazmat shaver to PIF that to you. I haven't won any PIF's yet, but not that I have been joining in on a lot of PIF's lol. I am hoping that Captains Choice does another giveaway soon that I can join, his last one was pretty cool, but I didn't win it lol.

Congratulations on getting your new Henson. With time, your technique will improve & your shaves will take less time. I can easily get a wonderful shave in under 5 minutes, but it took time to get there. When I'm not in a hurry, however, I take my time & a shave will take me 10 - 15 minutes, from lathering to clean-up. Developing muscle memory of good technique takes time. But one of the joys of this pastime is the only way to develop that muscle memory is to practice!

Thank you DMSHAVER! Even though I've been wet shaving for pretty much 4-months now, I still lack the skill of shaving fast without messing up my angle. Other folks may be able to do that, but I can't. But with a set angle that you can't screw up, my hope, is that I will be able to shave quicker with it. My Henson will be used anytime I need to do a quick shave, and just don't have the time to really enjoy a traditional shave with my other razors.

And because of that, is why my first test with the Henson, will to literally put it to the test, and do a quick shave right off the bat. I need to see if it can handle it. I have course whiskers just like GeoFatBoy does, but it did fine on his face, and he's got multiple video's showing that. So I am thinking it will work out good for me. Plus that lighter weight of aluminum, should allow me to fling that sucker around like a Feather lol.

You aint done buying. Quit trying to fool yourself. Lol

I agree with the post from HasMat Shaver just now. You aint done buying, your gonna buy some more. Its like Subways, your just gonna keep refreshing, and refreshing, and refreshing. Ohhhhh look, a new razor, how did that get here? HAHA! 😝

Hello LRod! I guess you do own more then one aluminum razor ha? And I knew that the Henson mild was as mild as a Feather AS-D2, but the medium should be a bit more aggressive. Also, I've seen video's from GeoFatBoy comparing the two on his face, and the medium was most certainly more aggressive, and took more off his face in single passes, over that of the mild one. One thing I loved was how quickly he was able to shave with it, and no nicks or weepers! Gotta love that!

One of the reasons why I like aluminum, is it won't rust. Also, when you see all those posts on the board from people with their Zamack razors, their just getting wrecked man! It seems like every week there's a new post, where somebody is showing their snapped off heads, stripped threads, its crazy! So these days, I am either buying stainless, titanium, or aluminum. I am just not interested in those mixed pot metals, I don't need none of that lol.
The Henson is supposed to be a fine razor. And since you got the Medium it should be good. It's a tad step up in terms of mildness from the standard one from what I've read. In terms of those videos, I typically don't follow any of them though because their job is to sell. I yet to see any negative reviews from anyone selling a product! I watch the videos strictly for entertainment, LOL!! I tend to read about user experiences here on B&B as a guide when I start to research something. Real world users will show the truth since they don't have the worry of jeopardizing sales. I'm sure I've said it before, for me I read what users say here and experiment myself based on what I believe will work. And it still doesn't always work out!

I have zamack razors but they were starter razors for me and I no longer use them. And I'll never buy one again. I stick to stainless and aluminum!

Reactions: Kix
The 38 SB plate is mild enough for that.
Is it really that mild?
When I was interested in buying one, I kept reading how everyone said to not go by the fact that it's 0.38.
I've read that it's very deceiving and actually quite aggressive/efficient.
I guess your experience has been different!

Reactions: Kix
Is it really that mild?
When I was interested in buying one, I kept reading how everyone said to not go by the fact that it's 0.38.
I've read that it's very deceiving and actually quite aggressive/efficient.
I guess your experience has been different!

It was more mild than my Lupo for sure. When I get home, I’ll have to try it again with either a Gillette 7o’clock yellow or a Feather. All I brought with me this week to shave with is my Lupo.

Nice! That thing works great with your Bics when you are in a hurry, just resist the urge to push due to the light weight. You need to use a firm stroke, but not toward your skin. It will take a little bit to learn otherwise you can just use it and develop bad habits. By that I mean pressure and angle. The angle is fixed, but you still have to keep it on the flat, use swipe strokes like a cartridge.

I also have the Blue Henson medium. It is one of my favorites. I can get a BBS most times with it. I use a GSB bade with it. This was my first aluminum razor. After using this I am not put off by aluminum or light weight razors. Also consider Vintage Gillette razor. They are plated brass and are great shavers. They have stood the test of time.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Congrats! I have a blue medium and really like it. Easy, efficient shaver for sure.

Thanks Poppi! You have the blue medium as well, thats excellent! See, thats what I am hoping for, an easy efficient razor, to get me into a higher gear, and finish in half the time. I am so glad that you love your Henson razor Truly excellent!

Nice! That thing works great with your Bics when you are in a hurry, just resist the urge to push due to the light weight. You need to use a firm stroke, but not toward your skin. It will take a little bit to learn otherwise you can just use it and develop bad habits. By that I mean pressure and angle. The angle is fixed, but you still have to keep it on the flat, use swipe strokes like a cartridge.

I am glad you like my choice! So the Bics work good in it ha? Thats good to know. But, since I secured so many Wizamet blades, I could also use those too hehe. I managed to secure 500 Wizamet blades. Yes, they were just too good, had to order more lol. My medicine cabinet looks so good with oodles of blade tuk's in it hehe. The only habit I am going to develop, is the habit of faster shaves with it, at least, thats what I am hoping for anyways.

See thats the thing, because it uses a fixed angle, which is very obvious, I think that I will have less trouble maintaining my angle for faster strokes. This is the reason why I got it. I didn't buy it to be an end all razor, thats what my Timeless TI95 razor is for. This Henson is for the days in which I do not have enough time to have a lengthy shave, but if I can do a shave fast enough with my Henson razor, it will secure its spot, as the super de duper getter shaver done faster razor. 😝

I can't wait to report back on my findings with you. But alas, I will have to wait till it gets here. Ohhhh the horror, 1rst world problems. 😄

I also have the Blue Henson medium. It is one of my favorites. I can get a BBS most times with it. I use a GSB bade with it. This was my first aluminum razor. After using this I am not put off by aluminum or light weight razors. Also consider Vintage Gillette razor. They are plated brass and are great shavers. They have stood the test of time.

I am glad to hear that you enjoy your Blue Henson Medium. Its really great to know that there are other guys out there, who also enjoy the color. I say this cause Youtube video's show mostly the grey colored one. I do have Wizamet blades now, which are supposed to be similar to the GSB's.

You mean this Gillette vintage razor of mine?

proxy.php
proxy.php

You know what that is don't you? Thats a 1959 (E-3) Gillette 195 Adjustable Fatboy razor. And its an amazing razor, already got a thread on it, and have already finalized the review of it.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Henson razors are really enjoyed by a lot of folks who want a small gap with about 2/1000 on inch blade exposure.
They kind of remind me of the Gillette super Speed razors but Henson took it one step further with a built in angle that should be for a quick shaving needs.
I have a similar razor made by Yaqi called the tile head, it is made of 316 stainless and I like it. I have so many razors in my rotation that when it comes up once a month, but I enjoy it when I just want a DFS++ and it fulfills that desire of mine greatly.
You will enjoy that razor I'm thinking for those quick shaves you mentioned. The blade is held very rigid and folks like that and they have sold thousands of them, they have some nice colors also. Enjoy!

Last edited:

View attachment 1475600

Nice choice. I bought the blue as well when I got started on the Henson train. I liked the AL13 so much, I immediately bought the Ti22 for the added heft mostly. Aluminum is just a bit too light for me. I get fantastic shaves from the Ti22. Rivals all my razors in closeness and comfort.

Hope you enjoy your new toy.

Top Bottom